PDA

View Full Version : Replace Tranny = Idle Problem?

JFreddy
04-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Alright so I just put in my second tranny, because of lowering my car... yes lowering... but tahts another story i'll post pics to prove later. anyways I put in another tranny, start the car up and now its idling spiratically or however u spell it.

like it will idle fine when started up, but if i rev it up or drive it when im off the gas the car will rev down and almost stall, then rev up and down for a few minutes. Now it seems alot like a vacuum leak, right now the idle is turned way up to compensate for it but i kno thats the wrong way to fix it and i cant find what is going on, coolant level is good. oil is up, I dont kno what else to do?

Any thoughts of where I might knock off a vacuum hose while puttin a new tranny in? that i could miss when hooking everything back up? or what esle to check for?

A20A1
04-12-2006, 12:31 AM
Check for loose wires, disconnected wires, broken wires, wires that were relocated for any reason.

PCV valve can cause a vacuum leak.

JFreddy
04-12-2006, 07:43 AM
I've checked for all the wire problems but I'll check the PCV valve

flexville19
04-12-2006, 08:02 AM
check the vacum lines really close cause when i put my first tranny in i had the same problem and i finally fonund a a small hole in the hose where the tourqe bar mount hit it

JFreddy
04-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Where is the torque bar mount? is that the bar thats attached to the tranny?

B16KILLA
04-12-2006, 11:13 AM
I think he's talking about the bar ("dogbone") that goes from the firewall and engine/tranny.

JFreddy
04-12-2006, 12:39 PM
OH... lol dogbone... theres the lingo I understand , How do u find vacuum leak holes? what if its a pinhole that cant be seen barely? My buddy told me to spray itnake cleaner on all the lines and if the throttle goes up then i've found a leak... woudl this work?

A20A1
04-12-2006, 05:01 PM
TB cleaners... when sprayed into the leak... not the TB will cause the idle to shift around, then it'll go back to normal. So thats how you know where the leak is. The more directed and smaller the spray the more you can narrow down the search.

JFreddy
04-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Alright thanks.