PDA

View Full Version : Remote wire problems....

Mike's89AccordLX
04-18-2006, 08:38 AM
Well I have everything hooked up correctly and I have had the amp tested by a stereo shop. The amp is good. The remote wire isn't sending a 12 volt signal to the amp to turn it on.

I'm getting battery voltage at the main + & - connectors on the amp. All four of the 40 amp fuses are good in the amp.

I programed the cd player to have the bass extension turn ON so that's good.

The only thing that I can think of is this....

I used to have a system in there and then I sold it. I just cut the remote wire so I do it quick. Is it possible that I ruined the remote capabilities from the cd player? Since the wire was just cut and hanging there could it have shorted something out?

I wasn't thinking when I did it and now I would know not to do that, but that was before I went to school for auto mechanics.

My new system if I can get it working consists of this; Memphis PRD 1000 amp, 2 12" Kenwood Excellon Subs 1200watt max 350watt RMS.

I also took some time this holiday weekend to install some carpet in my trunk and also to do some modifying in the trunk to fit a full 17" rim spare. Since I have 3 full sized rims I might as well be safe and not stranded.

Any help is apprieciated. My brother told me I should try and get a new wiring harness for the cd player and try that instead of condeming the cd player.

I just don't think there's anything in the harness to stop a power surge.

My cd player other than that works great that's what I don't understand. If it had a power surge it should have fried my deck right?

Thanks for the input.

-Mike

Mike's89AccordLX
04-18-2006, 09:45 AM
I talked to some friends and they are just as dumbstruck as I am. I really don't want to take it to a shop and pay them $50 to tell me I need a new cd player if that's the actual problem. But I don't know that for sure.

BDaccordguy
04-18-2006, 10:32 AM
ok.. ive got a solution..

From what I understand, your remote wire coming out of the back of the stereo is not sending the signal to turn the amp on right?

I had a similar problem with my HU in the Accord. What I did was find a 12v source that turned on when the car turned on. In my case, I used the Power Antenna switch as a power source (since mine didnt work, and it was easy to find the power wire) and ran the wire under the carpet to the side of the car where my other power wires and cables were. I ran an inline switch (mounted it to the center console) so I could turn the amp off whenever I wanted and ran the rest of the wire to the remote connection on the amp. This worked out wonderfully and I never had a problem. The amp always came on when the car was on, and the ability to turn it off at my will was awesome too. Hope that helps..

Mike's89AccordLX
04-18-2006, 11:30 AM
Oh thanks a lot.

So all you did was connect the remote wire to the pwr ant. wire on the wiring harness?

That sounds easy enough. Let me know if that's what you meant. Man I guess I was over thinking this one too much.

-Mike

BDaccordguy
04-18-2006, 02:37 PM
Yes, basically. I connected the wire I ran from the power wire on the pwr. antenna harness to the remote connection on the amp.