PDA

View Full Version : Brass valve cover

Whistler225
04-14-2006, 05:43 PM
my valve cover is a brass color. Does anyone know if this is rare or something? I haven't seen any others on here.....you can see it in my garage. Anyone know if it's part of a specific engine type package or something?

Also: does anyone know exactly what type of metal it is, and maybe recommend a polish for it?

speedpenguin
04-14-2006, 05:45 PM
Someone probably just painted it. Post a pic.

Whistler225
04-14-2006, 07:42 PM
here's a pic....it doesn't appear to be painted.
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5092/accord0065ec.th.jpg (http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?image=accord0065ec.jpg)

I know it isn't the best pic, but it appears to be stock.

speedpenguin
04-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Well, I was secretly hoping that you had a JDM B20A and just didn't realize it, but it wasn't all that likely. :lol:
That's weird, I've never seen that before. Who had the car before you?

MessyHonda
04-14-2006, 08:07 PM
it does look orginal but you never know...its missing the air cleaner support that bolts on to it. not the best pic...take some more from diferent angles. i think its too much problems but you can take it out and check the bottom of it

speedpenguin
04-14-2006, 08:08 PM
Maybe someone took the black finish off..?

carotman
04-14-2006, 08:24 PM
The 1986 BS1 engine had this gold valve cover with a screw on emblem.

mkymonkey
04-14-2006, 08:28 PM
yeah someone just took the black finish off. ive seen many of them at the jy's all the time. some still have residue left from the black finish. but yours seems to be polished somewhat

nevermind....i would believe carotman over me!

Whistler225
04-14-2006, 09:52 PM
Carotman:thanks. :-) I was wondering which engine I had....that should clear it up. It does have the screw on emblem on it.

Anything special about the bs1 engine? any specific issues I should know about?

carotman
04-15-2006, 04:47 AM
Same thing as an A20A1. I just uses the Old Honda engine label system.

Whistler225
04-15-2006, 05:29 AM
ah, ok :-)

speedpenguin
04-15-2006, 07:27 AM
That's cool, I want a valve cover like that!

Whistler225
04-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks Speed......I like it too. I'm going to try and shine it up...it does have a few little chips out of the finish here and there, but overall it's in great shape. And like I said....I haven't seen many (if any) other valve covers like it on here, so I guess in that way my 3g is kind of different from most...which is cool in its own way.

I posted this in another thread, but since people are looking at this one, I'll put it out here as well....mods, please feel free to delete the other one if you like (please move any replies to this thread though)

I just painted my front bumper black (with the bumper coating) today, and will be doing the back tomorrow. I'm also planning to paint the sides black from the trim down.

I may be buying a trunk lid from another user on here. It isn't the same color as my car, but I was wondering if anyone knows a decent source for color matched paint. I don't own a compressor, so it will probably end up being a careful (ha ha) can job....are Honda colors even available in the can?

I was thinking about painting the hubcaps black also....they're the factory caps:
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/5301/accord022web2jf.th.jpg (http://img507.imageshack.us/my.php?image=accord022web2jf.jpg)
Has anyone tried this? How did it turn out?

speedpenguin
04-15-2006, 02:28 PM
If you want your wheels to be a different color, just take the wheel covers off. It'll look a lot nicer, I think.

Whistler225
04-15-2006, 02:30 PM
and just leave the black steel wheels? I've seen that on a few other cars on here...to be honest, I didn't much care for the look....that might sound kind of picky, I dunno. It just looks to me like the person lost his hubcaps.
I'll try it and see what I think though.

speedpenguin
04-15-2006, 02:32 PM
It depends on the car. I like them because steelies aren't trying to look like something they're not. Of course, my car is red so they match well.

Whistler225
04-15-2006, 05:23 PM
think they'll look good with two-tone gold on top black on bottom?

I cannot find my car's paint color anywhere...any ideas? it's YR-60M-3...would this be something I could get in the can at the dealership?

