PDA

View Full Version : Hood struts?

Soundy
04-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Not quite sure where this should go... it's not really an "appearance" item, so it doesn't really fit under "Interior/Exterior".

I'm looking at adding some kind of gas strut(s) to lift my hatch's hood, instead of that dumb prop rod that doesn't hold the thing open far enough anyway. Anyone else done this? Any suggestions/caveats/ideas? I had to replace the hatch struts because they were getting weak, so been thinking of seeing if they'd work for the hood - I know you don't want anything too stiff as the hood itself isn't all that strong.

ZackieDarko
04-08-2006, 11:10 PM
i had this exact same idea not 2 months ago. the gas strust on my mom's 99 oldsmobile intrigue look like they would work for the 3g...they are really strong and dont shoot up super fast..you could look into those?

Soundy
04-08-2006, 11:18 PM
Could probably find just about anything at a wrecker's... I can look into those. I have a $20 credit with a nearby yard. Actually, when I was there today, I was looking at the little short struts from the glass on a newer Civic hatchback, thinking those might work... thinking something shorter might work better as I may be able to get them in without having to fit across the strut towers.

A20A1
04-09-2006, 01:35 AM
Maybe something off of an old cadilac... or maybe the new lexus... they have hood struts, very strong ones, I was quite surprised.

speedpenguin
04-09-2006, 08:02 AM
That sounds like a cool project!

ghettogeddy
04-09-2006, 09:37 AM
im am down for some info id love to get ride of the hood prop

Mars
04-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Wow, great idea. I too hade the hood prop.
Man, mine isnt even off the right car, so its almost too long =/

3rdgenhatchDX
04-09-2006, 10:01 AM
napa sells hood struts, i'm looking into them my self, once it warms up i'll have em by the end of summer i'm sure :) i'll post a how to also.

Gemini2003
04-09-2006, 04:45 PM
I have a $20 credit with a nearby yard.

lol where? pick-n-pull?

I was thinking of a button to pop the hood and then raise it :-) Is that what a hood strut does?

ghettogeddy
04-09-2006, 05:48 PM
lol where? pick-n-pull?
I was thinking of a button to pop the hood and then raise it :-) Is that what a hood strut does?i hope cause thats what i was thinking and also for the trunk

speedpenguin
04-09-2006, 06:16 PM
I think he just means struts so that all you have to do is raise the hood, instead of then having to pull up and set the prop bar so it doesn't come back down. But adding a button would be interesting.

MIK3
04-10-2006, 12:12 AM
Might want to check this out:

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21088&highlight=hood+conversion

Created it like 3 years ago...ironically enough, I am STILL working on it.

It's a tricky process indeed, but I'll post progress pics pretty soon. I'm about 40% done. I have right side brackets attached on the hood and the engine bay. I will finish this project soon enough!

Soundy
04-10-2006, 12:17 AM
Hmmmm, I started a reply to this and apparently never finished...

lol where? pick-n-pull?

Westwood Auto Wreckers. Bought a coil from them when I thought mine was going bad... ended up not solving the problem, so he took it back and gave me a credit. Damn sporting of him.

I was thinking of a button to pop the hood and then raise it :-) Is that what a hood strut does?

Look at the thingies that support the hatch on just about any hatchback... that's what I'm talkin' about, except for the hood. Lotta cars have them... they seem to be more prevalent on trucks, which have heavier hoods and can really benefit from the assist.

Gemini2003
04-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Oh ok! I understand now.... the shock extends and then doesn't allow the hood back down :-) I get it :-P

Good luck I'm waiting for pictures :-)

Cant Stop
04-19-2006, 03:45 PM
when you go to the yard check out a 1990 ford taurus, mine had the gas shocks on it they worked great. (they are on the hood of course.)

maxsideburn
05-01-2006, 03:50 PM
hmm...this cannot be that hard. I've had several cars with hood struts, I think I could work something out with a little time ;)

Soundy
05-01-2006, 03:58 PM
No, the only real tricks are finding struts that are the right "stiffness", so as to hold up the hood solidly without making it too hard to lower the thing (and possibly bend it in the process), and then figuring out how to position them - I've noticed that getting them to clear the strut towers COULD be an issue in a 3G, and super-short struts that will fit between the towers and the firewall may not be strong enough to hold the hood up, especially when mounted so close to the hinge.

Of course, this project has been put on hold for me for now... I need a new hood now that I drove off after forgetting to latch the hood pins...

maxsideburn
05-01-2006, 04:10 PM
lol, I just ditched my hood with the hood pins today. I got a new hood finally, because my old one looked like some sasquatch had sat on the very front of it.

HostileJava
05-03-2006, 08:18 AM
Might want to check this out:
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21088&highlight=hood+conversion
Created it like 3 years ago...ironically enough, I am STILL working on it.
It's a tricky process indeed, but I'll post progress pics pretty soon. I'm about 40% done. I have right side brackets attached on the hood and the engine bay. I will finish this project soon enough!

I knew someone had tried this earlier and I was just gonna search when I saw your post. I'm not sure if Rob ever finished his up either, but I know he was having problems because the struts kept ripping off the bracket he used.

Cant Stop
05-03-2006, 07:30 PM
just use the taurus brackets take measurements and if need be get dif struts/ gas shocks my company has like 9 dif struts/shocks that we have used and are currently using from 20 pound short shocks to long 120 lb shocks we even have some electric actuatars that have a 500 lb load limit ! put those on all 4 corners and raise car lol

Cant Stop
05-03-2006, 07:31 PM
i think the ford T strut brackets are recessed in the firewall but should be no problem to do.

Kabuki
05-04-2006, 02:48 PM
I'd think the units from the 1G Legend would be as close to perfect as you could get. Just mod the brackets.