PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions (Fuel Filter and Throttle Cable)

dalinxz
04-27-2006, 08:08 PM
Ok first question is about the fuel filter, ok so first off I have an 88 honda accord DX i know I didnt have to say Honda accord lol but ya anyways problems,

1.) Rear Fuel Filter, the two bolts for the small container are rusted as is the entire container so how can i get the filter out.

2.) I was reading about how the car shifts very late, I want to adjust mine so it shifts quicker and before because as of now it keeps shifting at 3k unless your picking up reallly slowly. By the way I have an automatic and what i was reading about something like a throttle cable or Transmission throttle, TV cable or something.

I did searches but couldnt find too many things to match
Thanks guys
:wave:

1989accordaz
04-27-2006, 09:06 PM
For the transmission, check this link: http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40885

About removing the fuel filter basket...soak the bolts with wd40 or something similar. Use vise grip pliers if the head of the bolts are round just to break them loose.

dalinxz
04-28-2006, 07:38 AM
i tried the wd40 and it just doesnt help i soaked it multiple times and the vice grips ended up stripping it more its like the rust made a layer of its own thats attached to the edges and all around

Accordaone
04-28-2006, 11:31 AM
About the filter basket, if it's that rusted can't you break it out and replace it with a junkyard one with self threading screws? Or, drill and tap bolt holes. Good luck!

dalinxz
04-28-2006, 02:15 PM
OOOh thats a smart idea although i jst tried and the rust isnt that bad that you can break it but Im going to try it, hopefully I find one at the junkyard, The thing is I dont want the filter just hanging there where it can get punctured and can either blow up or worse leak, in which case I would lose the precious expensive fuel lol

MessyHonda
04-28-2006, 02:40 PM
OOOh thats a smart idea although i jst tried and the rust isnt that bad that you can break it but Im going to try it, hopefully I find one at the junkyard, The thing is I dont want the filter just hanging there where it can get punctured and can either blow up or worse leak, in which case I would lose the precious expensive fuel lol

im taking physics and today we were talking about the hollywood movies and how if you shoot the car they blow up. Gas does not blow up unless its underpressure...thats why you want to get more air and gas in a engine with a turbo to give it more power...the worse is a leak but still you should get it fixed soon

dalinxz
04-28-2006, 06:50 PM
well no i mean i still want it to sit in a container so whats another way to take it out? Ill be putting up pictures once I get a car wash, dont want to yet its really dirty the front left fender doesnt even look white anymore its like a dark yellow because of all the grease and oil.

Whistler225
04-28-2006, 07:14 PM
what I usually do if I can't turn a bolt with a wrench is use a screwdriver.

If you can get to the bolt head with a hacksaw, cut a notch in it, as close to the middle as possible. If you can't get to it with the saw, try a metal chisel and a hammer. Once you cut a decent groove in the bolt head, (it needs to be fairly wide) take a large standard screwdriver and crank away....you should be able to bust it loose.

dalinxz
04-28-2006, 08:54 PM
omg thats a smart idea thanks i have to try that. What about if its stripped My distributors screw it messed up so Im thinking of just breaking it and changing the entire thing.

Whistler225
04-29-2006, 05:56 AM
well, you can also drill out the bolt if the threads are stripped, then re-tap the hole (with a tap and die), and replace the bolt with an appropriate size that matches the die you used. I dunno if I would try and break a distributor bolt, just because you need to be pretty careful about those bolts. If you wrench on that bolt trying to break it, I would imagine you could screw up the way your distributor is mounted and therefore screw up your timing....and you never know....if you do that, you might make it impossible to FIX your timing if you do that. Bolt threads don't just become stripped. If you've had the dizzy off in the past (and didn't over-torque it putting it back on), I doubt the threads are actually stripped, in which case you should be able to get the bolt out with a little time, penetrating oil, and patience.

shepherd79
04-29-2006, 07:51 AM
TV or autu tranny cable can be adjusted. I would download honda shop manual and follow their steps.
Aslo, you may want to change the fluid in the tranny. People say using Honda ATF helps a lot with proper shifting.

Whistler225
04-29-2006, 09:32 AM
yup....just beware that sometimes that battery tray can be a real bitch to get out if the bolts are rusted like mine were. I managed to get the cable out without removing the tray though, and adjusting it makes a HUGE difference in the way the car shifts. Just make sure all you do is take the slack out of it. If you adjust the cable past the taught point, the car will shift too early, and your performance will suffer (it would suck to try and climb a long hill if your transmission won't downshift when it should, or if it keeps upshifting when it shouldn't) Plus, I think it might be bad for the transmission.