PDA

View Full Version : Head Lights

FORFREE
04-09-2006, 05:27 PM
I have a 1989 Honda Accord (Carb) I know that prob does not matter i was just woundring how much power should be coming out of the head lighs B/C only my brights work. And i was also woundring if there is 1 or 2 lighs inside the Light when i turn on the brights does the one bulb get more poweror is it 2 diif bulb one for low bean and 1 for high beam.

ghettogeddy
04-09-2006, 05:51 PM
only one bulb it should be a dual filiment did they go at the same time or one at a time

FORFREE
04-10-2006, 11:14 AM
The Brights still work!! just the low beams dont go on!!!

w261w261
04-10-2006, 11:18 AM
the usual thing here is that one low beam burned out previously, and you just didn't notice it. When the second one went, it came to your attention.

I bet if you replace both bulbs it's going to be ok.

FORFREE
04-10-2006, 12:51 PM
i just tested the head light (female side) and it read about 13.5-14 volts on high beam and read 0(Zero) on the low beam I got the car like this so idk when they stoped working.

w261w261
04-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Did you check the fuses for the low beams? I'm looking at a circuit diagram book on the '89 [Accord Electrical Troubleshooting Manual 1989 - a great eBay find] and it says that #6 and #7 fuses are for the lows. If both fuses are OK, it looks like you might have a problem in your headlight switch, although (a long shot), maybe the connector into the fuse box is loose, or possibly the wire is broken. The wire from the headlight switch to the fuse box is red/white, and goes into the back of the fuse box via a connector with 7 pins. Along the top of the fuse box are 4 connectors. Yours (c260) is at the corner and is kind of rectangular. The connector on the other corner is 8 pins and is more square and smaller.

Another thought - do you have aftermarket bulbs in the headlights? If you are pulling more than the standard wattage with bigger bulbs, the first thing to feel the effects will be the headlight switch, which will work with higher-amperage bulbs - for awhile, then it goes south. As best I can remember, I lost one set of beams from a semi-melted switch. And a new switch isn't cheap, but you can get one from a junker.

FORFREE
04-10-2006, 02:17 PM
all stock lights and checked fuses they are fine. And how do i get to the swich?

w261w261
04-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Get the shop manual online at: http://www.pauldesign.ru/ You have to pull off the steering wheel I believe. In the meantime, you could ghetto up a jumper from the plug that goes on the back of the lights (you still have the original sealed beams?). Solder or otherwise attach a short piece of 12 ga wire to the ground and to the low beam post of each light. Stick the other end of the wire into the plug. Go ground-to-ground, and low(at light)-to-high(at plug). This will light up the lows when the car thinks it's showing highs.
Wrap exposed wire w/ electrical tape.