Mars
04-17-2006, 11:43 AM
Yeha, my 86 4dr has a goldish cover like that. i like the look of it =), wihs it would fit my 89

ghettogeddy
04-17-2006, 12:03 PM
ya i wouldent paint hub caps tyhey alwas turn out bad but try and find some aftermarket ones that are likr a black crome ive seen them on some cars and they look pritty good

Thanks Speed......I like it too. I'm going to try and shine it up...it does have a few little chips out of the finish here and there, but overall it's in great shape. And like I said....I haven't seen many (if any) other valve covers like it on here, so I guess in that way my 3g is kind of different from most...which is cool in its own way.
I posted this in another thread, but since people are looking at this one, I'll put it out here as well....mods, please feel free to delete the other one if you like (please move any replies to this thread though)
I just painted my front bumper black (with the bumper coating) today, and will be doing the back tomorrow. I'm also planning to paint the sides black from the trim down.
I may be buying a trunk lid from another user on here. It isn't the same color as my car, but I was wondering if anyone knows a decent source for color matched paint. I don't own a compressor, so it will probably end up being a careful (ha ha) can job....are Honda colors even available in the can?
I was thinking about painting the hubcaps black also....they're the factory caps:
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/5301/accord022web2jf.th.jpg (http://img507.imageshack.us/my.php?image=accord022web2jf.jpg)
Has anyone tried this? How did it turn out?

Whistler225
04-17-2006, 01:40 PM
I might do that, although I'm leaning pretty heavily toward a trip to the jy to try and find some Acura alloys for summer tires....and then keep the winter tires I have on the rims that are on it now.

I've changed my mind about the rest of the car....I'm still going to do black from the trim down, but I'm going to do a real paint job on the car in a different color. I was looking at this one site:
http://www.paintforcars.com/

best prices I've seen so far, and they have some interesting colors. I was looking at the Gunmetal Metallic, Copper, or Bronze as possibilities. Any thoughts? I also like the Midnight Blue and Omaha Orange.

forrest89sei
04-17-2006, 10:22 PM
think they'll look good with two-tone gold on top black on bottom?
I cannot find my car's paint color anywhere...any ideas? it's YR-60M-3...would this be something I could get in the can at the dealership?

My 1986 USDM Service Manual says the following:

Paint Color Codes

Hatchback
NH-82 = GREEK WHITE
B-33MZ = SONIC BLUE METALLIC Z
R-48M = REGENCY RED METALLIC
NH-91M = GRAPHITE GRAY METALLIC
NH95M = BLADE SILVER METALLIC
B-35M = MONTREAL BLUE METALLIC
Sedan
NH-95M = BLADE SILVER METALLIC
YR-60M = CHAMPAGNE BEIGE METALLIC
NH-91M = GRAPHITE GRAY METALLIC
R-48M = REGENCY RED METALLIC
YR-59M = MISTY BEIGE METALLIC
B-30M = STRATOS BLUE METALLIC
B-35M = MONTREAL BLUE METALLIC

should be a color that you could get at a body shop or maybe even a honda dealer?

Forrest

carotman
04-17-2006, 10:39 PM
I should paint my car B35M :p

forrest89sei
04-17-2006, 10:47 PM
I should paint my car B35M :p

my friend has a B35M parts car

I think it's a nice color!!

86carbhater
05-14-2006, 07:20 PM
i have the gold valve cover too anyone have any insight on this

MessyHonda
05-14-2006, 08:30 PM
i have the gold valve cover too anyone have any insight on this

my neighbor has one too...its wut they called the engine back in 86...the BS model but they were some left over to the 87 years cars have them...my neighbor has a 88 with one...he told me that the engine has like 98k on it when he got it

sporkHSP
05-17-2006, 07:26 PM
my neighbor has one too...its wut they called the engine back in 86...the BS model but they were some left over to the 87 years cars have them...my neighbor has a 88 with one...he told me that the engine has like 98k on it when he got it
i see those polished covers all the time at the junkyard
...before I could buy wheels, I took my hubcaps off and resprayed my steelies gloss black and cleared them (both paints were high temp wheel coatings bougth at autozone) then I put one the chome center caps from 88-91 civics. pretty cheap, since I only had to buy the paint, and i think it looked pretty nice...gives it kind of a police wheel look
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/434000-434999/434603_88_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/434000-434999/434603_90_full.jpg

speedpenguin
05-18-2006, 04:41 AM
Plastic wheel covers are like those plastic circles you can put over your drums so it looks like you have disc brakes.