PDA

View Full Version : Adjusted Rear Brakes

HondaBoy
05-05-2006, 06:34 PM
ok, well as long as i've had the car and also when my mom drove the car for about 5 years the parking brake has never really worked. i could yank it up all the way and it would barely grab, not enough to hold the car on an incline. anyway, since taking my brakes class i've learned pretty much everything there is to know about brakes. so today i decided to take some time and just do it since i've really just put it off. both rear brakes were way out of adjustment. i didnt count how many times i had to turn the star nut thing, but it was a bunch. i noticed my right wheel cylinder is starting to leak too so thats gonna get replaced when i have a chance. anyway, now the parking brake handle pulls up about 3 clicks like new. also, no more low pedal and braking is better. doesnt feel like all the braking is in the front, more ballanced now. when adjusting the rear brakes, make sure when you put the drum back on that you check for a bit of drag when you spin it. not too much but just a bit. anyway, fixed that little problem.

mkymonkey
05-05-2006, 06:59 PM
ok so how would i adjust my rears if i have disks?

88Accord-DX
05-05-2006, 07:07 PM
ok so how would i adjust my rears if i have disks?
Most disc brakes have small brake shoes on the inside of the rotor. (that is rear rotors). Some have star nut adjusters, some don't to adjust the parking brake.

Strugglebucket
05-05-2006, 08:15 PM
just pop the cover off behind your e-brake and adjust the thingy.

Oldblueaccord
05-05-2006, 09:53 PM
ok, well as long as i've had the car and also when my mom drove the car for about 5 years the parking brake has never really worked. i could yank it up all the way and it would barely grab, not enough to hold the car on an incline. anyway, since taking my brakes class i've learned pretty much everything there is to know about brakes. so today i decided to take some time and just do it since i've really just put it off. both rear brakes were way out of adjustment. i didnt count how many times i had to turn the star nut thing, but it was a bunch. i noticed my right wheel cylinder is starting to leak too so thats gonna get replaced when i have a chance. anyway, now the parking brake handle pulls up about 3 clicks like new. also, no more low pedal and braking is better. doesnt feel like all the braking is in the front, more ballanced now. when adjusting the rear brakes, make sure when you put the drum back on that you check for a bit of drag when you spin it. not too much but just a bit. anyway, fixed that little problem.

Yeah I have tried several times to tell people about it but they never listen. I adjust mine everytime i do the oil change. It really makes a differance on brake feel. I think when they do get really low is mess's with the proportional valving as well like you said.

I love the one's that say stuff like " yeah i got 150k miles on my rear brakes how about that" when you know the rear shoes haven't touch the drum since 50k .

wp

HondaBoy
05-05-2006, 11:04 PM
adjusting them at on the parking brake cable isnt the correct way to do them. most times on honda's with rear disks, they use the disk brake as the parking brake, not an inner drum type like a lot of newer chevy's have. i dont think there is really any adjustment on the disk setup but i'll check into that, being most cars have disk/drum setup so i havent really worked with too many that werent.

mkymonkey
05-05-2006, 11:26 PM
well im asking so i know how to do it when i install my rear disk brakes. im just curious

HondaBoy
05-06-2006, 01:26 AM
oic, well i will check into that for you. i had actually wanted to know that myself for our '02 accord that has disks all around. its got 40000 miles on it now. the parking brake works great and will lock up when pulled even while driving. i havent seen too many disk parking brakes needing adjustment though, still it would be nice to know what, if any adjustment is needed for them in the case they need it. i also want to do a rear disk setup on my 3gee but i dont think i'm going to have luck finding parts for it. i'd need the rear nuckle thingy, pretty much rear fork suspension piece and then the master cylinder. now i know what i'm doing on brakes it wouldnt be all that hard if i do find the stuff to do it.

Strugglebucket
05-08-2006, 03:13 PM
there isn't anything to adjust on the rear disk brakes, because they're disk brakes. there aren't any return springs like on drums. the caliper just lets the pads rest against the rotor. that's why your brake fluid reservior gets lower as the pads wear because more fluid stays in the piston. it's fine to adjust the e-brake cable to get it to engage where you want it to but it's not going to effect your pedal height and feel like with the drums.

HondaBoy
05-09-2006, 01:36 PM
thats true. i couldnt find anything on adjustment of rear disk brakes on this car, some do have it but not any hondas i've checked on. if your parking brake cable is stetched, then i suppose you could adjust it, or just replace it would be best. mine now when pulling up on the handle goes 1 click, with a bit more effort it'll go 3 or 4 clicks. holds on an incline and increased braking capability. i love how the brakes feel now.