PDA

View Full Version : Audio Showoffs

iceman inc.
04-18-2006, 01:20 AM
Among the numerous brands of stereo systems i am determined to find the best one...or the one the most suitable for me..so far ROCKFORD has taken my decision by storm..with their killer p3 and punch speakers

Vanilla Sky
04-18-2006, 11:38 AM
what's your price range, and what are you wanting to do with your soundsystem? are you looking for pure loudness, or do you want something that sounds good?

and i wouldn't go so far as to call rockford fosgate "killer."

Mike's89AccordLX
04-18-2006, 11:43 AM
Rockford's a ok if you can't afford to spend a lot.

I personally like Boston speakers and subs.

Vanilla Sky
04-18-2006, 11:46 AM
if you can't afford to spend a lot, rockford still isn't the best. you can get much much much better stuff for the same price.

Sabz5150
04-18-2006, 12:42 PM
Rockford and Alpine == Nike. Fair quality, but you wind up paying for the name.

Clarion, JL, MB, Nakamichi... those are names worth paying for.

Gemini2003
04-18-2006, 01:44 PM
I have never been disappointed with Alpine I've been buying it since I started my stereo... They arn't the loudest but that have the best sound quality in my opinion... (which is based only on my personal experience)

Vanilla Sky
04-18-2006, 01:46 PM
alpine is overpriced for what you're buying.

dayton audio, elemental designs, resonant engineering, adire... those are much much much better values.

Mettle_86LXi
04-18-2006, 02:09 PM
I used to be fond of Rockford Fosgate subwoofers, but my oh my have they changed their style! The old style black cone with the RF on the center cap, now that's style. But this whole plastic cone? I saw one at best buy, and the sucker had a crack in it. Yes, this may have been a fluke, and probably was, but that turned me off right away. The RF amplifiers on the other hand, true rms rating instead of giving you the peak, I enjoy companies that do not attmept to decieve. I still give Rockford Fosgate my vote for amplifiers, but I'm stickin' with the old style subs, or moving on. My pair of pennies.

My number 2 choice would be Kicker. Used to have 2 Kicker Comps, and I might as well have given them away I sold them for so cheap. :-(

Hash_man_Se_i
04-18-2006, 07:31 PM
IMO... best brands out there... amps = audison ... speakers and subs = Focal ... Nakamichi makes some amazing souding decks but I have been doubtfull of their quality lately.

Eclipse also makes excellent decks, they sound wicked.

I think Alpine is just a name now... they used to make some kick ass products, but in the past couple years, with switching the location of their manufacturing, they seem to have gone downhill big time.

Vanilla Sky
04-18-2006, 07:39 PM
focal is really good stuff. still overpriced, though. vifa mid drivers and tweeters are great, and when you're looking at raw drivers, they're much much much much much cheaper.

MessyHonda
04-19-2006, 03:19 PM
yeah i heard that JL audio is a good speaker... my friend has 2 10 inch JL W0 in his truck and they sound good and it only has like a 380 watt amp to them...i would go with high end stuff. i would get a 12 inch W6v2 cuz i dont have all the room in my trunk to put 2 big subs i just want one good one

iceman inc.
04-20-2006, 01:22 PM
the main reasons i wanted fosgate was bc the p3 blew the crap out a alpine...i mainly am looking for something with good sound...but i would also like competion sound too..

LiTtLe xOx BitT
04-20-2006, 01:53 PM
I have a pair of 12" boston acoustic rally series subs with a 1000 watt amp and they work great. They are in a kicker box with tweeters and i have pioneer components.

Vanilla Sky
04-20-2006, 08:35 PM
the main reasons i wanted fosgate was bc the p3 blew the crap out a alpine...i mainly am looking for something with good sound...but i would also like competion sound too..

yes, and i've heard sub systems using 6.5 inch drivers that sounded better and extended lower than a system using a 12 in driver, but wasn't nearly as loud.

and when i think "competition sound" i think "sounds like it came out of my ass after taco bell night."

Sabz5150
04-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Yeah, most competition systems are about making lots of noise and moving lots of air. Your typical bass-off. The cars that look like something out of Looney Tunes as the trunk, door panels and roof flex in and out. And that's great if you are looking to compete in the IASCA events.

