PDA

View Full Version : Performance Ignition

sinisterfuzzy
05-06-2006, 04:00 PM
what exactly do you get from a performance ignition? and what kind of set-up should I get if my other mods are
Weber 38
Header and full aftermarket exhaust
Tri-Flow regrind
port and polish
new clutch/flywheel/pressure plate

gfrg88
05-06-2006, 04:28 PM
it will just smooth out the idle and have a smoother revs, thats about it. next time try looking it up, this has been ask hundreds of times

AccordEpicenter
05-06-2006, 05:18 PM
it will just smooth out the idle and have a smoother revs, thats about it. next time try looking it up, this has been ask hundreds of times

Thats about it, if youre looking for a performance gain invest elsewhere. My ignition system is totally stock except for the MSD BTM, but that just messes with the timing. Stock ignitions arent really that bad

Kabuki
05-06-2006, 09:20 PM
STock ignitions do greatfor anything roughly stock or mildly built. Unless you are running high pressure turbo or nitrous, the stock system will do great for you.

Vanilla Sky
05-06-2006, 10:36 PM
the only time i'd replace the stock unit is when i absolutely needed the extra timing control that you'd get with non-OEM. things like massive boost levels, high compression, or high revs. when i do feel the need to upgrade, it will probably be with a ford based system.

speedpenguin
05-07-2006, 05:33 AM
However, if you haven't replaced the stock ignition since the car was new, getting a new stock unit will do good things for you.

MessyHonda
05-07-2006, 07:07 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Accel-Universal-Super-Coil-45-000-Volts-Part-140001_W0QQitemZ8059289433QQcategoryZ33689QQssPage NameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
i was planing on geting one of these for my car. my friend will sell me his for 20 bucks. what would it do to my car? better spark? and how does it compare to MSD set up? thanks guys

AccordEpicenter
05-07-2006, 07:52 AM
i smoked one in like 2 days, some other guys had good results with them though

rjudgey
05-07-2006, 12:45 PM
Quality leads, resistor less plugs, new rotor and cap good for 200bhp mines still stock and it's the older system on 2G carbed ludes with an inferior coil. 3G accords have better coils like the SI 2g ludes. As the others have said unless high CR ratio's or Turbo stick with stock or if you really want to go for it the Crank fired setups their the best more accuracy and can be done with DIY kits or full on aftermarket from Electromotive or similar.

A20A1
05-07-2006, 10:50 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Accel-Universal-Super-Coil-45-000-Volts-Part-140001_W0QQitemZ8059289433QQcategoryZ33689QQssPage NameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
i was planing on geting one of these for my car. my friend will sell me his for 20 bucks. what would it do to my car? better spark? and how does it compare to MSD set up? thanks guys

I use that, I thought it helped smooth out my idle and the car still ran well even though it was pretty rich.

When I was looking for a coil it was either that Accel in the link or the MSD blaster SS. I plan to swap over the accel into my corolla instead of using the internal coil.

The other cannister style coils I've tried from MSD and ACCEL are both the same in my opinion and are not really worth it over stock.

Anyways I think you might consider putting your money elsewhere, but if you can get one cheap then go for it.

crazykamper
05-08-2006, 03:36 PM
did the car start running rich AFTER you did it? or was it previously running rich. im a high revving person, so im thinking of getting ignition/coil/ect.... thanks!

Kabuki
05-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Quality leads, resistor less plugs, new rotor and cap good for 200bhp mines still stock and it's the older system on 2G carbed ludes with an inferior coil. 3G accords have better coils like the SI 2g ludes. As the others have said unless high CR ratio's or Turbo stick with stock or if you really want to go for it the Crank fired setups their the best more accuracy and can be done with DIY kits or full on aftermarket from Electromotive or similar.

Bull. Don't use resistorless plugs unless you want to burn out your coil and igniter. Stick with the stock NGK or Densor plugs, NGK, Sumitomo, or Magnacore wires, and stock coil. Don't fuck with what Honda spent more money researching than most of us make in a 10 years. The reason there are resistors in the plugs and resistance in the wires is for maximum power transfer. The impedance must be matched for all of the components to transfer as much currecnt at the highest voltage possible.

A20A1
05-09-2006, 11:38 AM
The resistance also helps give a longer spark durration.

rjudgey
05-10-2006, 03:09 AM
Well thats one opinion but i've done 7 years of research on what makes my car go faster and considering i've got one of the most powerfull engines N/A i'll stick to what i know works, I get significant gains from running them and i use Hot Wires modules as well with them, i'm more interested in performance than burning out the coil and module as it happens these have all been fine for best part of 2 years anyway!! And i have plenty spare and when i run out i'll do a ignition crank fired custom setup instead.

speedpenguin
05-10-2006, 03:51 AM
You guys arguing for stock ignition systems are forgetting that once you start heavily tuning the engine all bets are off. If you don't have any bigger mods to your engine than a camshaft or maybe a P&P, stick with stock. I don't know if resistorless wires and stuff will hurt you or not but it won't really help much.

If you start building a race-tuned engine, you'll want a racing ignition system to go with it. It's a well-known fact among road racers to use resistorless wires and upgraded components.

Cant Stop
05-12-2006, 07:14 PM
someone said that if you still have the stock coil to go ahead and replace it?, with a new oem.

good advice? not really modded up.

speedpenguin
05-13-2006, 10:48 AM
I said that, and yes, if you have the same coil that came with the car when it was new, you'll benefit from a new one.

snoopyloopy
05-13-2006, 03:22 PM
so should i stick on my accel coil that i got or just forgo it and stick w/ the stock? and how do the emissions people like it when they pop your hood and see a coil there?

A20A1
05-13-2006, 03:27 PM
You could hide the coil if its a small one... you could even put it in the car and use the MSD firewall plug thingy to pass it thru the firewall safely.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&catalogIdentifier=&categoryId=17383&parentCategoryId=11559
The only trouble is the wire would be longer.

snoopyloopy
05-13-2006, 03:46 PM
so i take the emissions folk don't like seeing them?

gfrg88
05-13-2006, 05:58 PM
paint it flat black ;)