PDA

View Full Version : my car runs again, the beast is alive! Now with new(er) pics!

bobafett
04-10-2006, 01:47 PM
http://a20turbo.com/features/chris/

Well I never thought I would see the day, but yesterday my car finally got to see the road again!!!

First off, a big thanks to all my help during this excessivly long and drawn out process. In possibly alphabetical order, thanks to: Amber, Alex, Chris, Duane, Justin510, Justin86, Nick, Mark, Phrenology, Wayne, Zeph you were all a huge help!!! Also a huge thanks to anybody deserving that I forgot - I'm sure there are quite a few!

Also worth mentioning is Ron at Diamond Racing, Julie at Dan Hall's Automotive Machine, and the guys at Cometic Racing and Horsepower Freaks. Oh also Muchas Gracias (mexican food), Wal-Mart and Thrify's Auto Parts for being open 24 hours a day for when I break stuff, or need oil at 2:30AM!

I will try to get some more recent pictures of the car with battery relocation and gauges/safc installed. Maybe I will get a camera movie of the car revving up or something.

Anyway you can read about the specs of the motor and see some really old pictures from the beginning of the build process here: http://www.a20turbo.com/features/chris.html AND http://www.a20turbo.com/features/motor.html

In addition to the basic stuff thats done to the motor (just about everything), we used polyurethane on my motor mounts - definetly a worthwhile investment, we relocated the battery to the rear of the car and installed huge 250amp circuit breaker so it doesn't catch on fire. Most of my wiring (other than the last minute gauge install, and the hapless distributor wiring) is all nice and tidy and out of the way, and the engine bay looks halfway decent.

I could bore you all with the details and problems we ran into, but you probably don't care, so lets get down to the good stuff...

It runs.

Now it doesn't idle at ALL, but if you keep your foot on the gas and keep it alive it runs. We took it on a quick little 50 mile break in drive, and ohhhhhhh my goodness, its not the same car at all. My friend who was driving beside me said he was flooring it in first gear and couldn't keep up at all. I was about 1/2 throttle in 1st and shifted at 4000 rpm to be nice to the motor. :D :D :D It revs up and down SOOOO fast I did not expect it to be that drastic, but I love it. I think it's because of all the bottom end parts, its balanced and just so light!

The 259 ft lbs stage 3 Spec 6 puck clutch is awesome so far, there is hardly any noticable pedal effort over stock, but it grips WAY better than stock. First gear starts when I am taking a corner the car just starts losing traction even in I am not trying to push my luck. I had a really hard time driving it at first because I have to keep the throttle on so that it doesn't die, but once the car idles ok (will probably be around 1500 because of the awesome cam) I think the flywheel/clutch/motor combination will be easily daily drivable and quite civil.

We basically took it on the freeway and loaded up the rings doing 60-75 mph pulls in forth gear OVER AND OVER for 50 miles. I would shift at 4000-4200 rpm but that is when the engine and cam starts to get comfortable. It doesn't sound like the same car anymore, it is all engine, you don't really notice the exhaust anymore. Even Amber, my fiance said it is pretty much all motor now. The car is WAY louder, my ears were ringing after just an hour, even though I had the windows down.

In the low gears (1st and 2nd) the car is so light it just pulls through the gears really fast, but in 3rd-5th the low end feels about like what it did before(bigger cam and headwork probably dont help the lowend :P), reasonably slow crappy lowend. But man as soon as the 4000 rpm area approaches the engine gets PISSED and it starts to pick up noticably. I am sure that in a thousand miles when I can open it up that it is going to absolutely haul!

It runs kind of hot right now if the fans don't kick on, I am looking into a more powerful aftermarket fan solution with more appropriate shrouding. Cruising temp was around 200-210 degrees, but it shot up to 240 or so for a moment as I was pulling back into my house, however that calmed down once the fans kicked on it settled back down to 210.

If you guys have any questions or feedback I would love to hear it. And I will try to get pictures and maybe video at some point this week.

You can find some newer pictures at the bottom of this page:

MessyHonda
04-10-2006, 01:53 PM
congrats man...hope it was all worth it....i wish i had a car like yours!
when are you going to get it to the dyno...how much hp u think you have?

bobafett
04-10-2006, 02:00 PM
honestly im guessing only in the 150whp range. its really low (8.46:1 CR) compression, so its all motor performance will really be lacking. the shop that built the motor said they would be suprised if I got less than 160-165 whp, but they are not totally used to A20's and I think thats pushing it without higher than stock compression.

But when you add up all the mods bench race it conservatively it adds up to like 190whp, so who knows...

The setup isn't meant to make power until it sees a turbo in the works anyway. :D But hopefully we can get it idling this week so I can start driving it and putting some miles on it.

guaynabo89
04-10-2006, 02:29 PM
You have about the same setup as me but I only went 40 over and i'm runnig a 10 to 1 compression. Ialso plan to be boosted and hopefully by this same time next year I will be.

Congrats on the work.

ALso did you install the 255 lph walbro already? I have mine sitting in the box still cause I havent installed my jg manifold with 70mm bbk tb or big 288 cam from jg.

