PDA

View Full Version : High-Speed Performance Review

2ndGenGuy
04-19-2006, 11:38 PM
So, I'm on vacation in Phoenix, AZ right now. I decided to see how my car would do at high speed for a really long time. After I got out of Los Angeles on Interstate 10, I got really bored and decided to make up some time. I put the pedal to the floor, and cruised at about 100mph all the way to Phoenix.

Car seems to top out at about 105mph on flat straight roads. If you get a good tailwind, you can do about 110. I also found that after about 240-250 miles, the gas gets really low. The car gets about 22-25mpg wide open. The hot heat also didn't seem to affect the engine temperature. Even turning on the A/C didn't cause the temp to go much over half way up the gauge.

It also feels surprisingly stable. The front end starts to feel a tad light at 105, but at 90-100 it doesn't feel any different than if you're doing 70. I suppose this could be partially due to the 15 inch rims, and the 55 series tires. It may be worse with the stock 13s due to all the extra sidewall flex.

This car continues to amaze me. Even with 265,000 miles in the heat, with the A/C going, pushing the poor little engine to the max, it just keeps running like nothing ever happened.

ZackieDarko
04-20-2006, 12:03 AM
I lived in Phoenix for some time and I had my 86 LX-i hatch up to 120mph several times. It is bone stock and had the 13" steelies on it.

You are right about it being stable at those speeds I was surprised my self. I sure as hell didn't get 22-25mpg tho :-p then again my injectors are kinda being weird so that could be it too.

MessyHonda
04-21-2006, 07:36 PM
your car looks nice. is it carb? cuz my friend is selling his 85? SE-I when i saw the car i almost fliped...his car is Fuel injected. its fast i got to drive it and it does burn out at stop signs. the bad thing is that he has 2 12 inch subs in the back making it weigh more. and its auto. you should check it out tho. he said he has had his up to 110 he also has some aftermarket wheels some 14s i think.

i want to get some 195/60/15 since my car is stiff due that i put some new sturts in

2ndGenGuy
04-21-2006, 11:27 PM
I would love to check it out... Got a link or pics?

MessyHonda
04-21-2006, 11:39 PM
I would love to check it out... Got a link or pics?

il tell him to take some

denhonda
04-24-2006, 01:39 PM
Wouldn't drive at those speeds nowadays in an old car but I had my '85 1.8 Accord auto at 110mph some years ago and I was astonished at its stability. Didn't take long to get up to speed either...

150k miles on it and still ran like a sewing machine until body corrosion got the better of it.

Got 100mph out of the 1.6 auto before but don't even take it over 60-70 mph now! How correct the speedos are I'm not too sure, but being Hondas there probably pretty accurate.