PDA

View Full Version : holley 4160 carb

lostforawhile
05-04-2006, 04:35 PM
who on here has done a holley conversion? I wanted to go with the webber,but it's so much eaisier to find holley tuning parts,accessories,and info then webber. you can go to the auto parts store for a holley part I was looking at the four barrel 4160 carb,its a small four barrel and it's only 390 cfm. It looks like it would be relativly easy to adapt a four into two adaptor over to one of these manifolds. these carbs were originally made for v6s and used in pairs on v8s,I looked at the holley two barrel,but it's really stripped down and almost the same price,no choke,vaccume connections etc. the 4160 has the electric choke,ports for the vaccume advance etc. this carb is closer to running two two barrels. does anyone know the combined cfm of the webber dual setup? this might be a little two much carb for a 1.5 civic but having the bigger motor i think it would work. it's pretty common to have v6s close to 2.0 litre. any info would be helpful,also does anyone know the HGs that the vaccume secondaries on our carb start to open and what they are on this holley carb? they make secondary spring kits to change it,but wondering

A20A1
05-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Thats why i wanted the eddelbrock because the AVS series is supposed to be easier to fine tune the secondaries.

It comes in 500cfm though.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37554

thats some off the info I gathered... I still need to finish alumaloying the manifold. If you want to take it off me let me know, I'm not sure when I'll get my car running again and get a 4bbl tuned.
I already went back to the EFI cam and Carb Head combo, I traded my colt grind in order to start from scratch to help get a 4bbl running.

lostforawhile
05-06-2006, 02:18 PM
wel there are kits available on the holley to make it possible to change jets with the fuel bowl in place,I just like the wealth of knowledge available on the holley. I think the 390 cfm is better suited to this engine. I'm joing to use a four into two adaptor plate,I need to do some tig welding on it so i can keep the divided plenum like factory. other then that it's changing stud locations.

A20A1
05-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Does the 4160 use intake manifold vacuum or venturi vacuum.

Ours was venturi so tighter spring would open later.

But if it was manifold vacuum then a lighter spring would open later.

lostforawhile
05-06-2006, 07:15 PM
i'm not sure what vaccume source it uses,eithier way I can compensate for it,with the bigger carb I would probably set it to mostly run on the front barrels,and use the secondaries for wide open throttle. I need to contact holley with a list of technical questions yet. this particular carb also uses a metering plate without jets for the secondaries,I can't remember exactly how it works off the top of my head but i know it can be adjsuted. http://www.holley.com/data/products/pictures/large0-8007.jpg

A20A1
05-06-2006, 09:46 PM
LC ENGINEERING sells a modified 4bbl for the 2.2 liter toyota there may be one for the 2.0 liter in there. but both are 4 cylinders.

Oldblueaccord
05-06-2006, 11:33 PM
i'm not sure what vaccume source it uses,eithier way I can compensate for it,with the bigger carb I would probably set it to mostly run on the front barrels,and use the secondaries for wide open throttle. I need to contact holley with a list of technical questions yet. this particular carb also uses a metering plate without jets for the secondaries,I can't remember exactly how it works off the top of my head but i know it can be adjsuted. http://www.holley.com/data/products/pictures/large0-8007.jpg

Metering plates can not be adjusted is what you mean. But you can change it over the the regular plates and use jet like a regular holley does. Just cost more so they cut it on there lower end carbs.

wp

A20A1
05-07-2006, 09:23 AM
The divider inside the plunum reaches a bit further then what is visable so you can open up the ports on the manifold some and still have the wall there.

A20A1
05-07-2006, 08:13 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/car%20stuffs/offymanifoldtop.jpg

here is a 4bbl offy manifold for the 22r

It uses smaller square inch runners for the primary... but the lenghts are the same for both.

lostforawhile
05-08-2006, 01:48 AM
LC ENGINEERING sells a modified 4bbl for the 2.2 liter toyota there may be one for the 2.0 liter in there. but both are 4 cylinders.any way too contact them? found this really good deal on the rebuild factory carb for 208 dollars with a lifetime warranty,so for the moment i'm going to use that,but i'm going to keep working on this four barrel too. since I have the extra manifold. that one calibrated for the 2.2 should work just fine,that .2 litre is not going to have a huge affect on the characteristics of the carb. I used to run the carbs calibrated for the 1.8 litre accords on my 1.5 civics all the time,worked just fine. easy performance upgrade and all the vaccume crap hooked up as well.

Oldblueaccord
05-08-2006, 10:30 PM
http://www.moparts.com/Tech/Archive/fuel/6.html

spurious Holley info. Took me only 2 days to find this chart.

wp

A20A1
05-09-2006, 11:21 AM
I remember learning about the effects of an air cleaner a few years back.
I'm glad they added that in there.
"NOTE: All data taken without an aircleaner. An air cleaner will cause an earlier opening in all cases. Value subject to change with cleaner restrictions."
The CID of the motor knocks off a few hundred rpm
I think if we had to we could change the mechanical advantage of the linkage on the secondary instead of messing with the spring values all the time, it would also allow the throttle to be fully open if we wanted it to be, but it would mean the rate of the secondary opening would be rather quick. Or open later and have a slower opening, but never reach WOT... . Though having it fully open when it shouldn't be defeats the purpose of having a vacuum secondary, I still think that messing with the linkage can help if you run out of spring options.

Oldblueaccord
05-09-2006, 12:48 PM
you can

its what we call a "redneck" double pumper. The vacuum secondary carbs are cheaper and then people modifiy the linkage I think with just a screw to jam it to open when they want to. Nothing wrong with that. But it wont run like a real mecahnical carb.

A true "double pumper" carb. A holley 750 cfm mechanical. has rear accel pumps,is duel feed,can be jetted in the rear plus a few other things.

You can get the number off the rear plate and correlate it to a holley jet size. I think there sending them out around 78 or 80's.

wp