PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Help

Mars
04-15-2006, 10:24 AM
Alright, so ill start out admitting my mistake...
Its been raining balls down here in texas (past couple weeks) and ive gotten some mud and such on my engine...
So i do what i usually did with my carb 4door, took it to the car wash and sprayed it off (low pressure spottless rinse)

Now my batt light wont go off.
Im assuming my alternator is screwed, although im sure it gets water in it while driving, so i dont know why a car wash would hurt it.
As a last ditch effort ive been hunting down all the fuses i can relating to the alt. I got the 10 amp fuse in my under hood box (#8), and the fusable link. In my manual it says theres a 55 amp fuse somwhere on the wiring diagram between thr alt. and the battery, anyone know where this is? i cant find it for the life of me. Also, my huge 30 amp fuse (big box type) dosnt look blown, but tis a but thinner than the others, it didnt look ralted to the alternator, but could it be hindering charging is it were bad? I remember once blowing one of those on the 4 door when i got wet, and it doing wierd things to the car before i changed it.

Thanks in advance guys, i just dont want to have to go through the ordeal of taking the stupid alternator out T_T

smufguy
04-15-2006, 12:16 PM
Check the output voltage on the alternator. An alternator could die for various reason. some weird like, paint overspray. After my car got painted, there was paint haze vapors depossited in my engine bay, three days later my alternator dies on me. So yeah, check the voltage and go from there.