PDA

View Full Version : yippy car started :D just a couple more small problems

A18A
05-01-2006, 01:02 AM
well i finally put the head on, connect up basic things, and it started in less than 2 seconds, no smoke at all (on a cold night in the garage) so the next day i pushed the car outta the garage 2 give it a good run, jump started it and started right away, then a hell of alot of white smoke came outta the exhaust, a cloud about as big as our back lawn came outta there, and a bit outta the engine bay, it smelt like the gasket cement, i heard a few pops from the engine as well, i think that was just gasket cement as well. and i think it was reusing the old oil filter as well? i have no idea, but i started it up yesterday and it ran fine for about 2 minutes then just cut out (coz of no petrol) well i think the car was running fine, i had the idle adjusted and all dat aswelland the accelerator cable has been adjusted aswell.

so im just thinking, would changing the oil filter, oil, fixing the idle and let it run for a good 20 mins get the car running well? i dont really know. also, what is this hose for? is it important? and whats the hose that comes outta that thingy for? cause i lost the hose and the other 1 is so hard 2 access :(
here the pic:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/89accord/ca73f562.jpg

Acid X
05-01-2006, 01:11 AM
Might have installed the gasket wrong...

A18A
05-01-2006, 01:19 AM
how can i install it wrong? o.O well i do think i used a lil bit 2 much gasket cement, i think thats what all the smoke was, i hope so.

i didnt reuse the old head gasket, and i torqued it like the manual said 2

89accordex4dr
05-01-2006, 02:12 AM
that hose look's like it's for the brake booster and do you mean like heaps of white smoke, not like when ya start up in the morning? You might have a warped head.

A18A
05-01-2006, 02:59 AM
well i supose it could be a brake boost o.O would that be why my brakes are so damn hard 2 push down? and i dont think my head is warped, the smoke coming outta the engine was gasket cement evaporating i think. and no, the smoke aint like when u start the car in the morning, it was in the day time when all the smoke came outta the engine, and it smoked out all our back lawn, im hoping it was just gasket cement coz i used a lot of that 2 fill in the gaps of any possible scratches in the head (if any) well thats just what im hoping.

oh and theres another hose that i dont know where it goes, its comming from under the carb sumwere and poking out the top by the valve cover air hose thingy, dunno what that is either

89accordex4dr
05-01-2006, 03:23 AM
yip that the brake booster hose, that's why the brake will hard to push down, does it smell like burnt oil? you probly spill some somwhere and it's burning off and I'm not sure what that other hose is, cause the picture is not clear or closer enuff. is that hose bolted under the intake manafold?

A18A
05-01-2006, 03:56 AM
yip that the brake booster hose, that's why the brake will hard to push down, does it smell like burnt oil? you probly spill some somwhere and it's burning off and I'm not sure what that other hose is, cause the picture is not clear or closer enuff. is that hose bolted under the intake manafold?
its this hose here:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/89accord/40c66969.jpg
just wondering if thats important, it's a bitch 2 access

and im pretty damn sure it was the gasket cement that caused all the smoke, thats what im hoping anyways.

and were abouts does that brake booster hose go 2? i forget :( i dont think i would have taken that hose out if it didnt go to the head somewhere, i lost it 2, and the 1 on the other car is split :@. and i also forgot were the cruise control hosees go to :S

and i thought i could just remember it all lol, at least the car runs though

89accordex4dr
05-01-2006, 04:13 AM
That a fi manafold isnt it? I thought you are carby? any way there should be a black box under the manafold bolted to the block and a peice of plastic pipe going into manafold and is a boitch to get at.if I'm right that pipe is important. The booster hose goes into the back of the carby in my car

A18A
05-01-2006, 04:21 AM
yeah that is a fi, but i got the same hose in my carb. and by the sounds of it that is the hose im talking about, any idea why its important? does it pump any liquid in it? and thanks 4 the help about thebooster hose :)

89accordex4dr
05-01-2006, 04:31 AM
I'm not sure why it's important, I think it has somthing to do with the oil evaperating and recycling the fume's , sombody correct me if I'm wrong, lol.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
05-01-2006, 09:19 AM
That hose is part of the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system. The various gases that collect in the crankcase travel through the condensation box (where oil is separated) and up through that tube. This tube can cause a massive vacuum leak because it connects to the intake manifold through the PCV valve. Similarly, the brake booster hose will cause a very large leak if disconnected. This would explains why the car didn't run for very long. I don't think Honda recommends using gasket cement on the A20A headgasket. Not sure what the effects might be. Hope this helps.

