PDA

View Full Version : Tranny fill bolt, left or righthand threaded?

maxsideburn
04-09-2006, 08:27 AM
I have applied so much force with a breaker bar to that bolt that I think I will break the tranmission apart... and it still will not come free. From the top of the engine bay I'm pushing the breaker bar towards the windshield to break the bolt free, is it possibly threaded the opposite direction?

88Accord-DX
04-09-2006, 08:48 AM
Your going the right way. Use a six point socket on it.
Edit- I checked it out, it's a size 17 mm. Also spray some PB blaster on the bolt, might help a little.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
04-09-2006, 01:06 PM
Mine came off with a lot of force on a 2-foot breaker bar and a 6-point short 17mm socket. Make sure that socket is on the head securely or you can easily strip the bolt head. Cheap sockets may have a poor fit and cause this as well. Just my $.02

AccordEpicenter
04-09-2006, 05:29 PM
dont use 12pt sockets even on such a large size fastener unless it is a 12pt. 6pt>*

maxsideburn
04-10-2006, 06:06 AM
well first off I don't have any large 6pt sockets. Secondly the stupid thing already stripped a little bit and I can't get a socket over it tightly. I would just hammer the socket on gently, but where it's located you can barely even get a wrench in there. In fact the biggest problem I'm having is that I simply cannot get to it. I can with a wrench, but then I can't put enough force on it, and with the box-end I can't get it on the bolt good enough without hammering it on.

This car must hate me, every freakin' bolt I try to break free acts as if it's welded in place, and I'm used to working on cars with much older bolts than these :(

P.S. It's been soaked about 5 times in Liquid Wrench, still no luck. This is getting retarded.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
04-10-2006, 06:44 AM
The contact area of the flange on the fill bolt is very large, which results in the issue you are experiencing. I have not found any penetrating oils to be of much help in this case. Your best bet is to remove whatever blocks your access from the top (in my case I moved the air ducts for my airbox) and get a short 17mm socket. Only the last few milimeters of my bolt's head were still not deformed, so I had to tap the socket on gently. It's possible from the beneath, although I managed to do this from the top. The idea is to clear up as much space above the transmission as possible to give you the most travel with a breaker bar. So in summary: get a short 17mm socket, at least a 2' breaker bar, and tap that socket on however you can. Good luck!

speedpenguin
04-10-2006, 08:22 AM
Put on a breaker bar and wail on it with a hammer. The sudden impact will do more than a steady pulling force will.

maxsideburn
04-10-2006, 09:45 AM
heh, I'll try again, but one of the biggest problems I'm having is actually being able to fit anything down there to hammer the socket down onto the bolt properly.

w261w261
04-10-2006, 11:24 AM
I bought at Sears a set of those sockets with the points inside, so the harder you turn them the more the points dig in. Those together with a breaker bar have let me get two things out that were really torn up.

bobafett
04-10-2006, 12:55 PM
deadblow hammer and a breaker bar, its no problem. :)