PDA

View Full Version : Auto Tranny, carb or FI?

Irish Devil
04-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Ok.. first off, I am new to the boards. I have an 88 Accord LX. I have a tech question that I hope can get answered fairly quickly cuz my decision has to be made by noonish tomorrow. I bought my accord knowing it needed a tranny, I got it for $100 and it is in great shape otherwise. I have been calling around for trannys and seem to come up short. so far everyone that has a tranny says its for the FI model, mine is carb. So, here is my question...What is the difference in the FI and Carb trannys??....if i got a tranny off an 88 that is FI, will it work with my carb motor??...if not, why not??..thanks in advance for any help you guys offer

forrest89sei
04-07-2006, 07:49 PM
--------WELCOME TO 3GEEZ--------

do you have the 1986-89 Master service manual?

I would think if anythings diffrent it might just be a vacuum line.

Soundy
04-07-2006, 09:21 PM
I'm no expert on the subject, but I can't imagine anything that would significantly different... like forrest said, maybe a vacuum line or something else that relates to the kickdown, maybe the way the kickdown interfaces to the throttle...

A20A1
04-07-2006, 11:32 PM
No difference, I used my Auto A20A1 LX CARB tranny on my A20A3 LXI EFI Block

86-accord-lxi
04-08-2006, 08:08 PM
I also used a f4 auto trans from an 89 dx in my 86 lxi. Bolt patterns are the same, cooling lines are the same, I have heard that the gear ratios may be different, and that the carbs are better, Not sure though. All I know is it works fine !