PDA

View Full Version : Delta 272 Cam, How do I tune?

JFreddy
04-12-2006, 11:13 AM
K, I just put in a delta 272 tri flow camshaft, I got the basic I/H/E and ur basic ignition upgrades like wires, coil, plugs, etc. and I am wondering what the best timing to be running with this would be? I been experimenting a bit but havent really found anything better than stock timing.

I've searched and couldnt find the specs on the cam either so I couldnt figure it out myself. I found some ifnormation but not the lift duration and such, I swear i have seen it on the site before but i cant find it again so maybe this is easier,

Should I advance or retard my timing at all with this new cam to get more power? and with an air fuel guage is there any other kind of tuning that I can do to get more power? and last but not least... Would putting premium gas in do much?

AccordEpicenter
04-12-2006, 11:22 AM
stock timing is a good place to start but youre gonna need at least a 2.25" exhaust, a B16 intake mani would help (bigger TB too) a bump in fuel pressure should help somewhat. I wouldnt advance the timing that much, maybe a degree or 2.

JFreddy
04-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Ok, Ya I got the 2.25" exhaust with no cat just muffler, header, full AEM intake, bored out throttle body new butterfly valve n all, how do i bump my fuel pressure up? new FPR? and what about different grades of gas? would that change anything?

AccordEpicenter
04-12-2006, 01:19 PM
change to an adjustable fpr. Try premium gas see if it helps

Vanilla Sky
04-12-2006, 03:19 PM
first mod is installing a cat. please, install a cat. emissions controls or not.

Vanilla Sky
04-12-2006, 06:11 PM
i have that with my turck with a fully functioning cat. it's not a problem.

JFreddy
04-12-2006, 09:14 PM
first mod is installing a cat. please, install a cat. emissions controls or not.

Whats wrong with no cat? I like the sound of my car, got alot of compliments on it lol... and i always thought... cat= restriction... plus here in Alberta we got no emissions.

B16KILLA
04-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Ok, Ya I got the 2.25" exhaust with no cat just muffler, header, full AEM intake, bored out throttle body new butterfly valve n all, how do i bump my fuel pressure up? new FPR? and what about different grades of gas? would that change anything?

If you do decide to get an AFPR let me know, I have one for sale.:)

w00tw00t111
04-12-2006, 11:05 PM
Wow JFreddy, sounds like you're gonna have a pretty quick little whip once you get it tuned. Correct me if I'm wrong you guys but, if he gets a wideband wouldn't he be able to just adjust drive in 3rd, and watch the ratios and adjust timing accordingly?*that is if getting some dyno time is out of the question*
Jfreddy do you know what you're running in the 1/4? I would be quite interested!

Vanilla Sky
04-13-2006, 12:01 AM
what's wrong with no cat? global warming.

in the states, it's about $100 to install a high flow cat. i honestly wish that they would make it mandatory for every car to have one, or meet super strict guidelines like japan does (this is a big part of why their cars are scrapped in just a few years).

shepherd79
04-13-2006, 05:41 AM
adjusting distributor won't get you far. You need adjustible cam gear. That will help with fine tuning of the cam, but you will need dyno and wide band O2 sensor to get it done.
Just enjoy your new cam as it is.
I am getting Colt stage 2 non-tryflow. delta 272 wasn't crazy enough for me.

PS. I didn't know delta made tryflow cams. the last time i checked with them they offered regular grinds. I think tryflow design is colt cams only. I haven't seen it on any other cams.

JFreddy
04-13-2006, 07:04 AM
Wow JFreddy, sounds like you're gonna have a pretty quick little whip once you get it tuned. Correct me if I'm wrong you guys but, if he gets a wideband wouldn't he be able to just adjust drive in 3rd, and watch the ratios and adjust timing accordingly?*that is if getting some dyno time is out of the question*
Jfreddy do you know what you're running in the 1/4? I would be quite interested!

I havent been allowed at Race city to see my real 1/4 mile time because of the damn neutral safety switch rule... but I have used a g-tech... lol dont kno how true they are or not, but with my car lowered, 17's on runnin reg. gas, and all the mods I have now.. I'm running mid 16's my best has been 16.4, I enjoy it though, b/c alota ppl get caught off guard on how well my car pulls at top end, its funny to race ppl and just blow by them as soon as I get in 2nd.

I raced my buddies 98 Integra, with a GS-R swap in it, short ram header and catback exhaust, (this motor has been through hell in back, so its not the best GS-R out there, and the car has been treated like shit), anyways I raced him... and beat him off the line, but he got a lil more of a kick in the higher rpm's and beat me in the 1/4 (or about a 1/4 mile) by his rear bumper being on my front bumper. Needless to say, more ppl watching were impressed my little 12 Valve kept up so well, and I got more attention than his car did:cheers:

3gn86lxi
04-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Its fuel injected right??? I have a 4th gen map sensor, give you more fuel with your cam.
My car screams.......with the Gude T/B and matched intake manni, very quick.
But I would do the 4gen map mod for sure......you will notice a difference.

JFreddy
04-15-2006, 09:49 AM
Yeah B16killa, just gave me that idea too. Is it difficult to install the 4th gen map? I'll go look at the How to. 3gn86lxi how did u get ur Gude T/B?

P.S. yes its fuel injected.

A20A1
04-15-2006, 11:25 AM
Yeah after runninig without a cat I think I can survive will a drop in HP by installing a freeer flowing cat.

Vanilla Sky
04-15-2006, 01:25 PM
with a high flow cat, you shouldn't lose ANY power. we're mot talking the crap monolithic cats that ford and GM installed in the 80's.

3gn86lxi
04-19-2006, 05:29 PM
3gn86lxi how did u get ur Gude T/B?

From another member, we traded some stuff. It's I believe bored to 68mm.

JFreddy
04-26-2006, 08:23 AM
Alright, so back to the tuning of the cam, I dont need a cam gear to adjust the timing of the cam, I can do it without it correct? to now do I advance the cam and by how many degrees to get the greatest power?

gfrg88
04-26-2006, 09:17 AM
it depends on what other mods you have.

Vanilla Sky
04-26-2006, 08:48 PM
no, you need the cam gear to change the cam timing. if we didn't, we wouldn't be looking for the elusive golden eagle gears that they made a run of a few years ago.

JFreddy
04-26-2006, 08:54 PM
But couldnt i just adjust it, without the belt on and then put the belt on after its x degrees advanced or whatver...? wouldnt that be the same just take longer then with a cam gear? now I could be wrong but from what ive read,

Cam gear will rotate the cam X number of degrees either way after u loosen the 3 bolts.... am i right so far? instead of using a cam gear, can I just rotate the cam the same X number of degrees as i would with a cam gear without it?

Vanilla Sky
04-26-2006, 08:57 PM
you mean have the timing belt a whole tooth off? there is a pin that holds the camshaft and cam gear together withouth the possibility of a slip in timing.

JFreddy
04-26-2006, 08:58 PM
OHHHHHH right..... I completely OVERLOOKED that ... oh my god... most definetly not my brightest moment...

A20A1
04-27-2006, 12:48 AM
Moving the belt/gear one tooth will only advance/retard in incriments of...
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50643

Someone said 8 degrees... Anyways count the grooves on the gear (42)... then divied it to 360 to get the spacing of the teeth...

360* / 42teeth = 8.571428571429*

So thats way more then 5* that was recommended

HostileJava
04-27-2006, 04:07 AM
Ouch, 8 degrees is a bit of a jump.