PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Honda accord ex problem

Albion
04-24-2006, 04:20 PM
I have a 1989 honda accord ex with a problem it is a 2.0 litre 5 speed and carb. On really warm days the rpms will rise to 2000-2500 just like the automatic choke goes on. I pushed the accelerator but the rpms do not drop they stay the same. It usually happens when stopped at lites or signs. I have checked for vacuum leaks and sprayed carb cleaner on the lines. I have some friends with a similiar car and they have the same problem as myself. Any suggestions on how to solve the problem?? If you need more information just ask. Thanks. ps no vacuum leaks detected.

speedpenguin
04-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Have you tried putting your foot under the accelerator and pulling it up when it does this?
I'm just wondering because mine does about the same thing and that's how I'm dealing with it until I can figure out exactly what's wrong.

Blkblurr
04-25-2006, 01:01 PM
If pulling on the accelerator fixes the high idle then it sounds like a problem with the cable that connects the pedal to the carb. May need to be lubed. Pull the cable free from the carb and see if it moves freely when pressing the accelerator.

Accordaone
04-25-2006, 03:19 PM
My '87 carbed did the same thing for a long time. Finally, a mechanic said the only cure was a carb rebuild. Not sure exactly what part caused it, but it was cured. Good luck.

Albion
04-26-2006, 08:14 PM
Yup putting foot under the pedal does fix the problem...i know that it not the cable which was changed for this very reason . the throttle cable moves freely so i do not think that's the problem. In winter time no problem at all only in summer time. I am thinking maybe one of the vacuum diaphrams that connect to the carb(on passenger side) may be the problem but I am not sure. Thanks for your input it was greatly aprreciated. Albion