PDA

View Full Version : HELP ! rebuilt head, won't start, PLEASE !

86-accord-lxi
04-12-2006, 04:51 PM
I had the cylinder head rebuilt, just got everything back together. Now it won't start. I also replaced the timing belt and followed the directiuons closely, it took me 4 hours to do the timing belt. I made sure I did everything right, But no start, It just turns over, then makes a little bit of a back fire noise, nothing major. :wtf: What could be wrong ? Please help me !

A20A1
04-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Ground wire...

you must of removed a ground wire when you removed the head.

Make sure you reconnect the ground wire from the wireharness/wireloom, to the thermostat housing bolt.

Also connect any other ground or electrical wires you might have removed, or relocated somewhere else by mistake.

86-accord-lxi
04-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Im pretty sure I got all the electrical connected right, I'll check again to make sure. I turned the engine over by hand to make sure I got the timing belt on right, as far as I can tell It is. The marks on the cam pulley are alligned with the head surface and the "up" mark is up at the top of the pulley parallel with the head. The pointer on the block is dead on the
"white mark" above the sideways "T" . I removed the distributor, and made sure that the rotor was at the "I" mark on the distributor cap, which is cylinder 1. I am stumped and pissed and broken hearted. The car ran great prior to all this.

AccordEpicenter
04-12-2006, 07:05 PM
check your firing order. Weve fuct this up 857493x when rebuilding/messing with heads/ignition.

B16KILLA
04-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Ground wire...

you must of removed a ground wire when you removed the head.

Make sure you reconnect the ground wire from the wireharness/wireloom, to the thermostat housing bolt.

Also connect any other ground or electrical wires you might have removed, or relocated somewhere else by mistake.

Whats up with this thermostat housing ground that I keep on hearing about? I dont have one and my car runs fine.

86-accord-lxi
04-13-2006, 09:31 AM
I had the plug wires on wrong according to the chiltons manual, the firing order is 4213(clockwise) on the distributor , and 4321 on the engine. But now, The starter won't engage, I just hear a "click" when I try starting the car. Tried jumping to see if the battery was low, But still does the same "click"
:wtf: I am certain I got the timing belt on right, I turned the engine by hand
a few times to check the timing marks on the cam pulley and flywheel, They look dead on, But the slightest increment of movement on the crankshaft,
makes a big difference in position on the flywheel, and barely any difference in position on the cam pulley. If the timing is off any, It's only like 1 tooth, But wouldn't it be more obvious ? I mean, It looks dead on :wtf: Please help !

FORFREE
04-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Tour started might be stuck in the spot if u shake it a lil u might be able to do it or take the cover off and move it back and forth that happend to me when i had the car sitting for a while

A20A1
04-13-2006, 11:29 AM
The diamter of the crank and cam and flywheel are all different... so yes there is supposed to be a difference in the amount of change you see on the cam gear and the change in the flywheel.

86-accord-lxi
04-13-2006, 12:36 PM
The diamter of the crank and cam and flywheel are all different... so yes there is supposed to be a difference in the amount of change you see on the cam gear and the change in the flywheel.
How do you know for sure that the timing belt isn't off a tooth ?
According to the timing marks at the cam pulley and flywheel, The timing is dead on. Anyway, I am pretty sure I got the timing belt on right. At first i didn't have the firing order right, I corrected it. Now the starter won't work.
When I trun the key, all the idiot lights come on, the fuel pump kicks in, and I hear a single "click" When I try starting it. The only thing I can come up with is that the starter or starter solenoid are bad. I am going to take the starter
to autozone and they will check it to see if it's bad. If so, I'll get a new one, and hopefully the car will start. The last thing I want to do is have to re-do
the timing belt, augh !!! :thumbdn: I hope it was just the firing order.

Tour started might be stuck in the spot if u shake it a lil u might be able to do it or take the cover off and move it back and forth that happend to me when i had the car sitting for a while
No offense, But what did you just say there ^ ?

86-accord-lxi
04-13-2006, 03:23 PM
Aughhhh, Well... Autozone tested the starter, It's good. I am at a total and udder loss, :wtf: Why does it just make a single "click" when I try starting it ? please, someone help ! I absolutley have to have the car running by sunday night. I start vo-tech and have to drive 35 minutes to and from.

86-accord-lxi
04-13-2006, 04:21 PM
It's ALIVE !!!! Woot! It turns out the battery connectors were a little dirty,
I cleaned them up with steel wool, cleaned the terminals and wolla ! She runs damn good, and no smoking either. I appreciate the help and suggestions guys ! All thats left is bleeding the brakes, Then I get to test drive her !

B16KILLA
04-13-2006, 04:23 PM
YAAAAAAAAAY!!! Thats good to hear, I'm glad you got it taken care of

speedpenguin
04-14-2006, 08:16 AM
It's ALIVE !!!! Woot! It turns out the battery connectors were a little dirty,
I cleaned them up with steel wool, cleaned the terminals and wolla ! She runs damn good, and no smoking either. I appreciate the help and suggestions guys ! All thats left is bleeding the brakes, Then I get to test drive her !
:lol:
That should go in "It couldn't be that stupid" thread.

86-accord-lxi
04-14-2006, 05:17 PM
That should go in "It couldn't be that stupid" thread.
ha ha, Yeah. Something so small and simple. I took her out on the road for the first time today and she is running excellent ! The brakes feel like a brand new cars ! Im thinking about doing a 5 speed swap if I have time this summer.
Not sure yet, I'll have to see how this automajic works out . It seems to be working like it should, although I think I should fine tune the throttle valve cable. Now I can start working on cosmetics, The paint is peeling on my hood and passenger side fender. I need to get better looking rims and tires too.
Im running stock 13" alloys. On the inside of the rims it says their enkei, I had no clue honda wheel were made by enkei .

A20A1
04-14-2006, 05:33 PM
I think a lot of companies want to get into bed with Honda when it comes to providing OEM parts and Accessories. Go Enkei. :)