PDA

View Full Version : 85 accord , Cutting out at freeway speeds

Covelo
04-06-2006, 07:38 PM
I just bought an '85 Honda Accord Hatch and while driving at a steady freeway speed it sometimes flutters or hesitates just for a half second at a time, and sometimes it doesn't do it at all. It doesn't seem to do this at cruising around town speeds. Does this sound like a fuel pump maybe?
I just replaced the air filter, which was in pretty funky condition, which did seem to help a little.

Soundy
04-06-2006, 09:51 PM
Carb or FI?

Covelo
04-06-2006, 11:44 PM
Carby

MessyHonda
04-07-2006, 07:33 AM
yeah my car was doing the same thing too...it would like hesitate when i pressed the gas....so i went from cheapest to expensive....fuel filters, K&N air filter, fuel pump, and then rebuild the carb...my uncle does not really knoe about carbs so we just went to the junk yard and got one and put it in and since then it does not hesitate...its running a liltle rich but i can ajust it when i have time.

Soundy
04-07-2006, 07:36 AM
Most likely candidate: fuel filter. In a carb'd system, you're actually running off the fuel in the float bowl, a small reservoir in the carb. Fuel flowing in has to keep it filled as quickly as it's being used. If it's not being refilled fast enough at high speeds, you'll find your car sputtering or dropping out.

There should be two filters: a small cylindrical one just before the carb that's fairly easy to replace, and one built into the fuel pickup in the tank. Start with the front one, see if that helps.

Other possibilities: float level too low, dirty jets, sediment in the float bowl, fuel pump failing, dirty plugs, distributor failing, ignition timing incorrect.

smufguy
04-07-2006, 08:15 AM
when my car used to do that (fi) like sputter or hesitate and cut off and then come back on. It was the fuel pump.

Covelo
04-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Thanks guys... Those things you mentioned are kinda what I suspected was the case. I'll start with the filters and go from there.

Isn't this a helpful site we got going here?

A20A1
04-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Something else, just to throw this in here.
Some things listed in the link may/may not fully apply because your carb is a bit different then the one on the 86-89 accord.
But the venturies are all the same.
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48568