PDA

View Full Version : Wierd Engine Problem

allan88accord
04-16-2006, 10:58 PM
Alright, I Have an 88 Accord Carb engine with an Automatic. I was told by a mechanic/towtruck driver that it was a Blown head gasket. So I pulled it apart. But here are the Symptoms, It heated up because it had an oil leak. I fxed the oil leak but I was too late. I started it after I fixe the leak and it shot a huge cloud of steam out and was revving at 4k RPM. Now heres the wierd part. There was NO breaks in the head gasket. The head "Might" be warped I cant tell because I dont have the tools to do so. Also ive heard Cracked head and Cracked block, There was no coolant left in the car it all went out the exhaust fast. there was no visable white chunks in the oil to make me think water in the oil, and no coolant left to check for oil in the water. I am stumped, everyone I have talked to is Stumped.

Let me know if anyone has ran into this problem before.
Thanks,
Allan

A20A1
04-17-2006, 10:18 AM
Did you mess with the carburetor at all? there is a coolant line that runs thru the base of the carburetor... loops down through the EFE (brown) plate under the carb and thru a small hole in the intake manifold. If either of the two layers of gaskets between the manifold and carb are leaking then coolant can get into the cylinders.

Other then that If the coolant is going straight to the exhaust it could be a crack in the head or block and not on either deck surface... or you have a warpped head, or gasket issue.