PDA

View Full Version : my intercooler and oil line kit

SQ is the SQUAD
04-14-2006, 01:48 PM
they came in today

intercooler by custom coach of america. i got it for $110 shipped brand new from a member over at homemadeturbo.com its just zip tied for measurments, i gonna weld it in place

i ordered the oilline kit off ebay from tunertoys. its the stealth mode performanc kit. i tihnk it came up to like $93 shipped

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/1978/intercooler2va.jpg

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/4347/intercooler23ho.jpg

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/3248/intercooler33oy.jpg

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/9646/intercooler40mw.jpg

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/3343/intercooler55ri.jpg

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/42/oilkit1xk.jpg

MessyHonda
04-14-2006, 04:28 PM
looks cool but are you going to change out the grill ont he bumper to like mesh?
is they a such thing as water cooled intercolor? thoes would be beter since water has a high specific heat compared to air.

gfrg88
04-14-2006, 04:58 PM
paint the intercooler flat black!!!!! sleeper style :D

snoopyloopy
04-14-2006, 05:13 PM
nice. what are you running to boost air through that puppy?

thoes would be beter since water has a high specific heat compared to air.
yeah, they have them. accord[either epicenter or theory, i can't remember] is selling one in the forced induction section of the forum.

A20A1
04-14-2006, 05:23 PM
paint the intercooler flat black!!!!! sleeper style :D
It's hard enough to see as is, don't paint it.

speedpenguin
04-14-2006, 05:51 PM
Painting it black will also make it less effective.

mkymonkey
04-14-2006, 07:30 PM
please explain ^

speedpenguin
04-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Black absorbs heat, which would then make your intercooler hotter, which is not what you want.

AccordEpicenter
04-14-2006, 07:52 PM
bah the actual decrease in efficiency by painting it flat black would be like .01% or somthing very very small.. Im not even sure it would be measureable in air intake temps. I have the same exact CCA FMIC, its a quality piece. I notched the bumper about 1/2" and made it fit like that, looks like youre gonna make it fit without it, which is good if you can do that. I rock the tuner toys oil lines also, they are very nice and worth the money for the kit.

speedpenguin
04-14-2006, 07:56 PM
You're the expert, so I'm not going to argue, but I think it could be more than that, just by comparing even the difference between black cars and white ones there is a noticeavle difference in interior heat

mkymonkey
04-14-2006, 08:23 PM
black only absorbs (sp?) heat when it comes to light. atmospheric temperatures have nothing to do with colors.

speedpenguin
04-14-2006, 08:28 PM
black only absorbs (sp?) heat when it comes to light. atmospheric temperatures have nothing to do with colors.
Actually, that's not true, why do you think you so rarely see black cold-air intakes. Heat is energy. Light is just a visible form of energy. Go out onto a blacktop road on a sunny day in winter and again in summer. Compare it to say a concrete sidewalk that is white. You'll see what I'm talking about.

AccordEpicenter
04-14-2006, 08:34 PM
well im not an expert (thx anyway) but say if you were going 40mph, any direct sunlight or radiant heat would probably have a very minimal effect considering the high speed of airflow around the core. Im not saying it wont have an effect i just think it would be negligable. I do hear what youre saying though.

MessyHonda
04-14-2006, 08:35 PM
ok why would you want to paint it...let the poor intercooler be the way it was ment to be...untouched and doing its work... the color has a lilbit to do but the metal is what counts...the best heat trasfer is silver, coper, gold and then aluminum...on my computer i had a aluminum heatsink and my computer would run at like 50c and now i have a coper one with a slower fan and it idels at 30C...silver is still the best thats why artic SILVER 5 thermal paste cost so much(20 bucks for a 12 gram tube)

mkymonkey
04-14-2006, 08:41 PM
yeah dude but an egg is not going to cook faster on a black frying pan vs a stainless steel one right? from my understanding the color black absorbs all the colors in the light spectrum therefore not reflecting any as the color white. white is the absense of color and black is all the colors combined.

edit. my response was meant for your previous post messy...you guys posted as i was typing

AccordEpicenter
04-14-2006, 08:47 PM
So you guys know, that intercooler comes clearcoated from CCA (its not painted silver, shows the craftsmanship) if you wanted, you could anodize the damn thing too. The coating thickness is going to matter more than its color efficiency wise, so if you put like say, 10 coats of clearcoat on it to make it look sweet, then youre gonna start losing efficiency vs say 1 light coat of flat black. The reason to paint it is to hide the intercooler, people notice when your car has a big silvery radiator looking object taking up the entire front bumper, flat black is sleeper

gfrg88
04-14-2006, 10:49 PM
flat black is the only way to go!!! :D i know a couple of people that have ran intercoolers without painting them and then they paint them flat black and they say they dont see a difference at all

