PDA

View Full Version : Gas Smell. Cause??

mjv13
04-06-2006, 03:30 AM
Hi. I have an 86 Accord, 5 speed. I have owned several Hondas, but this is the first Carb. model. Anyhow I bought it back in the winter and never noticed a gas smell inside the car but since the weather has gotten warmer it has gotten pretty bad. Have not seen any fuel leaks anywhere and did try a new gas cap to be sure it was vented correctly. Is it possibly the charcoal cannister?? Any ideas would be appreciated. This smell is giving me a headache literally! Thanks!......

fraza
04-06-2006, 04:57 AM
im realy not an expert but i would guess that because its hotter air temp the a/f mixture has richend up and your getting unburnt fuel and flooding

A20A1
04-06-2006, 10:40 AM
May be the Charcoal cannister, it usually vents the gases from the fuel tank to the carb when the car first starts to help with starting the car... hotter weather will make more fumes in the gas tank.

also maybe a O2 sensor.

shepherd79
04-06-2006, 12:45 PM
check your fuel filler pipe., mine has a little rust hole uptop. and i am getting gas fumes when i open window or sunroof.

mjv13
04-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Thanks For The Input. I Will Check These Things. It Only Tends To Be Happening When Its Warmer.?? B.t.w I Posted Some Pics. Of This Beast In The Photo Section. Thanks!

Soundy
04-06-2006, 10:05 PM
My previous 3G also started getting a nasty gas smell inside when the weather got warm... turned out that was a bad (venting) gas cap. The current one developed the rust-through spot on the fuel filler that resulted in gas slopping out when filling the car right up. There's actually a factory recall on that issue, so you might want to take the car to your nearest dealership and have them run the VIN.

NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 92V028001 - Hide Details
Recall Data: 04/15/1993
Components: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Units Affected: 920583

1986 HONDA ACCORD FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Recall Date: 04/15/1993

Summary:
IF THE PLASTIC COATING OF THE FUEL FILLER AND/OR BREATHER PIPE IS DAMAGED, SALT WATER MAY ACCUMULATE BETWEEN THE PLASTIC COATING AND THE STEEL PIPES, AND THE ACCUMULATION COULD CAUSE CORROSION WHICH WOULD EVENTUALLY RUST THROUGH THE AFFECTED PIPES, ALLOWING GASOLINE FUMES AND FUEL TO LEAK.

Consequence:
GASOLINE FUMES AND/OR FUEL LEAKAGE THROUGH THE FILLER ORBREATHER PIPES COULD RESULT IN A FIRE WHEN EXPOSED TO A SOURCE OF IGNITION.

Remedy:
REPAIRS WILL BE MADE TO VEHICLES WITH CORRODED FILLER OR BREATHER PIPES.

Potential Units Affected: 920583

Notes: HONDA ACCORD

(It says 1986 there, but it applies to all 3G years).

DBMaster
04-07-2006, 06:02 AM
The warm weather thing is an old issue. I used to have the same issue with the charcoal canister on my 72 Pontiac. With higher volatility fuels being used to cut emissions evaporation in warm weather will continue to be an issue. The charcaol in your canister can literally become "saturated" with fuel under the right conditions and then all that can happen is some of it starts escaping into the air. It's not a totally sealed system. The bottom of the canister has a filter so air can be pulled into the vacuum system along with fuel vapors to be burned.

Unless you have an actual fuel leak somewhere it is nothing to worry about. If the smell becomes bothersome you could experiement with different gas stations as the volatility of the fuel will vary slightly from one place to another.

bigal004321
04-07-2006, 11:10 AM
i would bet it on the filler pipe... mine is doing the same thing.. i just havent had the time to bring it in... kinda worried that they will be like yea you need a new gas tank as well and we arent paying for it.. or something like that

l3aLLa
04-07-2006, 02:01 PM
Well, I remember when I put my system in, I forgot to put the rubber piece back over the hole i used to go through, and i get fumes.

leia
04-07-2006, 03:40 PM
I was gonna say gas cap cuz that is what did it for me, but you checked that.

Really I'm just posting to tell you what a sexy avatar you have

Soundy
04-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Yes, glowing red eyes and bloody fangs are what I always look for in a man... http://www.soundy.org/emoticons/icon_rolling.gif

mjv13
04-09-2006, 07:09 AM
cool. thanks for all that!!!....