PDA

View Full Version : I'm not dead....

3rdgenhatchDX
04-29-2006, 01:54 PM
I got a new job at midas! 10 hr days thru the week 9 on sat. off on sundays, we've got 2 3g's in there right now, one just got a new carb gasket.
Finally i got my foot in the door! i wanna own my own shop some day, and really own a dyno. hope you guys are happy for me! :D :cheers:

Whistler225
04-29-2006, 02:12 PM
woohoo! so now we all get discounts at Midas, right? ;-)
congrats dude. I want my own shop too, but am going to have to wait until the phone company pays me enough to build my garage.....I won't settle for a crappy steel building. I want to be able to lift an engine out using the overhead beams if I want.....although an engine hoist on wheels is probably better anyway.

lostforawhile
04-29-2006, 02:21 PM
woohoo! so now we all get discounts at Midas, right? ;-)
congrats dude. I want my own shop too, but am going to have to wait until the phone company pays me enough to build my garage.....I won't settle for a crappy steel building. I want to be able to lift an engine out using the overhead beams if I want.....although an engine hoist on wheels is probably better anyway.congrads on the new job thirdgenhatch,as far as the steel buildings,the beams in a commercial steel building are plenty strong for lifting an engine. it would cost a fortune to build a clearspan building for a shop out of wood,think airplane hanger with garage doors. we have an airplane hanging off one of the beams at my job right now,those steel skeletons that hold up those buildings are massive.

Whistler225
04-29-2006, 02:26 PM
yeah, but talking my girlfriend into letting me put one up behind the house is MI4! lol.....although I never thought a regular steel building like what you get at Home Depot would be strong enough....

lostforawhile
04-29-2006, 03:03 PM
yeah, but talking my girlfriend into letting me put one up behind the house is MI4! lol.....although I never thought a regular steel building like what you get at Home Depot would be strong enough....
now something like that won't support it,but you could use an inner steel framework,or to make it much eaisier,use an engine hoist,then you can put it where you want it.

russiankid
04-29-2006, 04:09 PM
yeah, but talking my girlfriend into letting me put one up behind the house is MI4! lol.....although I never thought a regular steel building like what you get at Home Depot would be strong enough....i've seen one of those riding lawnmowers at home depot that were hung off the sealing with some metal wiring, and there was 3 of them in a row. butidk if they had an engine.

Whistler225
04-29-2006, 04:33 PM
huh....well yeah I think I said an engine hoist would be better.....I think when we do build the garage I'll have to get one. Anyway, sorry for hijacking your thread dude....I have a friend who works at Midas....he seems to like it alot. Let us know how it goes!

Nospeed
04-29-2006, 10:51 PM
I got a new job at midas! 10 hr days thru the week 9 on sat. off on sundays, we've got 2 3g's in there right now, one just got a new carb gasket.
Finally i got my foot in the door! i wanna own my own shop some day, and really own a dyno. hope you guys are happy for me! :D :cheers:

facking outstanding! glad to hear you are a productive member of society again! j/k man...good to hear.

i've been toying with the idea of my own shop for a while also...but time will tell i guess.

anyone in the military where they have the "car craft shops"? where you rent a bay and tools n stuff to work on it yourself??? i would like to do that...thats bank right there...just the insurance waivers and stuff that i cant figure out.

deadlight
04-30-2006, 02:42 AM
anyone in the military where they have the "car craft shops"? where you rent a bay and tools n stuff to work on it yourself??? i would like to do that...thats bank right there...just the insurance waivers and stuff that i cant figure out.

Not a bad idea, I can't own a car over here, but I know once I'm back stateside I'd use something like that every chance I get, unless you know somebody living off post, you're fucked if you want to work on your own car.

speedpenguin
04-30-2006, 08:00 AM
Good job, and good luck!

3rdgenhatchDX
05-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Yeah its going good, i'm learning new stuff, i'm just changing oil, stocking parts, and cleaning shop, its a good job, and i don't need many tools that i don't already have. It's dirty, but fun too.

facking outstanding! glad to hear you are a productive member of society again! j/k man...good to hear

well, I used to be a telemarketer, but...who wants to do that?

anybody have any thoughts about what tool company is the best?

