PDA

View Full Version : Windshield removal and installation

bullard123
04-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Anyone replace a windshield lately? I have a crack in mine and I'm going to the junkyard to get one. Any removal/installation tips anyone?

Hash_man_Se_i
04-25-2006, 05:20 PM
Tip #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.... get it done proffesionally.

I used to work in a windshield shop, and I know that an improperly installed windshield can be a huuge saftey risk, as it is a major safety feature in our cars. And secondly, using a used windshield will make it even harder to install properly as you can never get as good of a seal as with a new windshield.

I mean, for the $140 ish you would spend on getting a new windshield installed professionally it's definately worth it.

88Accord-DX
04-25-2006, 07:47 PM
Edit- nevermind...

MessyHonda
04-25-2006, 08:06 PM
Anyone replace a windshield lately? I have a crack in mine and I'm going to the junkyard to get one. Any removal/installation tips anyone?

at my junk yard they have like people that install windshields somewhat pro, they charge like 89 bucks but im not sure if that includes window or not

Gemini2003
04-26-2006, 07:50 AM
I haven't installed any windshields but I have removed them...

I went to the local parts store and grabbed windshield removal wire. I forced the wire through the rubber seal (surround) of the windshield, tied two screw drivers to each end of the wire and used it like a saw to cut the rubber. I know it sounds like a ghetto way of doing it but I've removed 3 windshields this way.

I do suggest getting a shop to install the window. They are professionals and have guarantees. Plus I called around and I can get it one put in for $50 :-)

bullard123
04-26-2006, 03:36 PM
at my junk yard they have like people that install windshields somewhat pro, they charge like 89 bucks but im not sure if that includes window or not
That sounds cool. Most junkyards don't do that. I wish insurance will cover things like that.

3gn86lxi
04-26-2006, 08:49 PM
I manage a glass shop.......my advice is, PAY A PROFFESIONAL TO DO IT. period.
A windshield is a huge safety issue. If you screw it up, you may as well just say goodbye if you get in an accident and you hit the windshield.
Nuf said..........don't do it.
Hey, can someone sticky some stuff about windshield info??? There still seem to be people asking about "do it yourself installation" Some one needs to say how stupid it is and how dangerous also.

A18A
04-27-2006, 01:28 AM
I forced the wire through the rubber seal (surround) of the windshield, tied two screw drivers to each end of the wire and used it like a saw to cut the rubber. I know it sounds like a ghetto way of doing it but I've removed 3 windshields this way.

thats how they say 2 do it in the manual, so i would call it profesional :) manual says to use piano wire though lol

HondaBoy
04-27-2006, 01:33 PM
hmm, piano wire. is the manual italian or wut? lol. but yeah, get it done professionally when its installed. it'll be well worth it. i plan to have the one for my datsun installled by a shop, i have the glass but would rather have someone else put it in so it doesnt end up leaking or not sit right.

88Accord-DX
04-27-2006, 08:06 PM
I was going to say that if you try to do it yourself, there is possibility of it leaking. Not only it being a safety issue as mentioned, some things are left for the pros man.

Hash_man_Se_i
04-28-2006, 03:58 PM
^^^ Yup... and the leaking is usually caused from rusting windshield frames, which can happen easily if you don't prep it properly before installing.

3gn86lxi
04-28-2006, 04:24 PM
^^^ Yup... and the leaking is usually caused from rusting windshield frames, which can happen easily if you don't prep it properly before installing.
Ahhhmen my brother.

bullard123
04-29-2006, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the advice fellows. I think I'm going to do like Gemini2003 and remove a good one from the junkyard and have a professional put it in. I can clean it real good while its out of the car so it looks new.