PDA

View Full Version : Turboaccord lost power, Compression Test results inside

AccordEpicenter
04-21-2006, 04:24 PM
We were playing with the car having fun and stuff, BIG BURNOUTS (second gear, 2 stripes 125ft long, no one legged burnouts) but the car just wasnt pulling as hard as she normally does... pulls very hard but it usually rips the tires loose like a bastard especially going into 2nd but it just wasnt feeling quite right... This is after we overboosted to 16psi due to the wastegate line got chewed up by a belt... So needless to say we were concerned that we had finally blown the headgasket or melted a piston running 13psi for 2-3 seasons and then overboosting... So immediatley we brought the car back and were like WTF? So we stopped and let it cool down for 45 min, pulled the plugs and checked them, they looked ok, so we got out the compression tester and started checking... Honestly i expected there to be low compression problem or somthing to be very wrong... but the results were 175psi on 1,2,4 and 174 psi on 3. Thats excellent for a 135k mile stock short block thats been boosted for the past 2.5 years or so, and that we were testing the compression through the charge piping, intercooler and turbo with the throttle at WOT. We were like mmmkay wtf is going on with the car? So i immediatley suspected somthing was amiss with the turbo, as Jake noticed that my boost in 3rd gear would go from 13 down to 9-10 psi (WTF?) so i started to look it over and noticed that compressor wheel was badly smashed, probably from sucking up a rock? Its got a big dent in the compressor wheel and is going to definintly have to be rebuilt/upgraded, i think the damage extends to the compressor housing and it has some slight in-out shaft play so i believe it affected the balance also. Now its time to upgrade to T4 compressor side. The Turboaccord LIVES

MessyHonda
04-21-2006, 04:29 PM
that sucks...how can you suck in a rock? dont you have a air filter to stop that

Hash_man_Se_i
04-21-2006, 05:24 PM
Damn... in a way that sucks, but running that setup for over 2 yrs and still having compression like that is awesome... Good luck with the turbo upgrade.

bobafett
04-21-2006, 07:07 PM
man buy my turbo. perfect time to upgrade. 400+ shipping. :D glad to hear your motor is alright!

i just got my ARP head studs, hope to install them tonight! lol

Accordtheory
04-21-2006, 08:50 PM
my car had around 150 even compression by the time I tore it all down and commenced the b series build..it still moved though..probably in the high 13s

Elijah
04-22-2006, 09:46 PM
Glad to here it was such a minor problem. Lucky in a way you get to go bigger and better now lol.

thegreatdane
04-23-2006, 09:18 AM
interesting, what about oil pressure, is that still within in specs too?

Justin86
04-30-2006, 09:02 AM
na it was more like a very small pebble. The wheels are very fragile and spining at 100,000rpm it doesn't take much to destroy them. Even the people that just put a mess screen over their inlets are not doing much to protect them selves. But hey live and learn. You just going with a basic t3/t4 or step up to a GT series?

Accordtheory
04-30-2006, 09:39 AM
But what happens when your engine inhales the pebble + all the pieces of the compressor wheel..?

I've seen some fucked up engines, and they weren't even turboed. I saw an air filter from a destroyed engine, I don't know what exactly happened to it, (he was way down the road ahead of me street racing in the country at night, all I heard was vtec and then a second or two later, silence) but there were pieces of piston rings in the air filter. How the piston disintegrates so badly that the ring escapes, makes it through the intake valve through the IM, and all the way to the filter in front of the front wheel..damn.

After I got a rock stuck in between the driveaxle and the tranny on my jetta that could have easily broken part of the tranny case, I'm paranoid about all kinds of shit like that now. I've had rocks get caught up the shift linkage and make the shifter feel weird, etc, etc. There is no way after seeing those rocks end up in those weird ass places that I'll ever roll without a timing cover or an air filter. I could totally see a rock throwing my timing belt and then somehow bouncing off and flying straight into the turbo, ensuring complete destruction of my expensive motor..

bobafett
04-30-2006, 09:55 AM
hehe so THATS why they build those little plastic belt covers i always remove!?!

AccordEpicenter
04-30-2006, 10:05 AM
lol haha. Well im sure the rock is in the turbo side of the intercooler... i might just take it apart and get it out. Its kind of a bitch to get to though. Not sure yet, i wanna to run a T3/T04E 60 trim with a stage 3 .63 a/r exhaust housing (im into shit your pants top end power), wasnt that the turbo you had fs chris? I was toying with the idea of making my turbo a T3/T04B 60-1 but i feel that even though it could flow 600hp id be wayyyyy out of the efficiency range to make it worthwhile, the slightly smaller T04E 60 is significantly more efficient over a wider range, its still on the large side for 250-300whp but itll be more efficient than the T3 60 and support around 500hp. Plus i already have the backing plate and compressor cover if i wanted to build it myself, but i cant find the damned T04E 60 compressor wheel, mine was damaged when got it.

Edit: i was also thinking of an SC61 y0

Justin86
05-06-2006, 05:42 PM
The T04E i a good low buck turbo to get you in the 500hp range. I also might recomend the GT3071 an easy (420-450hp) or a GT35 for up to 600hp. If you don't mind the 1200 price tag.

bobafett
05-07-2006, 04:45 PM
wasnt that the turbo you had fs chris?

sure enough~ :)