PDA

View Full Version : going turbo, need advice

newaccorddriver
04-22-2006, 05:17 PM
well, ive gotten the intercooler which i doubt im going to use for obvious reasons(SRT4 intercooler which is almost impossible to mount properly). my turbo manifolds getting made some time next week, and im buying a turbo soon enough.

as of now, my engines pretty much on its last breath and it will need to be rebuilt soon enough, good thing i have a spare motor to rebuild(thanks elijah). my rebuild would probably take a good month or so considering i gotta get my block and head disassembled and hot tanked/magnafluxed and save up for a rebuild kit.

i still need to gather up alot of other parts, but when i do and my engine isnt rebuilt, should i boost it anyways? ive got a motorrebuilding, so if i melt a piston or blow a gasket, it shouldnt matter too much would it?

bobafett
04-23-2006, 06:00 PM
what is wrong with the motor that you have in teh car now?
if you have a backup car thats probably a good idea to start the tune on a motor u dont have any money invested in, and dont mind losing.

but if you dont have an extra car to use in case it dies, i would just wait for the built motor

newaccorddriver
04-23-2006, 09:45 PM
what is wrong with the motor that you have in teh car now?
if you have a backup car thats probably a good idea to start the tune on a motor u dont have any money invested in, and dont mind losing.

but if you dont have an extra car to use in case it dies, i would just wait for the built motor

its leaking oil in 3 different places, and today ive found out that its smoking from somewhere(probably the exhaust). ive got my BMW to drive and at worst my grampas corolla. im considering dropping the insurance on the corolla and letting my grampa drive the BMW when my current insurance expires(in july), but i dont wanna insure the accord when its not in good running shape.

ive got a manifold coming in the mail courtesy of blaast performance, and im going to need to buy a turbo from them soon enough. would need a bunch of other shit, but i guess i should start rebuilding and hope its rebuilt in time when i blow up my current motor(if i go turbo by that time)

bobafett
04-24-2006, 08:07 AM
i would love to see pictures of the manifold when you recieve it. :) what style did you buy, and for what type of turbo?

newaccorddriver
04-24-2006, 03:37 PM
i would love to see pictures of the manifold when you recieve it. :) what style did you buy, and for what type of turbo?

i chopped my junkyard manifold so he can salvage the flange. he said he cant make me a typical log style manifold cause the 2-3 runners are too close for him to 'T' off of, so he said EQUAL SHORT LENGTH manifold, or whatever that means.

i plan to either run a T3 turbo, or a T3/T4 turbo(only cause itll be alot easier to sell if my project flops over)

EDIT: i dont really know how to post pictures and i dont really care too much about posting pictures, but when i get it ill send you pictures, and if you like, you can host them for me:)

bobafett
04-24-2006, 04:28 PM
yeah im willing to host pics for you when you get it.

semi ELR manifold is pretty cool, thats probably what i want to build as well.