PDA

View Full Version : Tie Rod Question

Fuzy Navel
04-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Ok I believe they are called Tie Rods i think, anyways the bushings on it are like broken, like half of it is gone (maybe its called a boot thats what the honda dealer ship says) anyways will this cause the car to be hard to controll? like lets say your doing 45 and you hit a bump or go off the road just alittle and it like jerks the car really hard to the right acting like it has no Power steering or something... I know i need new cv joints because they are clicking at low speeds and when i turn but thats about it what you guys think?

DBMaster
04-12-2006, 01:15 PM
If it is just messed up boots they may be OK for a long time. Are you talking about the outer tie rod? That is the joint that attaches the steering to the knuckles. If you grab it and twist it and it does not bind and has no play you could go for a while. Tie rod ends are cheap, though, so I would go ahead and replace them as time and money allows. An alignment afterwards is a good idea, but if you measure carefully and thread the new ones on to retain the same total length your alignment might not be off by too much.

Fuzy Navel
04-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks alot man... Ya i think it is the outter tie rod in all i know is i went to a honda site and it had a break down of it and it said tie rod and didnt say if it was inner or outter but ya it comes from the steering and goes to the knuckle or whatever that thing is... do i have to replace the whole metal thing or just the boots/bushings? last question i promise :) i would problie do the whole thing but just checking

Fuzy Navel
04-12-2006, 02:17 PM
nvm stupid me i just figured it out a tie rod ends are small things with bushings that screw on to the big metal thing i found a picture of them on a website thanks for your help though :)

DBMaster
04-12-2006, 08:30 PM
Never a stupid question, dude. Just the fact that people here are willing to at least attempt to fix things themselves and do something sensible like repair a reliable old car rather than running out to get themselves into debt helps give me faith in humanity. American consumerism is alive and well, but at least it is in check with the folks here. The real disadvantage that most of you have is that you have not had these cars since they were new. With reasonable care they will be reliable for a VERY long time. Problem is that you never know whether or not the previous owner(s) took reasonably good care of it. At least it is an "abuser friendly' vehicle. :)

Fuzy Navel
04-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Well i know that the guy that had this before didnt take good care of it lol the whole suspension is screwed up, every bushing needs replaced, struts and springs are bad wouldnt be suprised if the sway bars are bent :P but the motor is fine but ya i love working on these little honda but i dont know nothing about suspension all i know is engine work... but ya your right man thanks by the way, oh and i went out and bought the parts at autozone Duralast 12 dollars each. Gonna put them on tommrow shouldnt take me but 1 hour (I hope) :P

DBMaster
04-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Be as careful as you can to measure the total length of tie rod before you remove the ends and try to match it with the new ones. If your luck is like mine you will probably still need to go for an aligment when you get done - tire are expensive!

Good luck with it!

Fuzy Navel
04-14-2006, 05:48 AM
Well, I got them done yesterday both sides used a puller and popped them out, and i counted the threads thats what my grandpa said to do is just make it or count the threads so i did and i think its fine on alignment not sure but its cheap to get them aligned around here so i will problie get it done in a week or so, It runs alot smoother now and everything its sweet Thanks for all your help

Blkblurr
04-16-2006, 05:47 PM
When you check it out make sure it's good because if it breaks when you're driving, you will have a l difficult time steering. If you have any suspicions about it being bad, just replace them. It's the smart and safe thing to do.

StressSolutions
06-15-2006, 08:26 PM
Bad struts/springs will cause problems with the way the car handles, esp with bumps or rough roads. A good strut will keep the tire on the ground, a bad strut doesn't care anymore.

Blkblurr
06-16-2006, 05:27 AM
Never a stupid question, dude. Just the fact that people here are willing to at least attempt to fix things themselves and do something sensible like repair a reliable old car rather than running out to get themselves into debt helps give me faith in humanity. American consumerism is alive and well, but at least it is in check with the folks here. The real disadvantage that most of you have is that you have not had these cars since they were new. With reasonable care they will be reliable for a VERY long time. Problem is that you never know whether or not the previous owner(s) took reasonably good care of it. At least it is an "abuser friendly' vehicle. :)
I wonder how many people on this site have owned their Accord since it was new?

MessyHonda
06-16-2006, 07:11 AM
I wonder how many people on this site have owned their Accord since it was new?
:wave: PICK ME! i have still got the original receipt...it says it came with 12 original miles. and my mom got the A/C for it