AccordRacing21
05-01-2006, 02:29 PM
I like Snap On - specialized tools to make the job you're doing easier with a good waranty.

HostileJava
05-01-2006, 03:11 PM
I use craftsman, but I don't really have anything to compare them to, that's all I've ever used.

speedpenguin
05-01-2006, 05:17 PM
I use craftsman, but I don't really have anything to compare them to, that's all I've ever used.
What with that warranty, there's really no need to compare it to anything else, is there?

HostileJava
05-01-2006, 05:33 PM
What with that warranty, there's really no need to compare it to anything else, is there?

Exactly!

3rdgenhatchDX
05-11-2006, 03:06 PM
mmmmmmmmmk

I've got some bad news, I pulled the hatch in today to rotate my tires, i check the charging system, its all good ! :D good news,........

The bad news is > I need a new driver's side axle, Passenger side hub and bearing, both upper control arms, and both tie rod ends. :help: it's gonna be $$$$

MessyHonda
05-11-2006, 09:45 PM
mmmmmmmmmk
I've got some bad news, I pulled the hatch in today to rotate my tires, i check the charging system, its all good ! :D good news,........
The bad news is > I need a new driver's side axle, Passenger side hub and bearing, both upper control arms, and both tie rod ends. :help: it's gonna be $$$$

not if you have a hook up. i get a discount on Napa auto parts but i dont really like the parts since they suck...but hey i get Net price...my axels were like 98 bucks for the 2 of them.

3rdgenhatchDX
05-16-2006, 08:17 AM
yeah with the discount its still gonna be a bitch. i dunno what discount we get but it seems to be 50% off :D

lostforawhile
05-16-2006, 02:57 PM
i've seen one of those riding lawnmowers at home depot that were hung off the sealing with some metal wiring, and there was 3 of them in a row. butidk if they had an engine.those beams at home depot are massive though,they could probably hang three mack trucks and trailers up there if they wanted too. I work in an aircraft hanger every day and you don't realize how big those beams are until you see them up close. I have one of the cross beams run through my department.

carotman
05-17-2006, 02:09 PM
Well, if you like working on cars, having a job in that particular domain isn't like you have a regular job. You wake up in the mornin doing what you like the most. This is really nice.

I got to find a job in a brewery... next to a garage hehe.

bobafett
05-17-2006, 02:45 PM
personally i use craftsman tools, and 90% of what I own is craftsman. i wouldnt recomend them to someone who will be using them a lot. honestly i would go with snap on, proto or cornwell. its weird that something as simple as a screwdriver or combo wrench could work so much better when its a snap on. my stepdad has all proto/snapon/cornwell etc tools and they are a dream to work with. if i had to wrench all day i would get sick of craftsman in about 1 day. :)

also i dont think the current craftsman line of tools has more than a 1 yr warranty. at least not the stuff i have bought in the last couple years.

(however, starting out, that might be the best bet, spend $500 - $1000 on craftsman just so you have everything you need, and then upgrade to the nice stuff when budget allows)

oh and congrats on the job!

w261w261
05-17-2006, 03:45 PM
Craftsman as a brand has really sunk in the past generation. The steel in Snap-On is a higher quality, so they can use, for instance, thinner walls on their sockets. But the price you pay for Snap-On is huge. So I would agree with the previous message...if you're starting out, buy Craftsman, and then upgrade as you need it. And try not to get into hock to the Snap-On guy...it's almost worse than buying on a credit card.

To me, the defining moment with Craftsman occured a few years ago when I went in to get another 3/8 drive ratchet. Now I know you're not supposed to do this....use your ratchet as a hammer....but hey, shit needs to happen sometimes, and my old ratchet (which I lost, it didn't break) had a few battle scars on it. The new ratchets, all of them, have PLASTIC little levers that change the ratchet direction. PLASTIC fer crissake! After that I kind of abandoned Sears for hand tools.