PDA

View Full Version : Detailing products

Mars
04-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Hey guys, what kind of clenars/polishes/waxes/etc do yall use to clean your cars?

Ive got some pretty dull paint, and im trying to get enough shine to last me untill i can get her painted. (polishing, clying etc)

im also curious to what yall sue to clean your engine bays etc.

MessyHonda
04-09-2006, 06:46 PM
im not sure but in my autobody class we used a meguiars polish and i got to say...it came out good...my car is gold and you can see your reflection on it after the polish....i have to paint it anyways some one keyed it on top and rust it coming in

ghettogeddy
04-09-2006, 07:13 PM
i use mothers crome polish for my wheels, meguaires tire shine,mothers back to black

bullard123
04-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Meguire's qwick wax and qwick detail sprays.. Simple green works wonders on engine bays.

DBMaster
04-10-2006, 06:33 AM
I have used cheap purple can Meguiar's since the car was new - every 90-120days. My whilte paint still shines and beads water nicely. I have tried other, more expensive products, including Meguiar's Gold Class, but nothing works as well as the old stuff. I have added detailing clay to my procedure if I want a little better result, but other than that I shy away from the "quickie" type products. You can get good results with detailing sprays between waxes, but if you use spray wax exclusively you will need to do it more often than I do the paste wax routine.

kaltenacht
04-10-2006, 07:35 AM
Meguiar's all the way, pretty much any of their products for great... If you ever need a Clear Plastic Polish for buff out those yellow headlights, thats the way to go.

Toneloc5145
04-10-2006, 04:17 PM
I agree on the Meguiars....its some good stuff. If your paint is really dull, you should use a polishing compound first, and then afterwards use a regular polish.

When I started driving, the paint on my car had water spots and was starting to dull in some places from the neglect of my brother when he drove it. I used Meguiars Professional Fine-Cut Cleaner(in a tan bottle with a #2 on it) and an orbital buffer. That took away most of the water spots and oxidation, but you have to be patient and go over the area a few times. Polishing the car is what makes the car shine the most. I consider it THE most important step to making a car shine.

Once you do polish and wax it, keep up with it by washing every 1-3 weeks, and waxing it every 2-3 months. You should only need to polish 2 or 3 times a year. I usually use some type of quick wax every week after I wash the car, which help maintain the current wax on the car.