PDA

View Full Version : turboing a20 or just go a b series

fraza
04-24-2006, 12:44 AM
im consideriong turboing my a20 but because lack of aftermarket support prepping the enigne for 10 pound plus is going to be very pricey, would it just be easyer to swap in a b series and get the b turbo system.

also how much psi can stock internals take on a a20 ??

ive designed the manifold and everything gonan be a pretty basic log style, designed for a garret t28 and all the intercooling pipe has been designed none of witch have been made yet but is on standby once i sus out the a20 potential

thanx for ya help guys

SteveDX89
04-24-2006, 03:19 AM
would it just be easyer to swap in a b series and get the b turbo system.

NO!

A turbo system is a turbo system. You could buy a B series turbo system and use it on the A20. You would just need a different manifold. The rest is the same. I'm sure you can run 10 psi on a stock A20. People do it on stock B16's and those are not as stout as an A20.

fraza
04-24-2006, 06:35 AM
10PSI!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!!one!!
that is a fair load of pessure, how aboput after the engine has done like 235000 km?
if thats so then yeh turboing a a20 is easy i could do it for under 2000, 1200 of that will go into a aftermarket computer

gfrg88
04-24-2006, 07:55 AM
our stock engines i think handle about 15 psi on a good tune. it would be alot cheaper to turbo the a20 then to go with a b engine, and theres parts to build engine for turbo, check out bobafets built engine, http://www.a20turbo.com

Cheeseburger
04-24-2006, 08:01 AM
not to mention that a b-series is going to be way more heavy on the wallet

bobafett
04-24-2006, 08:18 AM
www.a20turbo.com/features/chris/

a turbo setup can be as cheap or as expensive as you let it. it will be harder to kill an a20 than a b16/b18 etc. :)

personally i would go with a20-t every day of the week. now for a fully built NA setup... the aftermarket potential makes me consider b16 a lot more. :) but i dont want an NA build lol

voiceinurhead05
04-24-2006, 09:17 AM
A reground camshaft will help your motor handle more boost. I think a delta 272 would serve you well. Sobody correct me if I'm mistaken

bobafett
04-24-2006, 10:13 AM
mistaken.

this a more agressive camshaft and is not necesserily more helpful. the accepted general rule is that you want less duration and more lift on a turbo profile cam grind. a delta 272 does give more lift, but also gives substantially more duration (not desireable).

a more agressive cam profile might move the powerband higher in the rpm range, which is better suited to a boosted motor (if you want that type of power band), but it will certainly not help your car handle more boost in any way. it will just make the boost that you ARE running pull harder in the top end, while sacrificing low end.

i called delta cam, and told them about my setup, and they said they would get me a split profile, 282 intake 272 exhaust, with slightly higher lift than the normal 272/282 grinds, but my motor isnt really a good comparison for most turbo setups.

i think unless you have a BUILT motor and plan on sustained 7k rpm driving, a stock cam can work great with a turbo setup. sean preferred the stock cam and reccomended it over even a 272, but i dont think there was ever any dyno info to back this up.

while you are NA, a 272 is an awesome cam though, i ran one for years, and its one of my top 2 mods. :)

smufguy
04-24-2006, 10:40 AM
im sure on a safer side, you can handle around 250hp. Sean used to claim we can get 300hp (not sure if he said 300whp) out of the stock block with stock internals.

bobafett
04-24-2006, 12:39 PM
sean also had a much more thourough tune than most. something to keep in mind

fraza
04-24-2006, 05:40 PM
haha this is awsome, thanx guys, me and my mate have been ringing around all week for places to make custom forged pistons, strethen my gearbox, new drive shafts ect. but i guess i dont need it :D
to get a custom camshaft dose it have to be off the shelf or can people make wot eva i want from scratch, because im in australia im limited from little aftermarket to no aftermarket

bobafett
04-24-2006, 09:03 PM
more often than not the camshaft will be reground from a stock cam that you pull from a junkyard motor. i dont know of many/any places that actully build 'new' cams. of course i dont know who offers this service in Australia, but there are several places here in the US, and I imagine that you will have plenty of choices over there as well.

they won't be able to make 'whatever you want' from a stock cam, but they can get a grind specific to the type of power band you desire. but its not like they are creating anything from the ground up.

SteveDX89
04-25-2006, 02:58 AM
haha this is awsome, thanx guys, me and my mate have been ringing around all week for places to make custom forged pistons, strethen my gearbox, new drive shafts ect. but i guess i dont need it :D
to get a custom camshaft dose it have to be off the shelf or can people make wot eva i want from scratch, because im in australia im limited from little aftermarket to no aftermarket

I would just stick with the stock cam for now. They're easy to swap, that way you can get your turbo bolted on and running so that if there's any problems, you can eliminate the cam as a possible item.

A20A1
04-25-2006, 03:14 AM
A reground camshaft will help your motor handle more boost. I think a delta 272 would serve you well. Sobody correct me if I'm mistaken
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41370

smufguy
04-27-2006, 10:23 AM
from the stock specs, a A20A1 head with the efi camshaft works best since the A1/A2 exhaust valves a bit larger than the A3/A4 ones. in conjunction with the A3/A4 camshaft with higher lift, u will get a better exhaust flow from the exhaust valves.

Accordtheory
04-27-2006, 05:37 PM
there is a pic somewhere on this site of what I did to my 5th gear with about 13psi. If you haven't seen it, look it up.. In my opinion, if you're not going to exceed the amount of hp the a20 tranny can reliably handle, a swap is not worthwhile. I am, so I did a b series swap. A totally stock a20 can easily handle 10 psi daily. 13 psi had me pulling away from cars like srt4s, wrxs, etc. I didn't have a garret turbo though, I had a mitsubishi big 16g, with supporting mods like a 3" exhaust, the aebs IM, etc. Supposedly the evo has the same unit. Most of the reliability comes from tuning, if you tune to like 11.8:1 a/f and take out more than enough timing to avoid knock, (if you don't tune on a dyno for mbt) you'll be okay for a while..

AccordEpicenter
04-28-2006, 06:11 PM
i dont boost in 5th gear and i dont do 4th gear rippers very often, usually just as i get into 2nd gear is when i just pull away from pretty much anything this side of a viper(seriously) and on 13psi the engine has been flawless soo far. I have a garrett T3 60/63 and it has pretty good top end pull, and i would reccomend a good tune with good engine managemant, tune conservatively and look into water/methanol injection for higher boost etc, these engines are very strong if you stay out of detonation and tune conservatively

Chadroper
07-03-2006, 02:15 PM
The B16 can run at higher speeds though