PDA

View Full Version : Oil leaks.....

LavaSurfer
05-08-2006, 11:25 PM
I have a small oil leak coming from the crank area on the front of the motor. The timing belt was done right before I bought the car, so I know at least some gaskets might have been replaced during that process. What is common in these cars to cause a leak? I'm guessing there is a crankshaft seal behind there that is causing my main leak....or does the oil pan curve around the timing cover similar to a small block chevy? What should I be looking at to replace?

Oldblueaccord
05-08-2006, 11:51 PM
I'd look at the oil pump itself. It s bolted to the block and runs off the timing belt.

Oil pan second and the front seal very last.

wp

88Accord-DX
05-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Rear main seal.

DBMaster
05-09-2006, 11:41 AM
Rear main seal? Not in the crank area.

I finally have an almost dry block after replacement of the oil pan gasket, oil pump, and cam and crank seals. My oil pump was the culprit for what had become a 1/2 quart per week leak. I had a big pan under the car for a while and it was a mess!

Pico
05-09-2006, 11:43 AM
Had the same problem after I did the timing belt,
turned out I got a bad cam seal,I went to the Honda dealer
and got one and havent had a problem since

LavaSurfer
05-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Looking at the FSM I do see the oil pump now. The diagram under timing belt replacement doesn't say that the pulley down there IS the oil pump, now looking at some other pictures I see how that could leak. When I get in there, I think I'm just going to replace EVERYTHING I see.

So, since I'm taking the oil pump out....should I get a new one and slap it in there....or is that not really considered a "wear" item? Also, in the pictures it looks like TB tensioner is spring loaded. If I get in there and see that is looks original, is this something that should be replaced also?

88Accord-DX
05-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Rear main seal? Not in the crank area.

Last time I checked it was, on the back of the crank.

Edit- I looked to quick at the thread at work, seen crank & rear main popped in my head. (won't do that again). Looks like he got it figured out.

88Accord-DX
05-09-2006, 04:53 PM
So, since I'm taking the oil pump out....should I get a new one and slap it in there....or is that not really considered a "wear" item? Also, in the pictures it looks like TB tensioner is spring loaded. If I get in there and see that is looks original, is this something that should be replaced also?
If you had access to a mechanical oil pressure gauge to screw in block, could see what the pressure is. Oil pump does have a wear limit, need a feeler gauge & measure the inner & outer rotor tip clearance. Not sure of the specs. Use a new O-ring on the front & back of it. Either emerse the oil pump in oil or pack with petroleum jelly before you install it.

Edit- If that TB spring looks like it is weak, replace it. Just for future TB adjustments.

Oldblueaccord
05-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Looking at the FSM I do see the oil pump now. The diagram under timing belt replacement doesn't say that the pulley down there IS the oil pump, now looking at some other pictures I see how that could leak. When I get in there, I think I'm just going to replace EVERYTHING I see.

Well I changed mine at about after a timing belt I think maybe at the 235k mark. At about 150k miles I noticed that I would get a little rattle on start cold or if the oil needed changing. A new oil pump cured this. The old one looked fine no wear seen and even the feeler guauge was ok if you can figure out how to jam them in there to check it.

That pump ended up leaking out the back of the shaft so I thought it was my frt seal. I changed the frnt seal 3 times. The third being with a speedi sleeve on the crank ,I then just went to the pump before I was gonna give up.

Westside Honda here told me they never sell frnt seals but pumps and cam seals they sell all the time. Guess I shoulda listen.

wp