PDA

View Full Version : Opportunity or am i just getting exited over nothing?

Vector
05-07-2006, 06:18 PM
While i was at Kelowna Corvette Club autocross today in vernon bc, i was able to talk to some other people that were racing as well, one in particular that asked me if i wanted to buy his stock h23(non vtec) out of a 92 lude with tranny, cv axels, ecu, and wiring for around 1000 bucks (i'm sure i could get the price down more).

so what ya guys think, i have the resources/tools to pretty much do it, just need to find the time, and if its not worth it, then i dont want to waste time.

thanks for your time

snoopyloopy
05-07-2006, 07:40 PM
if you have the resources and know-how to do the custom fabbing, then go for it. even though it's non-vtec, i hear it is possible to swap the h22 head onto them, thus giving it vtec. however, i hear that the h23 also stands up to boost better than the h22. it's a nice deal on the price, and if you get it lower, would be even better. being a 92, you'd only have to convert to obd-i, so you have that going for you as well. check out www.preludepower.com on their forum to see what the latest trends are with the h23. good luck!

speedpenguin
05-08-2006, 03:51 AM
What's the quality?
I wouldn't pay $1K for an engine that wasn't in extremely good condition unless it had VTEC.

Vector
05-08-2006, 07:35 AM
the way i see it, i would rather put 1k into a engine thats 160hp rather than 1k into my a20 and blow it up.

h23 has maybe 100k on it

SteveDX89
05-08-2006, 08:12 AM
Search for H22 swaps here. It's the same kind of swap. Uses the same mounts, shift linkage, and axles as an H22 swap.

HondaBoy
05-08-2006, 08:48 AM
IMO, i think you should do a little bit of research so you get to know exactly how much work you're going to be needing to do for such a swap. personally, i'd take a non vtec over a vtec engine anyday. mostly for the part that i'd rather have simplicity and i dont want to change. but yeah, i'd check up on that engine and see if he's taken car of it and whatnot. on topic of having a vtec head, you can later on swap the head and parts on, but i dont know if you wanna do that. personally, if i was going to do an engine swap for only 160 hp, i'd rather go for one of the B16's, B18's, or B20's, just because those prove to be more practical.

Vector
05-08-2006, 12:15 PM
personally, if i was going to do an engine swap for only 160 hp, i'd rather go for one of the B16's, B18's, or B20's, just because those prove to be more practical.

those other engines have seem to be dificult for me to locate in my area, some of the wrecking yards i've been to have had them, hell even pick and pull had one, for like a day. the other ones that i have been able to locate are fk'n expensive, i'd rather buy a wrecked car with one. i've decided i'm going to pass this one up and keep experimenting with my a20a1 and a20a2 engines. cant seem to find a diference between the 2 besides the intake manifold aparently smaller by alittle being its out of a 86 and my a20a1 is a

thanks for the input guys.

Kabuki
05-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Personaly, for that kind of money I'd suggest a B20A swap. Same HP, though a little less torque, and far less custom work.

HondaBoy
05-09-2006, 01:28 PM
so the guy wants about a grand for the engine tranny and parts right? with about $1000, i could have some nice parts to put into my A20 and have it run pretty quick. personally i'd rather spend the money in the A20, because you're still going to spend a crap load of money on the swap more than likely.

Vector
05-09-2006, 01:38 PM
yep, thats about the conclusion i've come to.

HondaBoy
05-09-2006, 01:45 PM
yeah, i've had my car for about 4 years now. i thought about the engine swaps i could do, i decided if i want to do one, its going to be a B series 1.6, 1.8, or 2.0 that being my favorite. but i'd rather do with what i have. i planned on doing a performance cylinder head with new valves and being machined down, street cam, dual carb manifold dual weber 40mm's, header, and possibly new pistons later on but i cant decide what company to go with. probably diamond pistons if i do decided to work on the block internals.