88Accord-DX
05-02-2006, 05:15 PM
how can i install it wrong? o.O well i do think i used a lil bit 2 much gasket cement, i think thats what all the smoke was, i hope so.
You don't use gasket cement on the head gasket. I doubt it will hold out for a long time. Does the car still run?

Immeraufdemhund
05-02-2006, 06:00 PM
i reused my old head gasket, the car had 310,000 miles and now it's at 323,000 miles... so u can re use it...it's just highly not recommended. I have never seen a car yet (though i know some are out their) that you replace the head gasket and dont let it warm up to normal operating tempurature. I know it's tempting to get it fired up, but it's dumb. wait untill you have everything on get your radiator ready to bleed and turn it on, let it warm up with hot air on and get out all the bubles....

as for the stuff on the gasket surface. Just clean the head and the block really good and you will not have a problem out of it at all. double check it all.

A18A
05-08-2006, 03:09 PM
yesterday i started it up and got it to warm tempature (been running for about 15 mins) and the cooling fan didnt come on :S is something wrong there? and then it started smoking a bit which was kinda wierd, i turned it off and let it cool down, then i started it back up and a bit of smoke came out and then stopped, but if u put ur hand by the exhaust u can feel it's pressure more than my dads car :S
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/89accord/ac599692.jpg

and also my PS is playing up a lil bit, i found a broken hose under the car going into one of those rubber things, is that causing it?

oh yeah, and this is a bit high for the temp right? i tightened all the water hoses properly and i think it stopped (i hope)
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/89accord/a3c2b5ac.jpg

oh 1 more thing, wats that brake lamp light for? its always on

88Accord-DX
05-09-2006, 08:36 PM
To test your fan system operation. Take the temperature coolant sensor off on the bottom of the radiator. Get a jumper wire & jump the sensor with #14 gauge wire to see if you fans kick on. If they do, your fans are ok. If they don't, more than likely your coolant temperature sensor is bad on the bottom of the radiator, or your fan motor is bad. Make sure your relay is good on the fuse block.

Edit- Here is add on to this post.

Fan motor test

Disconnect fan motor wire connector and connect it with 14 gauge wire to a 12-volt battery. If fan runs, motor is ok. This indicates car battery, thermal switch, radiator fan switch, coolant relay, timer relay, coolant temperature switch, or A/C relay may be defective. If the fan motor doesn't run when connected to a battery, replace the fan motor.

Temperature Switch Test

On all models, the radiator fan timer/temperature switch is located on the top of the motor, near upper radiator hose. Switch should have continuity when coolant temperature is 226 degrees F or more.
On A/C equipped models, the radiator fan temperature switch is located in the lower radiator tank. Switch should have continuity when the temperature is 194 degrees F or more.

2oodoor
08-14-2006, 07:42 AM
i reused my old head gasket, the car had 310,000 miles and now it's at 323,000 miles... so u can re use it...it's just highly not recommended. I have never seen a car yet (though i know some are out their) that you replace the head gasket and dont let it warm up to normal operating tempurature. I know it's tempting to get it fired up, but it's dumb. wait untill you have everything on get your radiator ready to bleed and turn it on, let it warm up with hot air on and get out all the bubles....

as for the stuff on the gasket surface. Just clean the head and the block really good and you will not have a problem out of it at all. double check it all.
I HAVE NEVER heard of anybody re-using a head gasket, esp reusing one with success. I use permatex hi-tack just to hold gasket in place.
Is is possible to install A20 head gasket upside down and it not be obvious as hell?
Also all specs say 48 ft lbs torque on head, what about 50?
AND Overdosed, did you ever get it squared away running good?

Cheeseburger
08-14-2006, 08:03 AM
so who helps u out man? do u do all the work urself

2oodoor
08-14-2006, 08:50 AM
so who helps u out man? do u do all the work urself
who?
I C U

Cheeseburger
08-14-2006, 09:16 AM
i was talking to Overdosed A18A lol...

