PDA

View Full Version : ECU code checking on 88 DX model

88Accord-DX
04-22-2006, 12:50 AM
I was going to see if I had any codes on my ECU today. I pulled the driver side seat out & pulled the plastic cover off the top of the ECU, only to discover it had the words "Control Unit" on it.

Well, I didn't see no place that a LED light would blink. I even took the thing out to look underneath it. I even was able to start my car with it dis-connected. Is this what you guys been calling a OBD-0 system? Is there anyway to check for codes on this primitive devise? I'm a little stumped on this so called "ECU"...

Edit- I would appreciate any help on this, cause I looked on the computer at work on the Mitchell program & it said all models have a LED light that will blink.

shepherd79
04-22-2006, 07:00 AM
boy you need a lot of education EFI.
since you are carbed, you have no ECU. ECU is for EFI cars only. That control unit is for emissions only.
So don't waist your time trying to figure out if you can read any codes, because you won't have any to start with.

88Accord-DX
04-22-2006, 09:57 AM
Good deal. The Mitchell program threw me off on "all models" have LED light.

I still need to figure out if the thing is still good or not & what all its function does.

SteveDX89
04-23-2006, 06:28 AM
It controls all the solenoids and what not inside the black box. You can rip all that out and the engine will still will run, just pollute a little more.

WindsAloft989
08-15-2006, 09:59 PM
ddude - I'm glad you asked that question before I ripped my seat out ... I had been awfully curious about what was in that box.

SteveDX89 - So would ripping out that box improve fuel efficiency ??

:) Who cares about pollution.

Vanilla Sky
08-15-2006, 10:32 PM
no, it also helps you with fuel economy. it does control your mixture and i beleive the EGR as well. you can do the removal and get the same mileage, but it usually requires a little bit of adjustment.

mike's stage one removal probably wouldn't change the drivability of the car much at all. maybe a bit more power, but the big thing with the stage one is that you get rid of your bird's nest of vacuum hoses. not sure about you, but that's a big thing for me since i'm always under my hood.