PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know how to tap cigarette lighter adapter power???

Type R Accord
08-24-2002, 01:17 AM
shyt...hey everyone...im a new to the 3G thing and im wondering if anyone knows how to tap power from the cigarette lighter adapter from the back...i have an 87 accord dx sedan and im trying to do some custom interior and lighting...i know it would be easier to tap it from the existing socket from the front of the unit, but it would look unclean...im looking to run some wires under the carpeting so i can hook the juice up to some 12v lights i have...ive tried taking out the instrument panels, but it just led to more and more dash removal, and im looking to do this the most efficient way possible...is there anyway to tap the cig lighter power without removing the entire dash???

smufguy
08-24-2002, 05:04 AM
no there is no way to remove the cig lighter without taking the dash off. u can snake your hand in thru the ash tray after its removed, but i doubt ur fingers will reach there. so anywayz. i would recommend to have yoru custom ligting to have a separate line running from your battery with an inline fuest on it. 15Amp shoudl be fine on the fuse. forget tapping from your cig lighter, its remotely possible, the power cable for the cig is not open but like a cup where the lighter unit with a protrusion on its back stucks into. any custom lighting, should be on a seperate line, unless its like a side marker on your fender near your door which you can tap into your corner lights. so anyways. tapping into something is the last thing cause it WOULD lead to more probs if tapped incorrectly or it shorts out.

catalin
08-24-2002, 11:21 AM
The nice about Hondas is that they have included extra power plugs in all their fuse blocks. If you bend down and have a look at the drivers side fuse block, you'll see some small square openings with small spade terminals in them. One will be constant power, one will be park lights, and a couple will be ignition.

smufguy
08-24-2002, 03:22 PM
hey catalin, is that those three rect wint one pin type on the top of the dash fuse box? my alarm was tapped into it. i was amzed how clean it was.

catalin
08-24-2002, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by smufguy
hey catalin, is that those three rect wint one pin type on the top of the dash fuse box? my alarm was tapped into it. i was amzed how clean it was.

Yes that sounds about right. Most places will do a cheap alarm install by plugging in the alarm power supply there too. But you should only have one alarm wire, which will be the parking lights output.

smufguy
08-25-2002, 01:23 PM
yep thats all they did, it was an awsome install of my alarm. man...... but now i am gonna get a new one.

catalin
08-25-2002, 09:12 PM
Make sure that they don't tap into there for alarm constant power... it's way too easy to disable the alarm that way.

POS carb
08-26-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by smufguy
no there is no way to remove the cig lighter without taking the dash off.

not true on my 87 LX :wave:

JoeS92A
08-27-2002, 08:06 AM
If you just remove your stereo you can see the cig lighter and remove it easily....maybe its an 87 thang.

CivicEater
08-27-2002, 10:03 AM
if you're running more than 2 neon tubes, i suggest buying a relay that turns on when the car turns on.. (wire IT to the cig lighter) then use the contacts on the relay (and a direct line from the battery) to turn things on and off..

Type R Accord
08-27-2002, 10:56 PM
ok....so lets say i would take the "tap from the battery" route....how would i go about doing that....ive never done anything like that b4....and also....would anyone know how to CLEANLY remove an 87 accord DX dash???? ive been trying to remove it for 2 days straight...and its been pissing me off...ive been trying to do some custom color interior...but yea...if any of your guys could help...i would appreciate it thanx....

CivicEater
08-28-2002, 06:56 AM
buy a relay, something with 3 or 4 contacts on it.

run a positive wire from the battery into your car, wire the positive to the input power on the relay..
then run a wire to the switched power from the cig lighter. ground wires go to the nearest bolted down metal thing.. then just hook up positive power to all the positive power wires from your neons.. when you turn on your car, the relay is powered, and your neons are turned on.. (if you want, add a switch in the main power wire to turn it on and off..)