PDA

View Full Version : Weird Crap in my Head

speedpenguin
04-23-2006, 03:59 AM
So I blew another valve cover gasket recently, and when I pulled the valve cover off, I found some black stuff collected in small patches around the inside wall of the head. It looked like sludge, but when I touched it, it was actually quite solid, like plastic that had melted and then hardened there.
Anyone seen this before or know what it might be? The car runs fine (except for having a miss in one of the cylinders. A mechanic told me my carb needed to be rebuilt to fix that) although that gasket should have lasted a lot longer than it did. I'm just worried that it will happen again and I will have to replace the gasket again.

reanimator420
04-23-2006, 05:17 AM
oh i thought you heard voices in your head.lol

MessyHonda
04-23-2006, 08:41 AM
oh i thought you heard voices in your head.lol

funny guy....i also took off my valve cover and i remember thinking i need a better cam. what kind of oil do you use?

speedpenguin
04-23-2006, 02:21 PM
No weird smells. It's the only thing different about the head that I can think would even possibly lead to me blowing another gasket as soon as I did. It had collected at the right and left sides of the head, right at the seam between the head and the valve cover, in lumps. So I don't think it's actual melted plastic. I'm pretty sure those rings don't fit in that hole anyway.

Blkblurr
04-24-2006, 08:18 AM
Can you post some pics?

87AccordsterLx
04-24-2006, 04:00 PM
Its not a lot of carbon buildup is it?

speedpenguin
04-24-2006, 04:23 PM
Can't post pics, no camera. Besides, I cleaned it off so I could put the valve cover back on and drive the car.

Its not a lot of carbon buildup is it?
How would I tell if it was?

88Accord-DX
04-24-2006, 04:36 PM
Edit- If you used a lot of black RTV silicone on the rubber valve cover gasket. It will squeeze out into the inside of the valve cover.

Rubber & silicone do not mix. It splits the rubber gasket & makes it weak.

speedpenguin
04-24-2006, 05:12 PM
Didn't use anything.
This time I used gasket sealer so I don't blow another one though.