But when you want a system for good listening, that much bass gets in the way of the actual music. More power doesn't mean better quality. WHY do you need eleventy billion watts pushing speakers the size of satellite dishes in your trunk for day-to-day listening? I push less than 400 watts across six channels and people tell me it sounds incredible.

Subs are there to add to the music, not drown it out.

Just my twopence. I come from the SQ side of the fence which explains the hair of bias I have :)

Hash_man_Se_i
04-20-2006, 09:16 PM
I very much agree with sabz on that one, except for the power aspect, I think to have an excellent sounding sq system you still need ample power. But ya, I think insane amounts of bass are retarded, and a total waste of time and money in cars where you want to listen to music, and not just one note/.

Once I get my system in my car, I will have 400watts running to just my front channels.
However... I now have an amp which was filled with water the other night... and she was taken away... now I'm sad. :(

Vanilla Sky
04-20-2006, 09:50 PM
they key here isn't raw power, it's headroom, which is what both of you are hinting at.

personally, i find that most audio systems, including stock ones, sound tons better with a real amp. this is largely in part to the amp headroom. with your hu's amp, you'll get 22watts RMS at best, and that's riding right at the point of pretty serious distortion. install a weak amp and you'll get a little headroom to play around with.

generally, unless you have some serious speakers in the front, 400 watts is a lot, assuming we're talking RMS here. if we're talking the speakers that i think you're looking at (focals, right?), then 400 watts is about right if you want ample headroom and serious SQL going.

Sabz5150
04-20-2006, 10:23 PM
I very much agree with sabz on that one, except for the power aspect, I think to have an excellent sounding sq system you still need ample power. But ya, I think insane amounts of bass are retarded, and a total waste of time and money in cars where you want to listen to music, and not just one note/.
Once I get my system in my car, I will have 400watts running to just my front channels.
However... I now have an amp which was filled with water the other night... and she was taken away... now I'm sad. :(

The key word is 'ample'. Yes, not having enough power is just as bad as having too much power. The problem is most people are of the mindset that you can never have too much power. They stuff these foot-and-a-half long amps pushing some 2000 watts in their trunk wired to a set of 15's that can barely handle that much power and think they're king of the mountain because they can wake me up at 4am driving past my apartment.

That's not audio, that's annoying.

I hear way too many systems that sound like factory mids ready to give up the ghost in the front and skeletons fighting on a tin roof in the back. Makes no sense! Not only are they wasting money on a half-assed system that sounds like crap, they're putting a HUGE strain on the car's electrical system. Of course what do they do? They mask that problem with huge capacitors. Pouring more money down the drain, masking problems that will only get bigger over time because they think that "the honeys dig my fly ride".

Alright, I will end my rant there. :rocket:

halxi
04-21-2006, 03:41 PM
cant go wrong with some Diamond mids/subs and a kenwood deck

86lxinva
04-21-2006, 05:40 PM
i got everything pioneer and it sounds good amp,deck,mids,highs everything

Ludi Mali
04-24-2006, 06:59 PM
kenwood excelon(regular kenwood isn't that great) are awsome sounding mids. I have 1 set of component 6.5s 2 sets of coax 6.5s and 1 set of 6x9s in my lxi. Sounds really really good from low to high levels. Diamond makes killer subs and eclipse is all I buy for decks now.

iceman inc.
04-24-2006, 07:46 PM
well no doubt im getting a kenwood excelon head deck..and from what im hearing diamond is a good sub so ill def check them out..

iceman inc.
04-24-2006, 07:48 PM
i agree with yall out the whole TOO MUCH BASS now...bc i mean why the hell get a good system when you cant hear the whole thing working together..but thanx for the help..

ivanfbi
04-24-2006, 08:22 PM
head units - alpine, jvc, kenwood, clarion and pioneer are good brands to get, usually quality stuff, i would rely on.
speakers/components - DLS, AVI, PG Elite are good expensive ones, JL, PG(xenon), Alpine, are good affordable ones, Boston and MB QUart are quality, but harsh for me.
subwoofers - Image Dynamics, JL, Alpine, Infinity Perfect are good SQ and SQL ones, XXX, Treo, Kicker, RF are mostly SPL pointed
amps - DLS, Audison, Tru Tech, Zapco, Memphis, ARC Audio are the ones to get, but usually expensive as hell, PG, Xtant, Pioneer, Kicker, RF, JL(yes, JL is not on my top 10 list) are OK
processors - Kenwood, PG...the big names
wires - as long as they are good ones, i don't really care, I just buy them from ebay, so far so good...
the main thing is always installation. I know some people who can make $4000 sound system sound like shit.