A18A
08-14-2006, 01:50 PM
i do most of the work on my car by myself as most people refuse to help me cause they might get oil on there hands :slap: i usually go grab a buddy of mine if i need help, usually heavy work as im a just a lil weak kid lol. at least he dont mind helping :) he helped me position the head back on the car as i was only strong enough to lift it into the engine bay lol. he a good friend indeed :D hes like my little alph, he the 1 who pushes my car http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/89accord/?action=view&current=a8b8134d.flv

I HAVE NEVER heard of anybody re-using a head gasket, esp reusing one with success. I use permatex hi-tack just to hold gasket in place.
Is is possible to install A20 head gasket upside down and it not be obvious as hell?
Also all specs say 48 ft lbs torque on head, what about 50?
AND Overdosed, did you ever get it squared away running good?
lol my dad used a old head gasket on the van in the back of our yard, thats prolly why its there :P nah it just decided not to start one day down at mcdonalds so we just left it there and towed it home next day. anyways.

i also dont think its possible to install a gasket upside down, im 98% sure its idiot proof. after a few days of starting it up the smoke started to die down. i also couldnt help but start the car with the exhaust manifold disconnected... at night hehehehehhe. well now it apears to be running good-ish, cold starts make it run shittier than our lawnmower. but when it's warm, it runs pretty good. I tightened my head bolts to 48lbs but my dad said he thought he spotted a leak when we were adjusting the timing.(it was just gasket cement evaporation lol) so i did tighten the bolts to 50lbs hehe. and we also have had the timing like 8 teeth opisite ways i think. now its just retarded a bit. but it runs goodish just evryone is scared to drive it cause it was a hori kid like me that fixed it. only person that drives it is my sister. at least when we take it for drives, we dont end up opening the bonnet hahahahaa. well there is still a problem, it just guzzles petrol like homer does duff beer. and this is the only thing i could find close to a leak:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/89accord/c27f456c.jpg
just gotta get a piece of rubber or something and cut it out to replace that. so what goes through that? does the tempature get hot there?

A18A
08-15-2006, 06:06 AM
well today (finally) i got around to replacing that broken gasket thingy, i took that black box thingy off (not the 1 with the 200 hoses comming out) i tried to peel the gasket off, turned out to be plastic glued to it, it snapped right away and left a lump on the box thingy.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/89accord/e060da06.jpg

lucky i have the other car :D i just took the whole box, but this gasket was rubber instead of plastic :huh: well its on nice and tight now. :D
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/89accord/15d6272c.jpg
looks so perfect dont it :)

also replaced the pcv valve, it just wasnt sitting in the hose thingy properly no matter how hard i pushed it in. so i took the 1 off the other intake, and found out it was plastic, and this 1 was metal. weird. anyways its in nice and tight :D and i dont think this really fixed the problem, but the car started first turn, fumes didnt kill me, and it was alot more responsive while cold. weird, but im happy :D. its alot quiter than my dads car too so that just goes to show that its improving :) or his car is shitting itself out

what is that box anyways?

and my cool drawing in paint (randomness)
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/89accord/4833d688.jpg
would also be funny with it up aswell hehe

frantik
08-15-2006, 06:21 AM
you should install just the one flip up like that :lol:

your car reminds me a lot of this legend that parks nearby.. it's white and it's got body matched mirrors.. i was looking at them and wondering if they're they'd bolt on.. if so chances are you have the same mirrors. they have a nicer shape though i think with my car they'd look better black than body matched

A18A
08-15-2006, 06:38 AM
lol would be funny to have 1 pop-up :P

what year is the legend? same model as this 1?:
http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/28/22860228_full.jpg
or like this 1?
http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/79/23283079_full.jpg
i find the legend has always looked like a luxury car, i wuite like them. they also look pretty much the same as the Accord inspire

they look like they fit, if there not flush with the door well then yeah.. still would be easy to make fit lol. i doubt there the same mirrors though.

im taking these mirrors off though and the switch lol, and chuck them other ones on hehe. i like folding mirrors :) that way they dont end up like my dads

2oodoor
08-17-2006, 03:39 AM
i was talking to Overdosed A18A lol...
Sorry cheese, I was trippin...

Cheeseburger
08-17-2006, 07:18 AM
its ok...no worries