Do you feel your car runs rich with such a high flowing pump na? and what do you have your fuel pressure set to?

jigga89SEi
04-10-2006, 02:31 PM
So the turbo's not on yet?... What management are u running right now?Stock?

bobafett
04-10-2006, 03:06 PM
guaynabo89:
Right now my fuel system is stock other than an SAFC that is currently disabled. When I turned the ignition on, the light on the knob lit up, but the screen didn't do anything, so I unhooked it and jumped the mapin and mapout wires so its just running like stock.

i have my 282 cam in, and so far I LOVE it, but like I said I have only driven 50 miles, but I still have stock 86 LX-i intake manifold and tb on there for the moment. I am going to wait until I get stuff working properly before I start to disable and disconnect even more stuff. But I have an AEBS b16 IM thats all ready to bolt up, and a 70>68mm BBK TB thats been port matched to my intake manifold.

fuel pressure is stock, without a gauge at the moment. i have a B&M gauge but I have not yet installed it cause I didn't have any gas safe teflon tape. I may be installing that sometime this week. I'm pretty sure the car is running pretty rich but I do not know for sure. It definetly doesn't seem too too lean though. Zeph has a wideband which I may be hooking up over the next couple of weeks to see where I need to go with my tuning. :D

jigga: no turbos, no managment, other than the wonders of the pj0! I hope to be boosted by this time next year as well. also im reconsidering using my t3/t4 in favor of a GT28RS potato.

cke: I'm pretty confident that this is easily a 300+ whp build if I can get clutches to hold up and transmissions to hold up. The motor is going to be seriously solid.

b8er
04-10-2006, 03:44 PM
mad props on all the work man, glad to see its in the car, super stoked for you, could it be the most powerfull a20? was openloops around the same setup?

bobafett
04-10-2006, 03:51 PM
yeah i dont think i will be burning trannies yet, but its going to happen soon. i have 2 different plans for trannies. either A: copy jasons adapter and run a cable b, or B:rebuilt cryoed A series tranny.

i think its up on the top 10 most powerful a20s, but there have been quite a few turbo guys now, and oss had n20... but its probably top 5 NA a20's. :)

openloops setup was much much more tame imo:

from their site:
"A20a3 2.0 SOHC 12 Valve
stock bottom end,
cam,
TB,
intake,
header,
and exhaust.

This setup will make a B16 cry."

this dynoed 140.0 whp

i know they had a pretty radical cam on there too. i think this was JUST before the odb1 and adjustable cam gear. their accord ran low 14's with LSD different gearing OBD1 and cam gear i think. must have had slicks too... :)

MessyHonda
04-10-2006, 04:07 PM
wow that sound like a good increase in power...if our cars were not carb'ed(dx and Lx) we would have more aftermarket support beacuse ppl want cheap cars to modify...like civics...well as for me i want to make a healthy 125 hp...i get paid this friday and i want to get my carb running better cuz smog is in 2 months and a cam for low end power

AccordEpicenter
04-10-2006, 04:26 PM
sounds awesome man i cant wait until you go turbo

B16KILLA
04-10-2006, 04:32 PM
FINALLY!!!j/k :rockon: I'm glad to here its alive. :cheers: Are you going to dyno it before and after the turbo? Try to get some pix asap I'm anxious to see it.

bobafett
04-10-2006, 05:24 PM
haha i dont care about being the fastest or having the most hp. i just care about being FAST, and having a lot of hp. :)

its gonna be tough to beat jons numbers, even though hes on a c5 motor he is stilll competition, and I never expected this motor to reach those levels.

honestly im just happy to have driven it again!

speedpenguin
04-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Wow, it's finally done?
Pics! I need pics! :D Good job, man.

bobafett
04-10-2006, 08:38 PM
ok i am uploading the pics right now....check the bottom half of this page out, a good chunk of those pics are new!

i didnt get a chance to take a movie of the car running today, and i dont have any pictures of the motor in the car, but i can promise you, it looks like an a20 in an accord! nothing special other than the nasty array of gauge wiring that hasn't been cleaned up. :(

B16KILLA
04-10-2006, 10:50 PM
Nice steering wheel!.... I have the same one.:)

Cheeseburger
04-10-2006, 11:43 PM
looking good man!!!!

MattsAccord
04-11-2006, 12:09 AM
Good to see it the accord running agian. You and Justin are going to have to see whos faster, that if Justins car doesnt die or break.

speedpenguin
04-11-2006, 06:55 AM
Nice steering wheel!.... I have the same one.:)
What steering wheel is that?

bobafett
04-11-2006, 06:55 AM
88-91 prelude i believe

speedpenguin
04-11-2006, 07:01 AM
It looks good. :thumbup:

Hash_man_Se_i
04-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Congrats.!...

Glad to hear its finally up and running again. I definately want to see some dyno sheets or 1/4 mile times, i'm curious how fast it is.

Justin86
05-27-2006, 08:08 AM
Guess I'm gonna be taking a road trip here soon to see it run in person.

bobafett
05-27-2006, 10:21 AM
:) yeah currently down becuase appearently i don't know how to put on a timing belt properly. :) i am always 1 fucking tooth off (according to how the timing is set), but it always lines up perfectly on the flywheel and cam gear. must be the difference in height, maybe they shaved it more than i though... ???

anyway yeah all i need is to get the timing belt back on and not have it off by a tooth and it can run and drive. leaks a bit from the HG, and i still dont know wtf that is all about. :( but i havent driven it enough to really figure it out.

Justin86
05-28-2006, 08:30 AM
yea that timing belt being off seemed odd when I first heard.