PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Fuel filter...

1989accordaz
04-14-2006, 10:04 PM
Ive had my 89 LX for almost 8 years, and i have never changed the secondary filter, only the primary. So I picked one today at the local autoshop. Has anybody noticed an improvement after changing this filter?

A20A1
04-14-2006, 11:01 PM
Honestly I removed it and ran a fuel line in it's place, then changed the primary filter to a FRAM clear filter used for domestic 4 barrel carbs.

Big improvement.

1989accordaz
04-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Well, after running with a new secondary filter I can honestly say that I have seen an improvement, a big improvement. It's now runing smoother, it accelerates better IMO.
With a full tank, it gives me 3325 to 335 miles to the redline. ( I never let it go lower than, the one time I did I ran out of gas )

MessyHonda
04-27-2006, 06:24 PM
well that is a bad thing to do. since all the junk is at the bottom of the tank and when you get low on fuel it starts sucking up dirty fuel and your filters will get cloged up. and yeah i changed the 2 filters at the same time and wow my car accelerated better sometimes it would burn out...but now its back to normal. i like a20a1's idea. did the fram just go into the stock place or did you have to mod it?

Whistler225
04-27-2006, 06:31 PM
Honestly I removed it and ran a fuel line in it's place, then changed the primary filter to a FRAM clear filter used for domestic 4 barrel carbs.

Big improvement.

Hate to sound stupid, but are you talking about the filter back near the fuel tank (the one you removed)? Did you replace the entire line, or replace it with a length of line and two couplings?

A20A1
04-27-2006, 09:31 PM
I ran a fuel line from the metal port on top of the fuel tank to the other metal fuel line port after the secondary filter that runs the length of the car all the way to the firewall. So the hose is about 2-3 feet long.

Whistler225
04-28-2006, 02:59 AM
sweet....I might try that myself. I bought the filter but haven't put it in yet, but if you can just take it out of the circuit altogether, that would make life a bit easier. I put a new primary in too, but I bought the regular direct replacement (ie, the metal one). I didn't even think to try one of the clear ones. I've been using them on my old truck so I can tell when they need to be replaced....dunno why I didn't put one on the Honda. Oh well, it's only a couple of bucks. I think I'll go to the APS after work today and pick up the stuff.....