Vanilla Sky
04-24-2006, 10:18 PM
the main thing is always installation. I know some people who can make $4000 sound system sound like shit.

exactly, and none of us can emphasize this enough. you can have $100 or $5,000 invested in your soundsystem, and end up soundnig about the same. look at sabz's install. i think he's still around $1000, plus he has a sound processor and a DVD deck. it's all in the install in his case, so why not spend the money on the install or learn how to do it yourself and build a killer system on the cheap?

iceman inc.
04-25-2006, 12:44 AM
thats messed up..spending more on install and wiring than on the main componets themselves...i got to figure out how to wire some monitors into my car ...anoyne got some specs on a couple of monitors????? good quality not the cheap crap

Hash_man_Se_i
04-25-2006, 03:14 PM
^^ Now that you mention that, wiring is a huuuge thing too.

Especially RCA's... I have heard a huuuge difference between cheap shitty RCA's and good ones. I'm not saying you have to spend a fortune at all, I mean don't go out and buy $150 RCA's for your $150 amp, cuz you probably wont notice the difference, but good quality RCA's, and good speaker wire, make a big difference.,

l3aLLa
04-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Well, alot of people talk about how pushin too much will shit out your alternator, but I have a memphis 1100 watt and a 4 channel memphis pushin my mids and highs. Even with it cranked, my lights dont even dim. As for speaker setup, I have memphis all the way around, and (2) mojo 15's. Got most of this from cousin for a grand. As for head unit I am stuck with a 150 dollar pioneer, 50Wx4 with 22W RMS

MessyHonda
04-25-2006, 04:44 PM
Well, alot of people talk about how pushin too much will shit out your alternator, but I have a memphis 1100 watt and a 4 channel memphis pushin my mids and highs. Even with it cranked, my lights dont even dim. As for speaker setup, I have memphis all the way around, and (2) mojo 15's. Got most of this from cousin for a grand. As for head unit I am stuck with a 150 dollar pioneer, 50Wx4 with 22W RMS

is that peak watts? my amp needs a 14.5v to push 900 RMS watts and it dimed my light like hell. and it was only half way up. oh yeah i dont have a cap so i was running 12.5v and my amp can only produce 720 RMS at that range.

FyreDaug
04-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Get some entry level MB Quart components and get a decent amp to power them. As for subs I like alpine and memphis, powered by an older rockford amp... you know, when rockford was still good.

Ludi Mali
04-25-2006, 07:01 PM
is that peak watts? my amp needs a 14.5v to push 900 RMS watts and it dimed my light like hell. and it was only half way up. oh yeah i dont have a cap so i was running 12.5v and my amp can only produce 720 RMS at that range.

don't all cars run at 14.X volts when the car is on? I thought thats what the alt puts out.

and as for wiring. I really like the kicker sets. Their 10g power wires have as much wire in them as other peoples 8g's. Plus they have lots more individual strands it seems.

Hash_man_Se_i
04-25-2006, 07:05 PM
don't all cars run at 14.X volts when the car is on? I thought thats what the alt puts out.

This is true,

gfrg88
04-25-2006, 07:16 PM
what do you guys think of Power Akoustics???

