PDA

View Full Version : muffler

mastaofdisasta
04-26-2006, 05:45 AM
Will a Maxspeed muffler 9from 2kracing.com) sound decent on my car, with everything else stock except for a SRI, and if it does end up sounding like a tin can, what can i do to make it sound better, get like 2 inch piping in front iof it? I think my bro might have the skill to do that for me. O ya, my car is an 89 accord se-i

LiTtLe xOx BitT
04-26-2006, 06:28 AM
Are you doing it for a performance mod or just to be loud when your driving around? If your doing it for performance you should do a catback system with 2 1/4" pipe. If your doing it for the sound just put on a muffler.

mastaofdisasta
04-26-2006, 08:55 AM
I guess its a lil of both, id like it to a bit louder but not obnoxious and not with a tinny/rattling sound.

gfrg88
04-26-2006, 09:22 AM
id get something like a 2" exhaust from the header back, to a good muffler like magnaflow or borla, and maybe a resonator to make it sound deep. mine sounds really DEEP :rockon:

A20A1
04-26-2006, 05:23 PM
Yeah a res should help but also not buying cheap mufflers helps too, if you install it yourself make sure the tip is even with the bumper, if the muffler exits under the car you get more vibration/sound in the car.

I really liked the sound of the buddy club pro spec universal muffler I installed on a customers car. Thats if you want the cannister style muffler, if not there are plenty of good oval mufflers to choose from.

Gerroni
04-26-2006, 05:31 PM
A20A1, what exhaust system do you have. I want to get that muffler but I was wondering what you had backing it up.

gfrg88
04-26-2006, 05:41 PM
i dont think a20a1 has a muffler ;)

if i remember correctly, he has a custom header to a straight through header back 2" exhaust.

Gerroni
04-26-2006, 06:05 PM
Ahh, oops i read it wrong. Thanks for savin me from looking like a complete idiot.

mastaofdisasta
04-26-2006, 06:13 PM
heres the muffler i got

http://www.2kracing.com/product_info.php/cPath/4_60_1123/products_id/1877

i hope it sounds decent in conjunction with

http://www.2kracing.com/product_info.php/products_id/3464

gfrg88
04-26-2006, 06:24 PM
did you also get that intake???? thats the crappiest intake ive ever seen and its expensive

MessyHonda
04-26-2006, 07:59 PM
i was going to get one of thoes cheap muffler that only give out sound but then i got a magnaflow muffler but im still waiting for my headers to come in to install everything at once. it should sound good once i install it

A20A1
04-27-2006, 12:23 AM
Well I do have a muffler but its not permenent. It was an aftermarket original VW bug muffler 2", it was all I had laying around that would fit under my lowered car. I want to cut the floor possibly and make room for a larger muffler or just raise the car back up.

I plan to fiddle with the primary and secondary lengths of my Megan Racing header and then put on a different muffler.

After I test out the Hooker Aero chamber muffler on my friends car I may get one for the end of the tunned secondary pipe I need to add to my header collector. The muffler will be 2.25" inlet and 2.25" outlet. At one point the exhaust collector will merge from 3" to 2" then to 2.25" pipe the rest of the way to the muffler.

I would get a buddy club, but I've decided to use a muffler under the car somewhere in the middle instead of at the rear to help my header keep its tunned length... I can always run more pipe after the muffler to a straight thru muffler at the rear like a 2.25" or 2.5" buddy club and it wont hurt any.

I don't think I ever plan to go over 200hp so there is no reason for me to run anything more then 2.25"

heres the muffler i got
http://www.2kracing.com/product_info.php/cPath/4_60_1123/products_id/1877
i hope it sounds decent in conjunction with
http://www.2kracing.com/product_info.php/products_id/3464

From the looks of things you searched for 86-89 accord parts... but really those parts are cheap universal parts, so universal that they fit our accord or any accord under the sun. It's not bad that you're looking for parts but you should try and do some research on here first because a lot of us have been down that road before.

