PDA

View Full Version : Horrible gas mileage

86-accord-lxi
04-17-2006, 04:45 PM
:wtf: The transmission shifts too late. And the pgm-fi light comes on after reaching operating temperature. The ecu's giving a code 12.
I have cleaned the egr valve, But it still does it. I went 90 miles on a full tank of gas and now It's only got half a tamk left ?:wtf:

Blkblurr
04-17-2006, 06:22 PM
Could be a vacuum leak in the egr valve. Cleaning it is good but may not be the problem. The egr valve may not be operating properly. There is an egr valve controller in our cars that controls the opening and closing of the egr valve. it uses vacuum to move a diaphram that opens and closes the egr valve.

Whistler225
04-17-2006, 06:56 PM
as far as the shifting is concerned, mine did that too, and it was this cable that goes to the transmission that syncs the tranny with your throttle. I dunno if the FI cars have this cable or not, but might be worth checking. The cable is located under the battery tray, on the front side of the transmission. If there is play in the cable, remove the battery tray, loosen the bottom nut, then gently lift the retaining nut out of it's housing, and then you can remove the cable (there is a ball on the end of it that you can move through a slot and it comes out....just be careful because you can screw up the part in tha transmission that this cable controls if you yank on it). Adjust the retaining nut (the one that sits in the little bracket) until when you put the cable back in there is no play. Then retighten the bottom nut so the cable won't pop back out.

I had to use PB buster on my adjusting nut....it wouldn't move when I first took the cable out.

86-accord-lxi
04-25-2006, 07:24 PM
Well, I messed with the T.V cable and the transmission shifts a little better.
There is still a slip between 1st and 2nd upshifts. last week I filled up with gas, I have gone 213 miles and The guage says I only have 1/4 tank left .
:wtf: I didn't pay attention how many gallons It was last time I filled up,
But I am suspicious of the sending unit. There is just no way my mileage could be this bad. The car has had major tune-up, rebuilt head, new water pump, timing belt, etc... Set timing with timing gun. The only problem that I know of is the code 12 egr crap. Would the egr make my mileage suffer this bad ? If I end up keeping this car, Definetley doing a 5 speed swap. This is the second auto I have had problems with . The first was the original one that came with the car.