Vanilla Sky
04-25-2006, 10:29 PM
for subs, no, not something i'd go for. their amps can be pretty good on a budget if you don't expect rated power out of them.

ivanfbi
04-26-2006, 12:40 AM
Well, I never said to spend more money than on main stuff, but yeah, I have seen 4 gauge wires that were actually 8 gauge wrapped in thick isoation, so they look like 4, and RCAs make big difference, as someone mentioned. Wires should look organized, so if you just throw wires together, it will have much more chance to mess up, zip ties age good. a sub in 1/2" MDF made sealed box will sound better than the same sub in 1/4" sheetrock made one. But mainly i meant adjusting settings for the best sound, adjusting gains right...that doesn't cost anything, but can make huge difference, and become more reliable. I would never let best buy or cartoys install my shit, cuz they do horrible job, they do everything the fastest way, and don't care about quality of their install.

FyreDaug
04-26-2006, 07:37 AM
Atleast get a good amp with some decent speakers, with a good amp you can make almost any speaker sound good.

FyreDaug
04-26-2006, 07:38 AM
Which I mean, dont run speakers off the deck if you want good sound.

Sabz5150
04-26-2006, 09:25 AM
Which I mean, dont run speakers off the deck if you want good sound.

Agreed. A headunit's internal amplifier is okay for the average person who simply wants their music with a fancier look. Running external amps for everything is always the way to go for SQ.

Gemini2003
04-26-2006, 11:21 AM
Here will be my setup. All the following equipment has allready been purchased:

JVC KD-ADV6160 DVD player.

http://www.gemini-online.net/web/images/jvc1.JPG

This player has 5v Pre-outs And now I have 5.1 Surrond sound!!

Here is my Brand new deck for the main head unit: Alpine CDA 9853
http://www.onlinestore.it/images/alpine%20cda%209853.jpg

This is what I have for subs: Alpine SWR1521

Times two :-)

http://www.cbrstereo.com/ProductImages/SWR1521.jpg

Here is my 1000 watt RMS amp: Alpine MRD M1000

http://www.analogstereo.com/images/deck/mrdm1000_main.jpg
2000 Watts peak 1000 watts RMS @ 2 OHM ...

Here is My powercap: Monster 1 Farad
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000067AVT.01-A385A0XNQBW8HY._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

For my Mids I'll be running this amp: MRV F540

http://www.cbrstereo.com/ProductImages/MRVF540.jpg
100 watt RMS x 4 @ 2 ohm

And here are my mids:
Alpine Type-S 6-1/2" 2-Way Car Speakers

Times SIX.

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/7652/7652658_sa.jpg

None of this equipment is installed. However it will be once my project is finished.

ivanfbi
04-26-2006, 07:09 PM
I know you will disagree with me, but thats the whole point, everyone does what ever they want

that JVC plays cd/cd-r/cd-rw/dvd/dvd-r/dvd-rw/mp3 so i really don't see any point to get alpine deck, if you want DVD's, if you don't need dvd, i would get the alpine, cuz it plays mp3's better, JVC takes too much time to read mp3 discs.

the speakers you have, waste of money, you really don't need six of them. I would get only 2, maybe 4, if you really really really need rear stage, I never miss my rear speakers. I would return the type S and get a pair of type R and a pair of type S for rears(if you need them)

caps are different story, for that wattage, alternator is too silly, so the cap will make it look like it helps, but in the end, it will shorten the life of alt. in multiple times.

amp choice is good, i dealed with those Alpines, never had problems, don't have them now though. JVC deck is good, i have one right now in my car, Alpine decks are known to be one of the best. Can't comment on type S subs, but i heard type R's, sounded decent.

ghettogeddy
04-26-2006, 07:18 PM
now i know his 1 fared cap will not be enough i belive its 1 fared for every 1000watts or so what do u suggest insted of a cap larg alt, secound battery, batcap, of just a bigger cap

Sabz5150
04-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Here will be my setup. All the following equipment has allready been purchased:
JVC KD-ADV6160 DVD player.
http://www.gemini-online.net/web/images/jvc1.JPG
This player has 5v Pre-outs And now I have 5.1 Surrond sound!!

