PDA

View Full Version : High price for gas

oldsteveo
05-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Any of you guys ever thought about making your own bio-diesel?
Got any pros and cons?
Any suggestions on how you started and how to put it together?
Thanks

PhydeauX
05-08-2006, 10:33 AM
... as long as you don't plan to run it in the accord...

diesel isn't going to run a gas motor and you can't convert the motor over. You could convert the accord to un on e85, though thats more of a eco-nut/stick it to the arabs thing since its not really any cheaper then gas and nets lower mpgs. I believe the weber DGV will handle alcohol, you'll have to upgrade the rest of your fuel system though.

If you plan to run it in a diesel...
I've head the waste vegitable oil based stuff can really do a number on your motor. Gumming up your rings. I can't remeber where I read the post about it but it was either on tdiclub.com or the tdi section of the vwvortex forums.

andy

DBMaster
05-08-2006, 12:42 PM
It would be pretty tough to convert one of our cars to E85. You would need a plastic (or other equivalent corrosion-proof material) and new rubber everywhere it came into contact with fuel - not a simple or cheap proposition.

PhydeauX
05-08-2006, 05:16 PM
You'd pretty much need a fuel cell, some alcohol rated, and an alcohol rated pump. Yeah thats a whole new fuel system. You probalby could get it all from summit for a couple hundred bucks. Not going to be a clean looking solution but its alot easier then converting the accord to diesel. You'd need to swap in a motor from a diesel rabbit or something for that ;).

andy

bullard123
05-21-2006, 02:26 PM
If you could pull that off that will be nice dude

snoopyloopy
05-21-2006, 03:26 PM
i don't think it'll be really worth it because the money you could spend on gas, you'd be spending to convert to something that may not even get as good mileage as you get now or better, but you won't know that till afterwards. not so bad of an idea if you have the money. the upside to that would being able to get free fuel from restaurants and the like when they throw out their oils from their deep fryers.

B16KILLA
05-21-2006, 03:41 PM
You can run a late 80's early 90's merecedes diesel on used french fry oil without any mods to the fuel system. I saw it on mythbuster..:)

1ajs
05-29-2006, 05:46 PM
if you left your car siting for a cuple months you could get mold growing in your motor and tank... you can buy some sorta solution you add ever once and a while to clean it out... owns a 1980 240D........... got it for free hehe its at my parents vaction property in belize now hehe