PDA

View Full Version : URGENT!How do you remove the crankshaft timing belt pulley ?

86-accord-lxi
03-31-2006, 08:57 PM
I have searched and found several different options like, wedging a screwdriver on the flywheel, holding the pulley with chain vise-grips,
etc... I wedged a big thick flat head pry-bar into the little peep hole for the
timing marks on the flywheel, and just as I thought, It moves the flywheel backwards ! Which is scary ! I immediately removed that, And now I am at a stand still, I don't want to mess anything up, I am remving the head to have it rebuilt, And while Im at it, Im replacing the timing belt, cam seal, crank seal, and water pump. I called o-reilys auto, and they have a universal "cam
holding tool" to hold the cam pulley in place, But according to info I found in my searching, And the chiltons manual, You do not hold the engine at the cam pulley when removing the crank pulley. Also, It says the pointer on the block should point to a white mark on the flywheel, Well, None of them are white, and there are 4 or 5 marks close to each other, One short one, one a little longer, one that's longest (longer than all the marks), a short one (like a
sideways "T") and then another short one. According to the cam pulley the engine is at TDC, While the pointer on the block is pointing precisely at the longest mark on the flywheel. Is this right ? Is that longest mark supposed to be white ? The engine ran good prior to all this, and the timing seemed to be
precisely accurate. I just want to make double sure that I don't fu*k anything up.
as always, hints and suggestions are deeply appreciated.

88Accord-DX
03-31-2006, 09:21 PM
The crank bolt is the tightest bolt on the whole car. (said that a few times before) Anyhow, there is a few ways of trying to hold the crank from moving. Here is some I've seen on here & will talk about the way I removed mine without air tools.
I've heard of removing the starter & wedging the dog bone mount through it. You can put the car in gear (manual) & block chock the tires to help. Putting a scewdriver in the peep hole. There are some more too. Blocks of wood & stepping on the breaker bar, etc.

I had hell getting the crank pully off the first time. I didn't have air tools at the time. I had my father-in-law put a thick headed screwdriver (might have been a pry bar, been a long time ago) in the peep hole. He had to force & hold it down with all he had. I had access to 3/4" tools BTW. I had a (3/4") drive 19 mm socket on the crank bolt with 3/4" extentions past the fender that sat evenly on top of 4X4 blocks. The extentions where turned by a 3/4" breaker bar with about 3 foot of cheater bar on it. We tried using 1/2" impact sockets at first, but it broke it & went with heavy duty industrial 3/4" drive stuff.

My father-in-law & I still laugh about it on occasion when we talk about my car & what I've done to it.

Edit- I'll talk about timing maybe tomm, it is late.

1989accordaz
04-01-2006, 08:25 AM
I used an impact wrench on my 89. You can rent one if you don't own it, it's worth every single penny. It will save you lots of frustration and time.

Good luck.

86-accord-lxi
04-01-2006, 05:01 PM
I got pissed and cut the timing belt off ! If I remove the cylinder head, Then go to take the crankshaft pulley off, If the crank rotates a little and I have to rotate it back around to TDC, Will that hurt anything with the head removed ? This is really pissing me off. Im going to just jam a pry bar in the flywheel through the starter hole. I just don't want to screw anything up.

86-accord-lxi
04-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Anybody ?

88Accord-DX
04-01-2006, 10:15 PM
You can move the crank back to TDC on it with the head off. Look at the flywheel pointer with it hitting the "T"...

86-accord-lxi
04-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Well, I got everything figured out right. I ended up putting a pry bar in the peep hole to hold the flywheel, While my buddy busted the crank pulley bolt loose with a breaker bar. Worked like a charm and didn't screw anything up.
Here is the head after getting it back from the shop :
http://www.daisyscreations.com/brandon/head001.jpg
http://www.daisyscreations.com/brandon/head002.jpg
http://www.daisyscreations.com/brandon/head004.jpg
http://www.daisyscreations.com/brandon/head005.jpg
So fresh and so clean ! It got new valve stem seals (intake and exhaust)
new cam seal, and 3 angle valve job. The guides didn't need any attention,
and the surface was good enough and didn't need to be milled.

Woops, I meant to post this to my cylinder head rebuild thread. Oh well.

86-accord-lxi
04-09-2006, 06:11 PM
I am in the middle of replacing my timing belt, While I am in there, I want to replace the crank seals. I can't get the crankshaft timing belt pulley off. Is there any locking mechanism or something holding it ? I have tried prying it, but doesn't seem to budge and I don't want to ruin anything.

AccordEpicenter
04-09-2006, 06:17 PM
rarely ever do front main seals go on a20 engines, i wouldnt worry about it, rear mains leak much more commonly. Usually after you take the bolt out from the crank pulley i take 2 pry bars and put one on each side and pry off the pulley gently, prying too hard can damage it

86-accord-lxi
04-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks eppicenter, I'll try prying with 2 pry bars. I was just worried about screwing something up by prying on it. I already have the seals, So I'll just replace them.

AccordEpicenter
04-09-2006, 06:33 PM
just becareful what you pry on, i mean, you really shouldnt need to reef on it, they typically wiggle off. Dont loose the woodruff key, itll fall out when you pull the pulley off

88Accord-DX
04-09-2006, 06:42 PM
Edit- Usually they wiggle off. Don't pry on one side to hard, could warp it. If you loose the woodruff key, crank bolt is tightened on rotation of engine, so it isn't important.

T-Funk
04-09-2006, 07:14 PM
Edit- Usually they wiggle off. Don't pry on one side to hard, could warp it. If you loose the woodruff key, crank bolt is tightened on rotation of engine, so it isn't important.
i have first hand experience with some previous owner not putting one on and the crankshaft pulley flying off on startup
i know they say it cant happen but it can happen
its not a pretty sight either, its a belt massacre

88Accord-DX
04-09-2006, 07:29 PM
i have first hand experience with some previous owner not putting one on and the crankshaft pulley flying off on startup
i know they say it cant happen but it can happen
its not a pretty sight either, its a belt massacre
I'll remember that. I could see that happening with someone that didn't tighten up the crank bolt tight enough.

AccordEpicenter
04-09-2006, 08:43 PM
i remember one time, me and my friend jake were out raping his LS/Vtec we put together in his old ratty civic and i was coming to a stop light after doing a ripper, then we notice his battery warning like come on, and then we both watch his crank pulley roll out from under the car into the opposite lane's ditch. Good thing we found the bolt and the wrench for the spare tire fit it. Man that shit was funny.

86-accord-lxi
04-10-2006, 06:17 PM
I appreciate all the help and info guys. I managed to get the timing belt pully off by gently prying on it from 2 angles with pry bars. I got the new timing belt and tensioner on and got everything back together correctly. I jambed a screwdriver in one of the holes on the crank pulley to hold it while tightening the bolt.