Welcome to the club. You're definitely going to enjoy it :)

Ludi Mali
04-27-2006, 09:28 AM
power caps are a waste of money, just get a yellow top optima. i'm running 1100wrms and i get no dimming

ghettogeddy
04-27-2006, 09:44 AM
well i have a 2.5 fared and the largest battery sold at walmart non deep cycle and 1800 rms and i dont dim and i only oaid 50 for my battery and like 75 for my cap compared to the almost 200 that a yellow top cost dont get me wrong yellow tops are the way to go but it still wont help your alt

MessyHonda
04-27-2006, 01:35 PM
well i have a 2.5 fared and the largest battery sold at walmart non deep cycle and 1800 rms and i dont dim and i only oaid 50 for my battery and like 75 for my cap compared to the almost 200 that a yellow top cost dont get me wrong yellow tops are the way to go but it still wont help your alt

so i should get a cap? im thinking about just keeping my amp but im not sure. it can handle up to 900 RMS watts@4 ohm...first i need to upgrade my wire since its only 8 guage and only has a 60 amp fuse...i might upgrade to a 5guage with a 100 amp fuse

ghettogeddy
04-27-2006, 03:08 PM
ya go to walmart and and get the largest ampo kit they have its only like 24 bucks and its 5 gauge 2 sets of rca's fuse holder and all and yes a cap will help u out a bit u might wanna try fry's they have some 1.5's for 49 out here in concord

Hash_man_Se_i
04-27-2006, 04:49 PM
Most caps are useless... Very few brands of caps actually do anything.

ivanfbi
04-28-2006, 12:40 AM
i never use caps

proper way is to do big 3, green mean alternator, optima red/yellow, and you are golden, but that is pricey, best is optima and big 3. believe me, it helps. if it has problems then upgrade alt. with cap, alternator will die sooner. Also, on my car, my headlights never dim, my dash lights do(when i turn it all the way up, making me deaf for couple of days) but not headlights!!! thats the power of HID, suckas!!!

FyreDaug
04-28-2006, 09:37 PM
Ok this is my take on capaciters, everyone and their dog will tell you they are useless, but they will also provide a "cleaner" power to the amp, and depending on how good the cap is, it could also reduce your dimming. The voltage to the amp will be MUCH more consistant with a capaciter in it. Ive got a 2.4 farad I havent installed yet, but im looking forward to it once I get the car back. Each time the bass hits youll drop like 3 volts, atleast with a cap itll be a little less. Plus Ive got a high cca red top and 4awg all around. And it takes a HUGE load off of your alternator at low rpms, trust me. Alternator will thank you.

And btw, thats some decent equipment you are going to hook up. Id suggest 12's not 15's.... personal opinion, 12's sound the best.

Gemini2003
04-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Hello all :-P

Ok so here's what's up. I'm building this car right? It's a huge project with custom interior out the ass. My ultimate goal is that it will be good enough to be in a magazine.

To do this I believe I NEED something to stand out more then another guy. I agree that 12's sound better then 15's However now I want more SPL. Alpine has a vary good sound quality and I'm very loyal to them.

The Jvc was in a deal I got from my friend and trust me the two decks on top of each other looks damn sexy.

As for my 6 Type S mids? I'm going to have a fiberglass back dash... My idea is have two 6.5's in each corner and have them raised a few inches and angled toward the front. I'd also have two in the front doors. I'm still thinking about the Alpine MRV F540 being fiberglassed in to the back dash. I still have to find a back seat solution.

http://www.gemini-online.net/web/images/backdeck.bmp

Oh one last thing. I'm going to find some way to upgrade the alternator in my car. Eithor I use the legend alt or explore other solutions...

I use Powercaps from expierence Running almost 1000 watts in my last setup without and then with the powercap made an incredible diffrence. No more immediate drian from my alt sucking power from my critical engine components. Additionally any farad powercap near the amp reduces the amount of time it takes for that power to reach you amp when it needs to crank out it's peak wattage.

Ludi Mali
04-29-2006, 03:10 PM
if you don't mind shipping your alt, these guys do a killer job on rebuilds, http://www.ohiogen.com/

Gemini2003
04-29-2006, 05:40 PM
Thank you. I've sent them an email to see what they have to offer :-)

sinisterfuzzy
04-29-2006, 06:44 PM
Among the numerous brands of stereo systems i am determined to find the best one...or the one the most suitable for me..so far ROCKFORD has taken my decision by storm..with their killer p3 and punch speakers

get their power speakers i have 5.25" power speakers in my car right now, i bought them open box their very nice.