PDA

View Full Version : R12 refill

1989accordaz
04-21-2006, 04:31 PM
Which one is the fitting to refill AC in our 3 geez, the one closer to the battery or the on closer to the radiator?

I have the hoses and gauges, and a friendof mine has a cylinder of r12.

Thanks

Oldblueaccord
04-21-2006, 05:35 PM
Rubber line near the rad is the low side. Cooper pipe near the battery is high. Should be black cap low and red cap high and threads should coraspond as well.

Remember the high side can go up to 250 psi so be carefull. Safty glasses etc . would be a must.

wp

1989accordaz
04-21-2006, 07:35 PM
I connected a gauge to the low side and it reads 75 psi with the ac off, and with the AC on it reads 5 in.Hg vac....... What is it supposed to be?

UPDATE: Damn, what a newbie, there is a how to section on AC. I'll rent a vacuum and test my system for leaks first. Then we'll go from there. Hope all my plumbing is good.

HondaBoy
04-21-2006, 08:15 PM
damn, too bad i'm not in a/c class yet. in a few weeks i start then i can probably help. i'm going to be redoing the a/c in my 3gee while in the class.

88Accord-DX
04-21-2006, 08:27 PM
Might want to consider converting to R-134a in the future. R-12 requires a license to buy & is being phased out. I'm not at work, or I could give you a pressure reading on the high & low side.

Blkblurr
04-22-2006, 06:25 AM
the leaks i've found most often in our cars is the O-rings between the tubes going to the condensor core behind the radiator are bad. Replace them and evacuate the system with a vacuum pump for several hours to remove moisture. Do this after you determine you have no leak using the vacuum pump and your guages.

1989accordaz
04-23-2006, 11:02 AM
Man, did I get lucky. The last time that I used my AC was a bout 3 years ago, I just ran out of coolant and I never re-charged it. So I just put the AC system under vacuum, 29-30 in. Hg for about 30 minutes and the guage did not move at all. So I am now postive that I have no leaks. All I need to do is get the cylinder of R-12 from my buddy ( he has a 23 galon tank ) and recharge it while under vaccum.
Driving around Tucson,AZ. With no AC is boderline suicidal!:devil:
Update: AC is up annd running, and it's pretty damn cold!:D

Blkblurr
04-24-2006, 05:10 AM
Sounds good then

HondaBoy
04-25-2006, 09:03 PM
good to hear. in a few weeks i plan to get started on my a/c system. i'm going to convert to 134a just because its most cost effective. i think i may get all new parts, condensor, compressor, and the evaporator along with new O rings if it needs it. here where i live its pretty bad driving around right about now and especially in the summer with no a/c. hopefully i can get it done pretty cheaply. all i have to do is pay for parts and put them on at school.