PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump

tay_ang
05-03-2006, 05:22 PM
what is the easiest way to figure out wether your fuel pump is still good or not. Just take out the back seat and listen?

If i have to take out the back seat what is the easiest way. (88 lx)

MessyHonda
05-03-2006, 05:49 PM
first of all the fuel pump is not under the seat. its in the trunk. its on the driver side cover. since its not fuel injection you cant put a guage on it since its only like 3-3.5 psi. i took off the fuel line from the secondary filter in the engine bay and i put a cup and i just turned the key till the lights light up the pump should kick in. if nothing come out then your pump is bad.

Accordaone
05-03-2006, 06:05 PM
I assume your LX is a 4 door. The back rest of the back seat has a lock on the back sill. Unlock it, drop the back cushion, and there are two covered portholes. The pump is under the driver's side one. I replaced mine on a hunch and cured starting and idling problems. The screen was full of muck-cleaning it may have worked, also. After almost twenty years, a new pump was worth it. Good luck.

88accordlxcarb
05-04-2006, 10:20 AM
I had to replace mine back last summer.

If you have the factory repair manual there are methods listed to tell if it is bad or not.

Before you tackle taking it out of the trunk, take the intake hose off the carb(its on the right side), stick a measuring cup inside the hose.

Now you're going to have to go under the dash and remove a sensor. It's not hard, and you have to jump two sides of it so your fuel pump runs. Then turn your engine on for one minute and see how much flows out. It should be close to the specs in the book. Mine was not, and when i took it out of the back, boom i found out why. The filter was black, and i couldnt even blow air through it.

You really need the book to be able to do this method of testing. If it is just running rough, have you changed your fuel filters, or done any other repairs to the air/fuel system? Of course if you pump isnt working at all, its not that hard to find out using the cup method...

Best of luck.

tay_ang
05-04-2006, 12:50 PM
I changed my pcv valve and my filters, and today i took my pump out just to look at it an it looks alright. If i turn my key so the lights turn on should it make a sound for a couple of seconds or no?
Loud enough for one of my friends to hear it if they are right beside it.

88accordlxcarb
05-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Yes it should make a slight hum when its turned on.

Just take off the intake hose that goes into the carb. It's under the black air filter box(take it off), its red, pull it off and stick it in a cup, turn your key to ON and a bit of gas should come out and you should hear it.