You would have been better off with a custom intake, you could make a Cold Air intake for less then $75, and that leaves another $50 for a good K&N filter, you'd spend at most $125 v.s the dragon intake that has a short pipe and a filter that is way too small IMO.

I would have picked a different muffler, you can buy generic mufflers like that for $50-$75. Maxspeed is fairly generic, just like R-Active, Matrix, and APC, all of which are overpriced if you try and buy it in a store or on a rip off on-line store.
http://www.2kracing.com/muffler.mp3
Their only sound byte is the interior sound, so that doesn't tell you anything, it also doesn't list what car its on.

The money you saved making a custom CAI would have given you more money to spend on a nicer muffler or other parts you may have wanted.

mastaofdisasta
04-27-2006, 05:50 AM
ok now im kinda upset i just spent the money for that SRI, so can i swap the dragon filter that comes with it with a K&N cone filter, is the piping for the weapon r intakes really that bad, how can i make it better, is there any way?

LiTtLe xOx BitT
04-27-2006, 08:41 AM
I got a CAI off a 90-93 integra with a washable filter for $45 shipped, you just have to modify it to fit.

snoopyloopy
04-27-2006, 09:51 AM
ok now im kinda upset i just spent the money for that SRI, so can i swap the dragon filter that comes with it with a K&N cone filter, is the piping for the weapon r intakes really that bad, how can i make it better, is there any way?
the piping will probably alright. but it has that little name on it, so they charged you for that. but like a20a1 said, change the filter. you can buy filters with different sized openings and you can also use rubber reducer connectors to connect it to the pipe if the one with the filter doesn't work. go to a hardware or auto parts store and find one. or just send the dragon back and get a cheap knock-off cai off ebay and a k&n filter.
and before you spend any more money and become even more upset, i suggest you put the credit card down and browse this forum for about a week, paying special attention to the search button and looking at past threads to see what kind of questions people asked and the answers they got. right now, you're just buying buying buying without much of an idea of what you're doing. before you spend any more money on any parts, you need to sit down and decide what direction you really want to go with this car. do you want a drag queen, an autocross superstar, or just a quick daily driver? how much money do you have to put into this vehicle? do you want to keep it na or do you want to turbo it? now i'm not saying you have to know exactly what you want and you can change your mind. but like i said, look around the forum and you'll find information on building the car for whatever you plan to do with it. but if you missed everything else i said, get a plan in mind and get it quick. you won't regret it later on and will end up saving yourself money as well.

mastaofdisasta
04-27-2006, 02:03 PM
good advice snoopyloopy, i aint bought anything since the tires intake and muffler, i dont really want to do anything specific for the car, just a daily driver that isnt like everything else everyone is driving. I dont wanna spend over 500$ so far all the parts only costed me 158ish of my own cash. I think with the dragon intake ill keep the filter as a spare, get a bypass valve and some tubing on ebay or somein and make it into a CAI. That shouldnt cost too much and it will make the sri not a total waste, but i still have a week to think and ill search around and do what u said, cuz my parts dont come in for a week. So thanks again.

Mars
04-27-2006, 08:38 PM
Id try to send the sri back if you could.

Tell them it didnt fit or some crap.

mastaofdisasta
04-28-2006, 08:55 AM
i wish i had that kinda ambition but its being shipped from the other side of the country

LiTtLe xOx BitT
04-28-2006, 09:51 AM
put it on ebay for like $10 cheaper then what the company sells it for. You will loose $10 but its better then keeping it, then just buy a CAI.

Mars
04-28-2006, 10:23 AM
yeah those things sell for like, 80-100 bucks on ebay, buy it now.

snoopyloopy
04-28-2006, 10:57 AM
i wish i had that kinda ambition but its being shipped from the other side of the country
you can probably return it free of charge if you ordered it from a company. just say you changed your mind or w/e. nothing too ambitious, really.