PDA

View Full Version : Carb to FI A18A engine. Help and opinions needed!!

AccordB20A
04-24-2006, 04:45 PM
i have an a18a engine from a 1986 honda accord. it is currently running a carb that is pretty much screwed. The car that this motor is going into is an e x2.0Si sedan. but the engine and box has been removed to go into my project accord. what i want to do is inject the a18a using the b20a wiring loom and intake manifold. i know most of it fits up and i have a fair idea how to do it but i need a bit of help when it comes to some sensors that the a18a doesnt have that the b20a does (TDC censor ETC...)

do you think its possible..will it run ok using the b20a computer and wiring loom thats already in the car. The engine doesnt have to run that great considering its an a18a thats done 305877kms and not really been looked after.

any help / how tos / fix ups and tips will be appriciated :D

gfrg88
04-24-2006, 05:35 PM
wait why are you changing the b20??? anyways you should use the a18 head with an a20a3 block, and upgrade the cam, header, exhaust and the carbs, that thing should fly :rockon:

AccordB20A
04-24-2006, 06:03 PM
well this car will be a daily driver till my b20 beast is built then it will be getting solt, basically i am just getting it so it drives and to sell off when my cars done. i stole the b20a out of it for my car :D

shepherd79
04-24-2006, 08:18 PM
i am guessing you have dual carbs that look like bike carbs. If that is the case than you won't be able to use EFI on that head.
the intake manifold bolt pattern will be diff.
You can stick with dual carbs.
If you still want to get it EFI. you will have to change the distributor mounting braket from A20A efi engine. put EFI distributor and you will have TDC and other sensors.

AccordB20A
04-24-2006, 09:38 PM
na its single carb and im sure the bolt up patterns all the same. (same as other a series) so im going to need to get a distributor.. thought that would be the case. how well would the engine run without those sensors?

carotman
04-25-2006, 07:58 PM
If you already have a B20A in there, it's kind of a pain to get an A series to work fine without some mods. Especially if this engine was carbed like the A18A.

Here's what I know you will need from an EFI A20A

- Thermostat housing
- Distributor
- PJ0 ECU
- Rear engine coolant pipe from an EFI A20A (you could mod the A18A one tough)
- A20A EFI distributor bracket on the head (for the EFI dizzy)

You will also need to change the alternator or at least swap the voltage regulator from an EFI car to the A18A alternator. The reason you need to do this is that the EFI alternator have 4 wires while the carb only have 3.

Once you all got that, the wiring harness will need some mods near the distributor. The A series don't have a crank sensor so you might need to modify the plugs and move wires around a bit. The Ignitor wiring is also different since the PJ0 ECU doesn't control ignition through the igniter but through vacuum solenoids. You don't really need them since it's a temporary setup but the engine will lack power for sure.

The pinout is also a bit different on the ECU so you'll have to move pins around in the ECU connector.

This is what I can think of now.

AccordB20A
04-26-2006, 01:36 PM
sweet as. the trouble i will have is sourcing parts as ive never seen an injected a series engine in the country (NZ) all carbys so far but ill have a go!