PDA

View Full Version : flywheels ????

87 Honda Prelude
08-23-2002, 12:26 PM
hey.
i need some help n finding a performance flywheel for my 87 honda prelude......please tell me where i can get one or send me in the right direction.....thanks
Jeremy

Site
08-23-2002, 01:47 PM
Fidanza makes them - not sure where you can get them, though.

guaynabo89
08-23-2002, 04:08 PM
Try doing a search. There was a thread a while ago where it listed five different alum. flywheels for the a20.

PhydeauX
08-23-2002, 09:12 PM
They dont make on for an a20, or a18 if thats what you prelude has. If they did I'd have one. The lightest you can go with out getting a custom flywheel is to use one from a 1.8L prelude. It has a smaller pressure plate and a lighter flywheel. You'll save a couple pounds, not much, but better then nothing. Justanothermike had mentioned about maybe makeing some light flywheels. Never heard anything on it since. Maybe he'll read this and let us know whats going on with it.

andy

Justanothermike
08-23-2002, 09:19 PM
nobody has said that they would really put some money down for these so nothing is happening. Untill that happens nothing will happen.

heres wut u could have with them flywheels:eek: REV LIKE NO TOMORROW (http://openloopmotorsports.com/revving.mpeg)

PhydeauX
08-23-2002, 09:38 PM
I mentioned interest, but I think I was the only one. I'd like to see one in the 1.8L prelude style becase the act clutch is 2lbs ligher for the 1.8 then the 2.0. I was just farting around looking for flywheels and I found a listing for one from clutchmasters (for the 1.8 plrelude, but with the prelude clutch it will work on the accord. http://www.lightningmotorsports.com/clutch_masters_light_weight_flyw.htm. Its the only one in the honda section that doesn't have a price listed, but if its similar to the other hondas then its with in my range. I'm going to email them and I'll make sure to post my results.

andy

Site
08-24-2002, 03:38 AM
I think jteuton has an Fidanza aluminum flywheel. Check out this post:
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4082&highlight=fidanza

In the same post, there's a link to Options Auto for a lightened flywheel for 88-89 lxi for like $400.

PhydeauX
08-24-2002, 09:33 AM
Unless a flywheel from another car fits then fidanza either doesn't make it any more or doesn't list it on thier site. Mueller's site is also gone so I can't follow up on that one.

andy

night
08-24-2002, 11:34 AM
any competent shop should be able to take it down about a third.

the Si fly was 22lbs, the carb fly was 20lbs. i would take it down to about 12-14. anymore than that and it can become a pain to drive.

PhydeauX
08-24-2002, 08:46 PM
I sitll have yet to hear back from that place. Clutchmasters lists the flywheel on thier site, and they also want 458 for it. That seems to be the norm for all their flywheels on their site though. That site I posted before lists their other honda flywheels between 300 and 350ish so I would hope for a similar price for the 1.8l prelude one. They don't lists a weight either, but the others seem to be between 7 and 9 lbs. Mmmm.. I don't really care about streetability anyway, just bump the idle speed up a tad and deal with it ;).

andy

87 Honda Prelude
08-24-2002, 11:46 PM
well thanks for the info.......if you find any flywheel that will fit a 87 honda prelude......just email me....thanks....
jeremy

PhydeauX
08-29-2002, 03:13 PM
Well I found out that clutch masters has discontinued the 83-87 prelude flywheel. I did find this one from aasco on options site (http://www.optauto.com/webstore/product_information.asp?number=ASC-103207-11&variation=&aitem=6&mitem=16&back=yes&dept=1544). I haven't been able to find any other info on it yet though. Doesn't really work for me because I'd have to get a new clutch (only 2k on mine now, don't really want to change it) and I'd have to use an accord tranny case (prelude flywheels work in an accord trans but accord flys dont work in the prelude w/o mods). Looks like I'm going to be back in the market for a custom job. Anyone know of some good shops that do work like that.

andy

PhydeauX
08-29-2002, 04:05 PM
I found aasco's site www.aascomotorsports.com. They make no mention of a flywheel for an 86-89 accord. It smells to me like their flywheel has gone the way of the clutchmasters one.

andy

jteuton
08-30-2002, 11:16 AM
I've put hours of research into this so you won't have too. Fidanza makes an application for an 88 prelude 2.0 which won't work. Until I sent mine back they didn't know. Alot of shop think this and don't have their shit together. Aasco knows what their doing and knows the difference between the 88 prelude and 84-87 series in which they were the same as the 3rd generation honda. They no longer make the flywheel cause of no support however they still have the cad drawings and will custom make you one for a hefty price which is the route i had to take. Construction time is roughly a month.

PhydeauX
08-30-2002, 09:06 PM
I might have a solution. I've been doing alot of looking and cross referenceing and what not. Well to make a long store short, I was crossreferencing clutches in hopes of finding a match, and I did. Turns out that the 1.8L prelude uses the same plate and disk as the 86-88 integra (as far as act is concerned anyway, they both use the H-017 plate and HSD011 disk). Then after a few more hours of searching, and realizing that I was going about it in the wrong way, I ended up back on clutchmasters site. Turns out that they list the same part numbers (FW-615-AL) for their flywheel for both the 83-87 prelude and the 86-88 integra. Do we have a match, I hope so. The honda parts dont quite line up, only the disks match, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the parts don't interchange. This is all unconfirmed. I'm assuming that the information I derived from clutchmasters catalog to be true, but don't hold me to it. I will confirm this, I'll probalby have one on order as soon as the holiday weekend is over and I'll keep everyone posted.

Now I just need to get my hands on a lude Si tranny so I cant start my hybrid.

andy

stgardner
08-31-2002, 04:48 PM
So, has anyone machined their flywheel to make it lighter? If so, how much was taken off and where did they take it off from?

PhydeauX
09-04-2002, 10:37 AM
If anyone has been following this I found out today that the 1st gen integra has a 6 bolt flywheel, won't work with the a20a.

andy

Site
09-04-2002, 10:54 AM
I'm still following the thread.

If you're interested in having one custom made, call these guys:
Advanced Welding and Machine Shop
Custom Fabricators
Specializing in Aluminum
513-746-6800

They're in Franklin, Ohio (north of Cincinnati). They're doing my DCOEs intake manifold. They have a big operation (40+ employees). They seem like sharp guys. While I was there explaining to the owner my thoughts about joining/machining the manifold, he improved on the idea.

PhydeauX
09-04-2002, 12:01 PM
I'm probably going to talk to aasco. The prelude flywheel is so close to the accord one I want to see if they can work something out with it. The accord flywheel with the face of an integra one, if they'll do it I'll be happy. I did want to have a flywheel to swap when I do the trans, but I looks like that wont happen.

andy

Site
09-04-2002, 12:03 PM
You puttin the 1st Gen Integra tranny in?

PhydeauX
09-04-2002, 01:37 PM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5756 Yep

andy