PDA

View Full Version : clutch and flywheel options

SQ is the SQUAD
04-16-2006, 03:53 PM
i will be converting over to 5 spd this week and want to know what are my options for high performance clutches. any1 have any experiences with any. i think i seen both act and clutchmaster clutches, any1 know of any other companies that make them. what about lightweight flywheels. i know there was a group buy on them a while back for some modded one. and manufacturers?

AccordEpicenter
04-16-2006, 05:28 PM
Clutchnet>* www.clutchnet.com Cheaper tougher and higher quality than either of those companies. They will custom manufacture your clutch. Ive been rocking a double diaphram 6 puck sprung clutch and the thing holds anything you can throw at it, ive had it for nearly 2 years now. They can also get you a lightweight flywheel too. Lets put it this way, my friend whos running a built turbo LS-Vtec just put in the clutchnet and loves it, and hes going for 500whp or bust. Besides, act clutches are notorious for the springs falling out and wont hold over 260lb ft for an accord anyway.

SQ is the SQUAD
04-16-2006, 06:13 PM
so i take it thats a sprung clutch

bobafett
04-16-2006, 07:59 PM
im using a spec stage 3 clutch with their matching pressure plate and a phrenology flywheel.

have only driven 50 miles on it, but the clutch is very easy to drive, it has REALLY nice grip, but its smooth enough that you can feather it to take off slowly during stop and go driving (though not quite as easily as stock) and pedal pressure isnt much worse at all. i think its about like they say, 30% more pedal pressure. oh and this supposedly holds 260 ft lbs. a clutchnet would be cheaper and probably just as good, i have head NOTHING BUT GOOD THINGS EVER about clutchnet. and thats where i am going to look next.

but if you DO want to check out the spec clutch:
www.horsepowerfreaks.com has them
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/price/Honda/Accord/SPEC/Clutches-Flywheels/Clutch_Kits/part/Import_Stage_3

AccordEpicenter
04-16-2006, 08:50 PM
i smoked a spec stage 5 but i dont think its even close to the one as chris has. If you get a double diaphram clutchnet (dont have to, you have your choice of a number of pressure plates) i must warn you the pedal is very heavy but i have not ever broken a clutch cable, even though i reccomend you carry a spare. If you get into some serious boost i think you guys are gonna start eating 260lb-ft rated clutches like sean had trouble with for quite a while.

accord upset
05-16-2006, 04:21 PM
okie another question my engines gonna be down this winter for rebuild :chainsaw: hehehe,,, im thinkin of goin back witha lude tranny due to the lower gearing. am i gonna need new axles,, if so thats out,i just replaced mine. anyway i see 2 sku numbers for lightend flywheels for our cars on clutchnet
SKU: 4942FG23
and
SKU: 4941FG
which one do i need for my carbed a20a1 with the stock tranny ,, would i need a diff clutch setup if i go with the lude tranny? (like clutch disc, flywheel, pressure plate,, ect.)

bobafett
05-23-2006, 02:29 PM
MOVED out of FI and into PERFORMANCE
:)

Strugglebucket
05-23-2006, 08:44 PM
okie another question my engines gonna be down this winter for rebuild :chainsaw: hehehe,,, im thinkin of goin back witha lude tranny due to the lower gearing. am i gonna need new axles,, if so thats out,i just replaced mine. anyway i see 2 sku numbers for lightend flywheels for our cars on clutchnet
SKU: 4942FG23
and
SKU: 4941FG
which one do i need for my carbed a20a1 with the stock tranny ,, would i need a diff clutch setup if i go with the lude tranny? (like clutch disc, flywheel, pressure plate,, ect.)
no, you don't need different axles for the prelude si transmission.

rjudgey
05-24-2006, 01:06 AM
Yep i'm using Accord Flywheel with Teg gearbox on my 2G carbed Lude so should be 95% okay to fit. Also if you do use the Lude tranny get the main diff bearings changed for uprated ones as they are poo they tend to fall apart if you like goind fast a lot!! Mine did turned the tranny oil into liquid metal nice effect not too good for the rest of gearbox though!!

rjudgey
05-24-2006, 01:11 AM
Oh Also i've got two Clutchnet clutches and disks as well as Flywheel for a D16 and they are all top notch stuff adn the guy's there are really nice a helpfull been plugging them for best part of two years and glad everyone is using their stuff cause like like the rest of you got fed up of being ripped off by other manufacturers like Clutchnet, centre Force, and ACT with their ripp off pricing for stuff thats no better that cheap OEM equipment rebadged, in fact a couple of patent clutches actually lasted better than any Aftermarket that was nearly 4 times as expensive!!!! The AP pressure plates are just awesome the only one's i've seen made better and last longer are from Clutchnet and as far as i can tell the clutchnet ones are in house design where as ACT, CentreForce, Clutch masters they all use cheap Patent OEM plates and then just use their own disks which are rubbish as well anyway compared to a Clutchnet one, never seen anyone else use proper pocketed springs in the centre hubs before unless it's AP or similar from proper race clutches that cost $1000's!! So yeah Clutchnet is the way to go and we all love em!!

AccordEpicenter
05-24-2006, 07:48 PM
as far as i know clutchnet manufactures pretty much all their shit in house when you order. If i ever wear out my clutch im gonna order the exact same clutchnet clutch again, its been flawless since day 1.

Strugglebucket
05-24-2006, 09:06 PM
hmmmm. you know anybody who's tried their kevlar discs?

rjudgey
05-25-2006, 12:31 AM
i've got a kevlar soild hub but not had time to put it in yet waiting for gearbox to be fixed. But to be honest only going with the solid hub as the sprung hub organic i had didn't fit as it caught on the inside of the flywheel, so thats the only gripe you'll have to have the flywheel machined to fit the spring hubs or use a solid disk (the spring hubs are that beefy!! take up a lot of room)
Or just have their matching flywheel then no issues then!! Just beware make sure your gearbox is tip top and has new diff bearings as now that the clutch can take the punishment the box won't!!