88accordhb
04-14-2006, 10:49 PM
go all out victor, paint the bitch black. keep the grill. mother freakin sleeper.

speedpenguin
04-15-2006, 07:46 AM
So you guys know, that intercooler comes clearcoated from CCA (its not painted silver, shows the craftsmanship) if you wanted, you could anodize the damn thing too. The coating thickness is going to matter more than its color efficiency wise, so if you put like say, 10 coats of clearcoat on it to make it look sweet, then youre gonna start losing efficiency vs say 1 light coat of flat black. The reason to paint it is to hide the intercooler, people notice when your car has a big silvery radiator looking object taking up the entire front bumper, flat black is sleeper
True, material does matter more than color. And the airflow is a good point as well. In general, though, I'm not going to paint metal underhood components black if I can help it, especially when it comes to airflow.

AccordEpicenter
04-15-2006, 11:16 AM
i do it for the stealth factor ;)

SQ is the SQUAD
04-16-2006, 11:14 AM
i been thinknig about painting it, but i worry about my half ass craftsmanship. it will prob peel fast. i am gonna cut odd the lil lip on the bottom of the bumper support so that it firs better, that was i can get my slim fans to push air on the civic half radiator and ac condensor. i got 2 12" half fans for $105 shipped.

HondaSi88
04-22-2006, 07:43 AM
i just picked up the same oil line kit for 87.00 best kit out there for the price!

AccordEpicenter
04-22-2006, 08:48 AM
yeah the actual fittings like the T and the drain flange are some of the best ive seen. Most of the time people use plain brass T's and somtimes they break. I really think that stainless braided lines for the oil feed at least are a must.

SQ is the SQUAD
04-22-2006, 09:22 AM
i have one of those oil filter adapter plates so i am going to use that inplace of the brass fitting. that was i dont have to have the oil pressure switch and oil line hanging off of it

mykwikcoupe
04-22-2006, 09:20 PM
I used his fitting with earls hoses. i dont like the sady braided look. i went all out. I love his fittingsas they are true treads and not all the same. I got his firewall kit, fitting for the turbo supply and drain, earls hoses all said it was like 250 but it should be a killer looking install all the hoses are the proper length with permanent ends. Its nice too theres room under the bumper for the fmic. i havent even test mounted mine yet

SQ is the SQUAD
04-22-2006, 10:02 PM
what intercooler did you get?

mykwikcoupe
04-23-2006, 12:06 AM
im running a precision 26.25x3.5x6.25 with 2.5 ins and outs. Ive got a precision sc32 to match with a stage 3 turbine, tial 35mm wastegate, hks bov, hks evc 4 boost controller, innovate wideband lm1, running b16 intake on b20a with the works. Or will be if I ever get back on this project

SQ is the SQUAD
04-23-2006, 05:49 AM
sounds good

halxi
04-23-2006, 11:19 PM
you should paint your intercooler black, damn that would keep it 100% sleeper...

sweet deal though, cant wait to see it turbo'd!
hows the manifold commin along?

SQ is the SQUAD
04-24-2006, 03:39 AM
the manifold is at the shop getting fabbed up, waitting for the guy to call me back. even if i got thruogh the trouble of painting it black, everyone is still gonna konw its turbo

gfrg88
04-24-2006, 07:45 AM
not everyone, for far away, or inside a car they wont see the intercooler unless they look real close :D

SQ is the SQUAD
04-24-2006, 08:22 AM
if your car is fast, people will talk about it. sooner or later everyone will know, plus the bov will be alarming everyone

Cheeseburger
04-24-2006, 08:33 AM
yeah dude but an egg is not going to cook faster on a black frying pan vs a stainless steel one right? from my understanding the color black absorbs all the colors in the light spectrum therefore not reflecting any as the color white. white is the absense of color and black is all the colors combined.

edit. my response was meant for your previous post messy...you guys posted as i was typing

and the cooking expert says no, ur not going to cook and egg faster on a black frying pan:)

halxi
04-24-2006, 05:45 PM
if your car is fast, people will talk about it. sooner or later everyone will know, plus the bov will be alarming everyone

but when the car is off or at idle/cruise on the highway, its not as noticable. Thus drawing less attention to your car.

AccordEpicenter
04-24-2006, 06:19 PM

i can vouch for this theory... i have people that are afraid to race me