PDA

View Full Version : High pitched rear brake squeal when cold...

offthahook
04-30-2006, 03:34 PM
I remember when I had my 85 Accord in the day, it had rear brake squeal, too. It's a high pitched grinding sound (shoes and pads are fine), esp. when you first start up. I've heard it is due to aftermarket shoes OR something rubbing and lube needing applied? Is moisture an issue here? Anyone know how I could end this once and for all!? Nothing is being hurt or anything, but man is it annoying. Brakes were just adjusted and work fine. What is dry back there or do I really need OEM shoes? Thanks!

2ndGenGuy
04-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Man, I've had this problem since I've had this car. I think it has to do with a high buildup of brake dust. Every time I take the rear drums off and clean off the components, the sound will go away for a few months. It will then be back. I even had the rear brakes completely redone, new shoes and drums and everything properly lubed. That worked great for about 6 months. My car still does it. My only solution is to take off the drums and clean the crap out of them every few months.

Ichiban
05-03-2006, 10:15 PM
really? i drove across canada for 5800 km each way and never had this problem. i did get a grinding sound when i encountered metal on metal, but i guess i have my drums off often enough to avoid the dust issue.

2ndGenGuy
05-04-2006, 11:49 PM
Yeah I dunno whats up with it. Like offthahook said though, it could be because I never had OEM stuff on the car. I think the problem will be solved with the Prelude discs. :) What year Preludes does this swap work from?

offthahook
05-05-2006, 08:08 AM
I believe 84-87 Ludes rear setup works. The brake squeal goes away quite a bit as the car warms up. If there is any moisture or if it is cold, the squeal is worse and lasts longer...

ghettogeddy
05-05-2006, 08:16 AM
ya u might be able to use some brake quiet they sell it at most auto parts stors but im not sure if u can use it on shoes or just pads

Ichiban
05-05-2006, 12:11 PM
I've been looking out here for 84-87 preludes with disc's and there aren't any. none of the 2gen preludes had them, so in terms of a swap i'm screwed, unless someone wants to sell me the setup so i can actually do it.

2ndGenGuy
05-05-2006, 12:17 PM
I was just at the junkyard a couple days ago and saw a Prelude there with the pop up headlights. Not sure what years are considered 2nd Gen for Preludes, but it was a later one with the pop up lights. It had discs on the rear, I would have snagged them but someone already took the left side one off! The right side was there though, and it was disc.

2ndGenGuy
05-05-2006, 12:21 PM
Ah! Wikipedia to the rescue again. Looks like the car I was looking at was a 3rd gen. They look so similar to the 2nd gen, I wasn't sure what it was considered. Guess I'll keep my eyes peeled for a 2nd gen with disc brakes.