PDA

View Full Version : Smoke from the steering column

Oldblueaccord
04-28-2006, 10:28 PM
Well shit just what i needed moving into a new house and all. I came last week from work and when i pulled the key out of the igntion I swear i saw smoke. I ran into the house like a nut found some pliers and pulled the battery termial off. No damage but now I can't find what smoked.
I have unhooked the radio, checked fuses ran the car several times and I can't get anything to happen. I got the covers off the dash and the steering column. I'm taking it home tonight and maybe the headlights had something to do with it. I got the fire extingusher riding shotgun and the positive terminal loose :help:
Of course on a unrelated note I got no idle since the battery terminals been off. That always fun to deal with.
wp

Oldblueaccord
04-29-2006, 12:33 AM
Heh well not my best idea. 10 min ride i got light smoke seems to be the wires going to the left side ( my left) steering column used for the head light switch. Seems upper red wire and large white get hot and associated board there sodered too. I checked this all while going about a 100 down the highway.

:Owned:

Anyway i killed the lights once i got off I -40 and ran the hazards the rest of the way home and it cooled off so its headlight related

wp

TheWatcher
04-29-2006, 02:58 AM
Well shit just what i needed moving into a new house and all. I came last week from work and when i pulled the key out of the igntion I swear i saw smoke. I ran into the house like a nut found some pliers and pulled the battery termial off. No damage but now I can't find what smoked.
I thought that only happened to Fords. :lol: I once saw a Ford steering column go up in smoke.

That's why I always carry a socket set in the trunk, so I can disconnect the battery, if necessary.

Peace.

Oldblueaccord
05-04-2006, 10:18 PM
It ended up being the combination switch was bad. Its the stuff the lights stick and the wiper stick are attached to. I'm back and running.

wp

Vanilla Sky
05-05-2006, 12:38 AM
yup, that's the combo switch, like you discovered. i would assume it was the grease that got a bit too hard and caused too much resistance, or a loose solder joint. i've rebuilt a couple, and they're all fixable problems.

Mars
05-05-2006, 07:13 PM
I thought that only happened to Fords. :lol: I once saw a Ford steering column go up in smoke.
That's why I always carry a socket set in the trunk, so I can disconnect the battery, if necessary.
Peace.
Hah yeah, i had that happen to an old maverick i once owned.

Oldblueaccord
05-05-2006, 09:49 PM
Hah yeah, i had that happen to an old maverick i once owned.

Yep parents old maverick did too. 3 days new. Never did work right after that. We nearly frozze to death as little kids in that car.

wp

Mars
05-08-2006, 08:12 PM
they are nearly indestructable tho

GOTWILDRICE
05-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Had the same smok'in steering colum problem - and yes is was the combination switch - i figured it was coz i had the head light conversion units w/ blue simulated HID bulbs- this puts extra power thru the switch and caused the burning - a good idea is to place a relay on the regualr beam head lights since only the high beams are on a relay. Since ssomeone stole the connversion headlights out of my car I've not had any further smok'in issues

danny nr crew
10-27-2013, 04:29 PM
i am currently having the exact same problem. i already replaced my combination switch but the thick white wire is still getting hot. this only happens when i turn the headlights on. could it be a short somewhere in my wiring or just another bad combination switch. i have an 86 hatch lxi.