PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new clutch or worse?

hawaii80
04-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Hi everyone, was wondering if those with experience with an 1986 5-speed manual tranny knows the signs of just needing a new clutch(has abt 75k on this one) or something more worse. Having difficulty shifting, and reverse is grinding sometimes. Had tranny oil changed and was pretty clean. Car was never beat or power shifted. No strange whining /squeeling metal sounds eminiating from it, so hoping its just time for a new clutch kit. Anyone care to take shot at this one?

86AccordLxi
04-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Have you tried adjusting the clutch? Sounds like it's not fully disengaging.

Alex

HondaBoy
04-30-2006, 02:27 PM
not that i have a 5 speed 3gee, but my datsun 280Z is doing much the same as you are describing. i was told by my college instructor that it could be a number of things. worn syncros, incorrect linkage adjustment, slave cylinder needing to be bled. i forget what else. having a good understanding of how all the parts of the clutch assembly work would help you to find your problem if you persue it youself. but your probably not going to college for that. anyway, i'm going to be working on my problem on my datsun soon enough. i'll give you some ideas when i start. you said you had your transmission oil changed right? did the problem start before or after you had this done? because even though it may have looked like the tranny was full, it may have not been completely and that can cause some of the problems you have described. i have a feeling on my datsun that low oil in the tranny could be my problem, but i'm not sure on that because i really havent had the time to do much on it. my problem i have is difficulty shifting into 2nd and reverse. before shifting to reverse i have to shift into 3rd or 4th so it wont grind, even the with clutch completely depressed. i have a feeling it may also be worn out syncros along with other things. also the clutch is probably original on mine, so i dont thing it would be engauged with the pedal pushed all the way down, but i'm probably just going to bleed the slave cylinder to start.

88Accord-DX
04-30-2006, 09:14 PM
Adjust your clutch cable. Tighten it up some with a few turns on the plastic nob close to the tranny case. IF that doesn't help, then more than likely your sycros are going

Edit- also look under your car as someone moves the shifter. Look for play as they move it around. Sometimes the bushings wear out on the shift linkage..

HondaBoy
05-01-2006, 09:40 PM
hmm, maybe some bushings inside my 280Z's tranny are worth. it is 30 years old, but i'd have to open the tranny to that since its a top mount shifter not one with external linkage.

Mars
05-01-2006, 11:24 PM
My 89 5spd grinds in reverse and third sometimes.

I noticed a while back the the shifter linkage bushings on the linkage and the torque rod are bad.

i thought my synchros were going bad, ima try replaceing thos bushings and see if that works.