PDA

View Full Version : Car Insurance Coverage

SteveDX89
05-02-2006, 03:06 AM
I'm trying to a feeler for what some of you guys have for insurance coverage on your cars. I just finished rebuilding the bottom end on my engine and will probably be driving it daily again to get it broken in. I have insurance but currently there's no comprehensive or collision insurance on it. Basically if I get in an accident with it or it's stolen, I'm screwed. I had comprehensive on it previously but I took it off insurance for the winter and now they won't put it back on unless they visually inspect the car. I guess to check for any existing damage, etc. I'm just wondering if you think it's worth the extra money per month to have comprehensive and/or collision on the car. Keep in mind the mods I have. If you don't know what they are, click the pic in my sig for my cardomain account. I'm mainly asking the guys with extensive mods such as swaps, turbo builds, or extensive body and paint mods but all input is welcome.

w261w261
05-02-2006, 04:31 AM
Unless you have stated value coverage (which my carrier, Travelers does not offer), you're not going to get more than "the book" for any problem, which translates to a little more than a grand. Doesn't matter how much you have into it. I do have comprehensive on a cherry SE-i, and when a truck tried to take off my left front last year the adjuster said if I collected more than $1550 he'd have to total it, which meant a salvage title. And, he was impressed with the car. I keep the comprehensive coverage mainly to get the glass replacement (no deductible). My window glass is bronze-tinted, and has to be ordered from Honda ($600 windshield).

88LXi68
05-02-2006, 05:25 AM
I have comprehensive on my cars, but when I store my LX-i for winter I keep comprehensive at a discounted rate because it is not on the road. I thought about collision for my LXi but I figured I could find another 3g in decent shape if I needed to.

Also, look into an insurance that offers "compensation for custom parts" because I think that would be a better bang for your buck than collision itself.

speedpenguin
05-02-2006, 06:23 AM
Don't get minimal unless
a) You're worried about a salvage title
b) Your car is as shitty as mine is (Mine's pretty shitty)

MessyHonda
05-02-2006, 06:43 AM
i just got regular liability...im got it when i was 17 and my insurance is 1300 a year. i should go talk to them b4 i start investing heavy money on my car. thanks for the tip

3gn86lxi
05-02-2006, 07:01 AM
Only thing special I have on my policy is uninsured driver. So if an ass with no insurance hits me I'm covered.
And Farmers (who I'm with) offers additional coverage for custom stuff like wheels, stereo's ect. for $1 per $100 of additional coverage.
Some insurance companys won't write a "full" coverage plan for a car as old as ours.

detroit313
05-02-2006, 07:20 AM
Damn! you motherfuckers are paying big loot for insurance.
i got the basic BS no fault (Michigan insurance) and im paying about $35 month! do you guys have a fucked up driving records or something with tons of points?
im paying a little over $400 a year................

SteveDX89
05-02-2006, 08:31 AM
Don't get minimal unless
a) You're worried about a salvage title
b) Your car is as shitty as mine is (Mine's pretty shitty)

Bitch, you've seen my car. :D

Well, I have Geico insurance and I didn't see anything on their site about custom parts coverage. When I first got insurance through them, I sent a form in with all the stuff on the car and it didn't change my rate. Maybe I should call them and find out more about it. Or maybe that's why they need a visual inspection to put comprehensive back on it. I checked custom parts when I put the car back on. But it was just generic, it never asked what parts were custom. Maybe that's why they asked for the inspection.

speedpenguin
05-02-2006, 08:50 AM
Bitch, you've seen my car. :D
Well, I have Geico insurance and I didn't see anything on their site about custom parts coverage. When I first got insurance through them, I sent a form in with all the stuff on the car and it didn't change my rate. Maybe I should call them and find out more about it. Or maybe that's why they need a visual inspection to put comprehensive back on it. I checked custom parts when I put the car back on. But it was just generic, it never asked what parts were custom. Maybe that's why they asked for the inspection.
I know...
Just letting you decide for yourself. You've seen my old car too? Well my 3G isn't much better.

SteveDX89
05-02-2006, 09:13 AM
I know...
Just letting you decide for yourself. You've seen my old car too? Well my 3G isn't much better.

I saw the old ass Corolla I think it was.

speedpenguin
05-02-2006, 09:16 AM
Tercel, baby :rockon:
I miss that thing.

HostileJava
05-02-2006, 10:57 AM
Right now I only have parked coverage on it. It just covers vandalism and if say my garage were to fall on it. When it was on the road I only had the minimum on it though. I figure what you pay into insurance you could easily just put aside yourself and put into the car if somthing ever happens. Not that I ever actually put the money aside. But I just never saw it being worth it.

Mike89Accordcom
05-02-2006, 11:09 AM
I always had the minimum. It was never worth full imo, it was if you got in a bad accident, but you can go years and years without one.