PDA

View Full Version : More Problems !HELP!

dalinxz
05-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Ok well more and more problems just come up first thing is the lower ball joint in the front which isnt a big deal, second thing is the Wheel Cylinder in the back wheel which had to be changed. To get on topic today by Rear Upper Control Arm Broke off i had to keep jacking up the car and putting it back in and driving it 30 meters before it would come out again. So my question is is there any way to take it out, its extremely rusted, the boot ripped which was the only thing holding it together. I have to change it but the entire thing is rusted including the bolt, so it just looks like a rusted circle, i tried chipping at it but its all rusted so the minute you try touching it it just cuts right off, now its completely gone, i tried a hammer and it wont come out so any advice and what will i have to change? the whole rear upper control arm or just the ball joint im guessing the whole rear control arm. Thanks for reading any help would be help.

vongiese
05-07-2006, 08:35 PM
try using a small grinder on the nut and stud of the rear balljoint. you'll have to grind a little into the edge of the upper arm but just a nick or 2. grind the a flat side on the nut you can get at with a hammer and chisel and it should come apart. Use the manual that you can get from links on this site to remove the rest of it - pretty simple.
good luck

88Accord-DX
05-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Hard to say, if you had a pic to look at. Sure I seen it, done it.

dalinxz
05-07-2006, 09:16 PM
Ill get a pic tommorrow car is at my uncles right now Im going to be changing both sides, i hope the parts arent too much he can get the parts at the wholesale cost so im hoping theyre cheap. I will get the picture tommorrow but I can tell you its relly bad its like the nut turned into a triangle that fades like this one actually looks just like it but worse

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid115/paefc09c9d14d98d3071230af09a28f5c/f8c8cdd2.jpg

truetune
05-08-2006, 03:32 AM
attack it with a dremal, thats my thought. I would buy new rear upper control arms for both sides. I purchased some for like $84 through www.autopartsplace.com I find they have fair prices for some parts.

smufguy
05-08-2006, 01:22 PM
http://replacement.autopartswarehouse.com/parts/autopartswarehouse/quote.jsp?year=1989&product=L2000-36778&application=000263691&part=Control%20Arm&dp=true

its only 45 bux so check it out

dalinxz
05-08-2006, 04:01 PM
ended up asking my uncle to get them so here are the prices of the parts in CAD$

2 Upper Control Arm - $45 each
1 Wheel Cylinder - $17
1 Lower Ball Joint - $25
=$132+TAX= $151.xx
So lets say about a $150 repair thank god i thought it woule be more than $250, Makes me feel a bit more at ease, now if anybody can recommend any other methods to take off this nut so i can remove the ball joint.

dalinxz
05-09-2006, 08:28 PM
Ok cool just finished changing both control arms, you should have seen how bad it was ill get pictures tommorrow, the second one was so bad too it would have gone next, i tore open the boot and it just slid out.:chainsaw: anyways if anyone needs to know how i got the rusted sucker out was as such, i took a dremel tool and my uncle cut a box around it so the nut just stuck there and just popped out with a flat screwdriver and a hummer popped it out, after alot of sparks it was changed and took maybe 30 minutes.